Eating bacon every morning, what are your thoughts?

Options
24

Replies

  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I would eat a couple of strips each day. I wouldn't eat a 12 or 16oz package of it everyday.

    I would not eat 2 strips each day if I were also eating hot dogs or cold cuts everyday.

    I am of the opinion that if there is enough smoke to suggest a fire then moderation seems like a reasonable approach. I have heard how evil nitrates were for more than 30 years. I am smart enough to know that additional risk is not certain risk or I would never go anywhere in my car, live inside, eat anything, or breathe.

    I eat it about once every 6 weeks and usually 4 strips initially and then a couple of strips here and there as leftovers until it is gone again.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    The increase in risk doesn't seem to be significant, if it's just that I will keep eating my bacon :D . I was more concerned about the immediate or short term effects.

    If you have other reasons to believe you might have an increased risk of colon cancer, it might be wise to be extra careful with things that may have some correlation to further increased risk, like processed meats. Otherwise you are correct, I believe it raises the typical colon cancer risk from 7% to 8%.

    If you are at all concerned about saturated fat, and you are getting lots of sat fat in your diet, you might want to determine if your daily bacon is the easiest place to cut back or if you might want to look at other sources. Assuming as I said that you are concerned about the level of saturated fat in your diet.

    Otherwise, it's really more useful to look at the entirety of your diet. If your diet including your daily bacon has your numbers where you want them to be, then there is probably no reason to worry about it. If your diet overall is in fact problematic, then you need to compare the pros and cons of your yummy bacon with other things you eat and go from there.

    I tend to go on bacon kicks where I enjoy having a few slices every day for a couple of weeks, then I couldn't care less for it until the next kick errr kicks in. I happen to be on one right now :smiley:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I would eat a couple of strips each day. I wouldn't eat a 12 or 16oz package of it everyday.

    I would not eat 2 strips each day if I were also eating hot dogs or cold cuts everyday.

    I am of the opinion that if there is enough smoke to suggest a fire then moderation seems like a reasonable approach. I have heard how evil nitrates were for more than 30 years. I am smart enough to know that additional risk is not certain risk or I would never go anywhere in my car, live inside, eat anything, or breathe.

    I eat it about once every 6 weeks and usually 4 strips initially and then a couple of strips here and there as leftovers until it is gone again.

    I don't have it very often but you can mitigate some of the risk by buying smoked all natural bacon that is nitrite and nitrate free. It's more expensive but, to me, tastes better
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I would eat a couple of strips each day. I wouldn't eat a 12 or 16oz package of it everyday.

    I would not eat 2 strips each day if I were also eating hot dogs or cold cuts everyday.

    I am of the opinion that if there is enough smoke to suggest a fire then moderation seems like a reasonable approach. I have heard how evil nitrates were for more than 30 years. I am smart enough to know that additional risk is not certain risk or I would never go anywhere in my car, live inside, eat anything, or breathe.

    I eat it about once every 6 weeks and usually 4 strips initially and then a couple of strips here and there as leftovers until it is gone again.

    I don't have it very often but you can mitigate some of the risk by buying smoked all natural bacon that is nitrite and nitrate free. It's more expensive but, to me, tastes better

    @mmapags I have been buying lower sodium bacon because I got it by accident one time and I think it tastes better. Do you have a preferred brand on the all natural? I am not sure I eat enough of it to worry but I am always game to try some new.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I would eat a couple of strips each day. I wouldn't eat a 12 or 16oz package of it everyday.

    I would not eat 2 strips each day if I were also eating hot dogs or cold cuts everyday.

    I am of the opinion that if there is enough smoke to suggest a fire then moderation seems like a reasonable approach. I have heard how evil nitrates were for more than 30 years. I am smart enough to know that additional risk is not certain risk or I would never go anywhere in my car, live inside, eat anything, or breathe.

    I eat it about once every 6 weeks and usually 4 strips initially and then a couple of strips here and there as leftovers until it is gone again.

    I don't have it very often but you can mitigate some of the risk by buying smoked all natural bacon that is nitrite and nitrate free. It's more expensive but, to me, tastes better

    @mmapags I have been buying lower sodium bacon because I got it by accident one time and I think it tastes better. Do you have a preferred brand on the all natural? I am not sure I eat enough of it to worry but I am always game to try some new.

    Appleton is probably the largest producer. I think theirs is Sunday Bacon. But I've found more local or regional producers. There were a couple when I lived outside of Philly and there is a really good one when I go and visit my daughter in Portland, Oregon. I find it in Safeway there. Check the bacon section and look for no nitrites/ nitrates on the packaging. And I agree on the low sodium. A good low sodium smoked bacon has a great almost sweet flavor.

    The one I get in Portland is Hempler's and it's low sodium, applewood smoked, nitrate/nitrite free and all natural no antibiotics pork. It tends to be pretty lean too. Enough fat to cook it but 2 or 3 pieces give you some decent protein.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I came here for the bacon but I have to ask. How the hell does one die from bed sheet entanglement??? I mean this actually happens???? SMH

    Now, back to my deliciously crispy bacon. <3
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I would eat a couple of strips each day. I wouldn't eat a 12 or 16oz package of it everyday.

    I would not eat 2 strips each day if I were also eating hot dogs or cold cuts everyday.

    I am of the opinion that if there is enough smoke to suggest a fire then moderation seems like a reasonable approach. I have heard how evil nitrates were for more than 30 years. I am smart enough to know that additional risk is not certain risk or I would never go anywhere in my car, live inside, eat anything, or breathe.

    I eat it about once every 6 weeks and usually 4 strips initially and then a couple of strips here and there as leftovers until it is gone again.

    I don't have it very often but you can mitigate some of the risk by buying smoked all natural bacon that is nitrite and nitrate free. It's more expensive but, to me, tastes better

    Read the footnotes on the label of your bacon package. "Natural, nitrate-free" bacon has nitrates. They just get the nitrates from celery. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be using dehydrated or concentrated celery juice to make bacon if they didn't need a way to get nitrates in the bacon.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

    Have you read the study attached to the article, it's based on self-reported questionnaires, by no means a controlled study of diet/lifestyle. Results were that increased cancer risk was associated with intake of red meat. Meaning it's correlative rather than causitive.

    How would you personally go about designing a research methodology for a longitudinal study of the health effects of what people are eating (assuming that you want to attract a very large number of participants)? Of course, take into account the cost that would be involved in providing a meal kits to hundreds of thousands of people over the course of 16 months (never mind the logistical issues outside of the cost). Given that I typically participate as a researcher in qualitative research (and in the humanities), I'd be interested in reading your ideas.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I would eat a couple of strips each day. I wouldn't eat a 12 or 16oz package of it everyday.

    I would not eat 2 strips each day if I were also eating hot dogs or cold cuts everyday.

    I am of the opinion that if there is enough smoke to suggest a fire then moderation seems like a reasonable approach. I have heard how evil nitrates were for more than 30 years. I am smart enough to know that additional risk is not certain risk or I would never go anywhere in my car, live inside, eat anything, or breathe.

    I eat it about once every 6 weeks and usually 4 strips initially and then a couple of strips here and there as leftovers until it is gone again.

    I don't have it very often but you can mitigate some of the risk by buying smoked all natural bacon that is nitrite and nitrate free. It's more expensive but, to me, tastes better

    @mmapags I have been buying lower sodium bacon because I got it by accident one time and I think it tastes better. Do you have a preferred brand on the all natural? I am not sure I eat enough of it to worry but I am always game to try some new.

    Appleton is probably the largest producer. I think theirs is Sunday Bacon. But I've found more local or regional producers. There were a couple when I lived outside of Philly and there is a really good one when I go and visit my daughter in Portland, Oregon. I find it in Safeway there. Check the bacon section and look for no nitrites/ nitrates on the packaging. And I agree on the low sodium. A good low sodium smoked bacon has a great almost sweet flavor.

    The one I get in Portland is Hempler's and it's low sodium, applewood smoked, nitrate/nitrite free and all natural no antibiotics pork. It tends to be pretty lean too. Enough fat to cook it but 2 or 3 pieces give you some decent protein.

    I said Appleton but it's really Applegate. Often found in regular grocery stores.
  • maddog1962mjm
    maddog1962mjm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bacon is high in protein and low in carbs so must be dieters friend right?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Bacon is high in protein and low in carbs so must be dieters friend right?

    It's not particularly high in protein -- one example I just looked at has 80 cal for 2 slices (it's also not so high cal as some think), with only 4 g of protein, 8 g of fat.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Bacon is high in protein and low in carbs so must be dieters friend right?

    It's not particularly high in protein -- one example I just looked at has 80 cal for 2 slices (it's also not so high cal as some think), with only 4 g of protein, 8 g of fat.

    That's why you have it with eggs. DUH! :D
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I came here for the bacon but I have to ask. How the hell does one die from bed sheet entanglement??? I mean this actually happens???? SMH

    Now, back to my deliciously crispy bacon. <3

    I suspect dying from bed sheet entanglement is an attempt at sexual gratification gone wrong.

    Didn't think of that. Now I'm sorry I asked. :#:D
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Nitrates and nitrites are just another example of food scare pseudo-science. There is not actual proof of a causal connection between nitrites and gastroenterological cancers or an understanding of any mechanism by which they supposedly cause the cancers. All there is is a weak casual relationship shown by statistical comparisons of populations who eat bacon and nitrite containing meats and populations that don't.

    Could it be that people who eat bacon might also have other reasons to have this tiny, tiny fraction more cancers?
  • shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you go to the Waffle House you must have bacon with your waffle. Breakfast at any New Jersey dinner also requires bacon. Additionally, I will eat bacon when and where I choose. BACON TO THE END!!!

  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    The increase in risk doesn't seem to be significant, if it's just that I will keep eating my bacon :D . I was more concerned about the immediate or short term effects.

    I tend to go on bacon kicks where I enjoy having a few slices every day for a couple of weeks, then I couldn't care less for it until the next kick errr kicks in. I happen to be on one right now :smiley:

    Yes I have phases like this, I was eating oatmeal every morning for months and now i'm on the eggs and bacon train. I don't know how long it will last :D .
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    BACON!! <3giphy.gif
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Eating bacon every morning would be ideal... but I only eat it freshly cooked and don't feel like making time to cook and clean every day!