Eating bacon every morning, what are your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »

Have you read the study attached to the article, it's based on self-reported questionnaires, by no means a controlled study of diet/lifestyle. Results were that increased cancer risk was associated with intake of red meat. Meaning it's correlative rather than causitive.

Otherwise we should all stop eating cheese, in case we might die from our bedsheets

xey30ko8ogg6.png
    Source: https://tylervigen.com/old-version.html

This is not really true in regards to processed meats. Processed meats are classified as a Group 1 carcinogen by the WHO and IARC, which is their highest rating level. That means that there is convincing evidence that consumption is causative of an increase cancer risk in humans (in this case colorectal cancer). I can't really speak to the specific study in the article, but the link between processed meats and cancer risk is substantial enough for it to get that designation, which they don't give lightly.

You can read more about it here: https://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

But to answer the OPs question: eating bacon and other processed meats daily would raise their colorectal cancer risk. That can still be true even if bacon is yummy.

I eat plenty of bacon. I just am realistic about the science.

To put it in perspective though, your standard risk of colorectal cancer is 5%. So if you eat it daily, your risk goes up to 6-6.5%. And that is based off epidemiological studies.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    First, the WHO is a political organization Hell bent on eliminating meat as a primary protein source. They said so.

Second, the secret words are "epidemiological studies." Those are statistical studies done by mathematicians. Not scientists.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    yolo
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Have you read the study attached to the article, it's based on self-reported questionnaires, by no means a controlled study of diet/lifestyle. Results were that increased cancer risk was associated with intake of red meat. Meaning it's correlative rather than causitive.

Otherwise we should all stop eating cheese, in case we might die from our bedsheets

xey30ko8ogg6.png

This is not really true in regards to processed meats. Processed meats are classified as a Group 1 carcinogen by the WHO and IARC, which is their highest rating level. That means that there is convincing evidence that consumption is causative of an increase cancer risk in humans (in this case colorectal cancer). I can't really speak to the specific study in the article, but the link between processed meats and cancer risk is substantial enough for it to get that designation, which they don't give lightly.

You can read more about it here: https://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

But to answer the OPs question: eating bacon and other processed meats daily would raise their colorectal cancer risk. That can still be true even if bacon is yummy.

To put it in perspective though, your standard risk of colorectal cancer is 5%. So if you eat it daily, your risk goes up to 6-6.5%. And that is based off epidemiological studies.

That's still a pretty big absolute risk jump. Assuming we take the numbers as accurate, and given the mortality rate of colectoral cancer (36% in 5 years), you are looking at about the same risk of dying from colectoral cancer tied to a diet high in processed meat intake as you are from a homocide in your lifetime (USA) . So yes still low, but not exactly like it's a rare occurance.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Highly processed meats like bacon, lunch meat, and sausages have been linked to colon cancer. No thanks.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

xey30ko8ogg6.png

That's still a pretty big absolute risk jump. Assuming we take the numbers as accurate, and given the mortality rate of colectoral cancer (36% in 5 years), you are looking at about the same risk of dying from colectoral cancer tied to a diet high in processed meat intake as you are from a homocide in your lifetime (USA) . So yes still low, but not exactly like it's a rare occurance.

If I live outside the US, and promise not to taunt homicidal maniacs, can I have enough bacon to make up the difference? :wink:
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Love bacon, but the thought of having it daily for me anyway would diminish the enjoyment of it and of eating variety of breakfast fare.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Highly processed meats like bacon, lunch meat, and sausages have been linked to colon cancer. No thanks.

You didn't read the whole thread did you?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

xey30ko8ogg6.png

If I live outside the US, and promise not to taunt homicidal maniacs, can I have enough bacon to make up the difference? :wink:

Do you also promise to be very careful about ice fishing accidents? If so, yes.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    One is twice as likely to have a fatal car accident if one drives in the rain at night. So stay home and eat lots of bacon instead.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I like it but wouldn't eat it daily. There are nitrates and stuff in it that I try to keep to only the occasional indulgence. That said, if you're healthy it probably won't hurt you. I'm not the best example to go by.
  • Urun4me
    Urun4me Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just don't put the George Foreman grill on the floor next to your bed.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Not understanding what the problem is? I would eat bacon everyday, but maybe you'd get tired of it? If not...go for it. Bacon is delicious!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

xey30ko8ogg6.png

Do you also promise to be very careful about ice fishing accidents? If so, yes.

I don't like the cold, so ice fishing is most definitely avoided. Yay, bacon!
  • TheresaEdwardsmfp
    TheresaEdwardsmfp Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I always thought that bacon was low fat. Any diet I've been on always said bacon and an egg in the morning.?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I always thought that bacon was low fat. Any diet I've been on always said bacon and an egg in the morning.?

Not sure where you got that from. Both eggs and bacon are high fat. Eggs get about 65% of their calories from fat and bacon when raw is about 90% of calories from fat (when it is cooked, some of the fat cooks out, so it will usually be somewhere between 70-80% fat).

Bacon and egg are almost no carb, which is why they are a staple in those diets. They can also be part of a calorie counting diet, as they are both moderate in calories and can be controlled into reasobable portion sizes fairly easily.

But they are definitely not low fat and wouldn't be eaten in any diet trying to bill itself as such.

Idk what bacon you buy, but mine is 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carb.
  • TheresaEdwardsmfp
    TheresaEdwardsmfp Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was following a diet from a magazine, sounds stupid when I say it, but that's what I did. When u read it in a magazine or newspaper u think its proper. But maybe its not, cause ur concerns, I thought of those too.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

Not sure where you got that from. Both eggs and bacon are high fat. Eggs get about 65% of their calories from fat and bacon when raw is about 90% of calories from fat (when it is cooked, some of the fat cooks out, so it will usually be somewhere between 70-80% fat).

Bacon and egg are almost no carb, which is why they are a staple in those diets. They can also be part of a calorie counting diet, as they are both moderate in calories and can be controlled into reasobable portion sizes fairly easily.

But they are definitely not low fat and wouldn't be eaten in any diet trying to bill itself as such.

Idk what bacon you buy, but mine is 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carb.

Raw? Most labels will list nutrition label a cooking method, which as I mentioned, reduces the the fat content of it so the fat to protein ratio will change. That will bring it if well done to about 70-30 fat to protein. If you don't cook it well done, there will be more fat. Here is nutrition for it raw. Claims of 5% carbs is basically due to rounding on portion sizes. In reality it is maybe 1% at most.

i44lr5ld870s.jpg
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I feel really well after eating a lb of bacon. One of the things that makes life good. I try to eat 1-3 lbs a week. I usually go for lower sodium bacon but supplement Redmond salt.