Intermittent fasting side effect

Options
My husband had cancer and other awful scary health crises, which he survived, but he needs to gain weight and we have frozen yogurt and cookies in the house which was pretty difficult for me. Then on January 1, 2020, I started intermittent fasting 16:8 (8 hour eating window) and 2 days a week of 500 calorie semi-fasts as recommended by my doctor. Besides weight loss I have totally lost my sweet tooth! IF wins!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss.

What you are likely experiencing can be chalked up to is known as the honeymoon phase. IF is just an eating schedule, but it's obviously working for you with consistent calorie control.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Agreed, IF is useless for weight loss without calorie control. Whatever the reason, I'm happy with it. I also find myself more satisfied with less food.
  • spande345
    spande345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started IF on Jan. 13. I have lost a couple of pounds but I thought the weight loss will be more rapid. How can I fix this? I am a lacto ovo vegetarian. Thanks.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    spande345 wrote: »
    I started IF on Jan. 13. I have lost a couple of pounds but I thought the weight loss will be more rapid. How can I fix this? I am a lacto ovo vegetarian. Thanks.

Are you counting calories as well? A little under a pound a week is a good rate of loss, but if you want to lose faster you need to create a bigger deficit by eating fewer calories and/or increasing activity. The food you eat and the eating schedule you choose don't have any impact on weight loss unless they help you manage your calories to create the proper deficit for the rate of loss you want.