Marathon

Options
How many days roughly does it take to train for a marathon? Just started jogging

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Well couch to 5k plans are basically 30 to 60 days.
    If not a runner if you got to a marathon in less then 2 years that would be impressive.
  • LockdownLoser23
    LockdownLoser23 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Marathon training plans are generally about 18 weeks. But they aren't designed for beginning runners, they're for people that already have a comfortable base of weekly miles. I would want at least a year of consistent running at least 20-25 miles a week before I began training for a marathon.

Weeks??!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    How many days roughly does it take to train for a marathon? Just started jogging

Just started can be a lot of things. For an obese individual jogging a mile might be impossible to start, but for someone else, starting might mean they can a 5k around a 30-something minutes pace already.
    There's also individual response and individual expectations. Finishing a marathon is a lot easier if 10 hours is an acceptable time - heck if someone is willing to take 13 hours, a marathon could be considered achievable right now for many people willing to deal with pain and blisters the next day.

Personally, I went from running typically 5k distances around the end of May at around an 8:35 min/mi pace, to doing 10K at 8:31 pace at the end of Jun to doing a half marathon distance August 10th at a 9:00 min/mi pace. Never felt like taking the time for a marathon distance. I was only doing longer runs about 1/week with shorter ~1-2mi jogs regularly, and still strength training at the time.
  • LockdownLoser23
    Options

Just started can be a lot of things. For an obese individual jogging a mile might be impossible to start, but for someone else, starting might mean they can a 5k around a 30-something minutes pace already.
    There's also individual response and individual expectations. Finishing a marathon is a lot easier if 10 hours is an acceptable time - heck if someone is willing to take 13 hours, a marathon could be considered achievable right now for many people willing to deal with pain and blisters the next day.

Personally, I went from running typically 5k distances around the end of May at around an 8:35 min/mi pace, to doing 10K at 8:31 pace at the end of Jun to doing a half marathon distance August 10th at a 9:00 min/mi pace. Never felt like taking the time for a marathon distance. I was only doing longer runs about 1/week with shorter ~1-2mi jogs regularly, and still strength training at the time.

Thanks for telling me your story about you :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Marathon training plans are generally about 18 weeks. But they aren't designed for beginning runners, they're for people that already have a comfortable base of weekly miles. I would want at least a year of consistent running at least 20-25 miles a week before I began training for a marathon.

Weeks??!

Did you expect it to be longer or shorter?

For most people, running a marathon is a substantial physical and mental effort. It takes time to get your body to the point where you can take that on while minimizing the risk of injury. However, as @magnusthenerd says, if you find a marathon with a course limit that is long enough and you're willing to risk the hurt, you can probably get through it without putting in as much training. Many marathons are going to cut you off at 6-7 hours, so if this is your plan make sure you check the rules before signing up.
  • LockdownLoser23
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

I would say in the ballpark of 165 to 735 days, depending on your level of fitness, past running experience or not, how often you train, etc.

Pretty precise - cheers man
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    too many variables to be able to give a precise answer...what is your background physically? not just running but in general? how often are you currently doing some kind of cardio? etc
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, when you say "marathon" you are referring to 26.2 miles, right? I only ask because some people refer to shorter races as marathons, but a true marathon is 26.2 miles and is the distance all of these responses are referring to.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

I would say in the ballpark of 165 to 735 days, depending on your level of fitness, past running experience or not, how often you train, etc.

Pretty precise - cheers man

Pretty accurate. Without more details, it's difficult to be precise. As a beginning runner, it would be prudent to err on the side of caution and go with the higher number. Especially if you're not particularly fit.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    There are 24-30 week programs for new runners that go from 1 mile to marathon. (i.e. https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/novice-supreme/ The problem with going from couch to marathon is that most people don't have the basic fitness and muscular development to do it without getting injured. It takes time for bones, joints, muscles, and ligaments to develop enough to handle the impact of running for 26.2 miles. Also, most novice plans will get you to the start line, but not necessarily to the finish line. Marathons are hard, even for experienced runners. It is a better idea to take a year or more to build up to a half marathon, then run a marathon a year or so later. Build a solid mileage base. Do some short races. Learn the strategies involved in racing a long race. Strengthen your body and learn about training it. Be patient. Training for a marathon takes a lot of commitment. There is no need to rush the process. As someone who tried, I know that getting injured sucks.
    Thanks, I had not thought of that part when conveying my experience. My body was already conditioned for a lot of the max forces in those things, even if not as much for the repetitive things.

Detox - I think everyone in this thread has gone into more detail than you. You've not stated much of what just started means for you - can you run a mile or how far can you run if less or more? What pace when you do?
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    depends on the person, and their goals. I did my first marathon after just 4 months of running, I do not recommend that, it was hard, very hard, and took me 6 1/2 hours to complete. I would recommend getting in the groove of running on a regular basis for a few months, then start a novice training program. Id say a year total maybe.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    too many variables to be able to give a precise answer...what is your background physically? not just running but in general? how often are you currently doing some kind of cardio? etc

Right -- how fit are you, what's your prior cardio experience? Does it include any distance biking? You just started jogging -- did you run in the past, did you switch from another sport?
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I would say 6 months is the minimum if you are not already running 1/2 marathon distances. I trained through the USA Fit program, which is 26 weeks + 3 pre-train weeks. By the end of the pre-train weeks, you should be able to mostly run 3 miles without extreme discomfort. I trained with a run/walk group that ran 5 minutes/walked 1 minute repeat. I was not a runner to start. And the 3 miles were pretty slow. But I finished my first marathon after 6 months of training, within the 6 hour time limit. I was overweight at the time, but just barely not in the obese category. That being said, marathon training is not the best thing to do while overweight, and is not the best lose weight method by any means. In fact, I did not lose any weight running marathons. Unfortunately, at long distances, you need to do calorie replacement, possibly even while running.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Took me 2.5 years to get a reliable base without overuse injury. 4 months to actively train. I ran about 12 half marathons before and during training.

It is a commitment. It is also great fun. Do.not.think.you.can.just.go.do.it. Without a proper base. Use a training plan.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I went from zero to running my first marathon in around 2 years.
    I now have a base of running 10-13 miles regularly but would still want to have at least 16 weeks to train for a marathon

eta : I probably *could* go run a marathon tomorrow, but it wouldn't be pretty and it wouldnt be a time I'm happy with. But I have a high level of activity and am used to running/working out with tired legs
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Running changes at mile 18. Failing to prepare to run distances over that length will lead to a really bad experience.

Totally agree with this. My first marathon I followed a beginners plan that only took me to 16miles, which means I didnt hit the wall in training. Of course I did hit it in the actual marathon, and I remember walking for around 2 miles in tears because I just wanted to curl up on the side of the road.

Second (and 3rd they were 2 weeks apart), I followed a modified intermediate/advanced plan that took me up to 20-22miles. My trainer decided I needed to do the 22, I hated her for it, but was so grateful when it came to the actual marathons. Yes I hit the wall both times, but I knew I could get through because I had in training.
    I'm not a fast runner, but I got a pr in both marathons and took 50+minutes off my time from the year before