How many cals do you have

Options
Hi I’m
Presently 14 stone 3 lbs and have entered 1.5 lbs weight loss a week. Comes out 1730cals a day is this right?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Depends on your age, height, and Daily Activity (like your job/school etc.,) too. I think it sounds like a pretty good number. Try it for a month to six weeks by tracking your food and see how you do.
  • Dawda01
    Dawda01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am 45, very active exercise 3-5 times a week. 5 foot 5
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Dawda01 wrote: »
    I am 45, very active exercise 3-5 times a week. 5 foot 5

Okay, but the "Activity Level" doesn't even care about your exercise. On this site, you are expected to add your purposeful exercise to the Exercise tab and eat more on those days.

The Activity Level is about your daily work/school/home routine.

There is a good post with a graphic here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

...and read this: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm 37F and 5'6". Trying to lose 10 more lbs at .5 lbs a week. My activity level is highly variable so I set it to sedentary and then add in exercise. B/c my weight is already normal, I get 1390 cals per day....so I really try to get my steps to increase the cushion. Most days I eat 1550 to 1700.
  • thescouselander77
    thescouselander77 Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    MFP looks to be miles out for me. I started out with an estimated maintenance level of 2500 cal per day (which I thought was low) and a target of 2200 cal per day to lose 0.25 kg a week. This was based on being lightly active as I have a desk job

In fact I've been averaging 2350 cal per day and losing an average of 0.4kg a week which probably puts my maintenance cals at about 2900 per day.

I'm a male weighing 86kg / 189 lbs

Probably the best thing is to go with the estimated figures and adjust from there.