Hoping that accountability will lead to success

Options
Hello, my name is Carole aka scotex89, which relates to the fact that I am Scottish and Texan. I left Scotland in 1989. I had another account on my fitness pal a few years ago. I lost 9 pounds, but I didn't stick to it. So I am beginning again. My naturopath has put me on an anti-inflammatory diet and he wants me to track what I am eating. He says research shows that when we do that, even if we don't follow a diet, we can lose weight. I am up for that for sure. Looking forward to getting to know y'all (Texan for you all :D ) and learning from your experience.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    scotex89 wrote: »
    Hello, my name is Carole aka scotex89, which relates to the fact that I am Scottish and Texan. I left Scotland in 1989. I had another account on my fitness pal a few years ago. I lost 9 pounds, but I didn't stick to it. So I am beginning again. My naturopath has put me on an anti-inflammatory diet and he wants me to track what I am eating. He says research shows that when we do that, even if we don't follow a diet, we can lose weight. I am up for that for sure. Looking forward to getting to know y'all (Texan for you all :D ) and learning from your experience.

Best of luck, don't think I'd be convinced by the Naturopath's spiel though. If you're overeating (anti-inflammatory foods or not) you're gonna gain weight. I'd be curious to see this research, has he shared it with you?
  • scotex89
    scotex89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No. He hasn't but I will do some research for myself and let you know.
  • scotex89
    Options
    His point was that when we start paying attention to what we are eating, it tends to lead to changes. I entered an instant oatmeal today and was shocked when I saw how much sugar was in it, so I am going to make my next oatmeal myself and add raisins instead of sugar. Cutting the 14g of sugar, will help my weight loss.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    His point was that when we start paying attention to what we are eating, it tends to lead to changes. I entered an instant oatmeal today and was shocked when I saw how much sugar was in it, so I am going to make my next oatmeal myself and add raisins instead of sugar. Cutting the 14g of sugar, will help my weight loss.

Only if that reduces your calorie intake. Raisins also have sugar, albeit not added sugar, a small box of raisins (around 15g) contains about 8g Sugar. There is also naturally occuring sugar in oats - around 1g for a 40g portion.

You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn, regardless of what diet you're eating.

I'm not saying that's not a better choice for nutrition, you'll be getting some vitamins that you might not have been getting (if the instant oatmeal isn't fortified like a lot of cereals are). But the difference is going to be minute in terms of weight loss. 9g Sugar is 36 calories and 15g sugar is 60 calories.

• tinkerbellang83
    Options

Oh I thought you were saying the research was about the anti-inflammatory diet not the tracking, yes tracking is helpful.
  • rockbam123
    rockbam123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Howdy from Texas! Tracking does help you become aware of your macros, also provides revelation related to portion size. Which is what most of us tend to get wrong when estimating how much we eat. Weighing your food is critical when tracking.
  • scotex89
    Options
    What I am finding, from using this app for a couple of days, is the nutrient content of my daily consumption. I had no idea before. I am working with a naturopath and he asked me to use myfitnesspal. I am glad he did. The impetus with him is to get me healthy; for me it is health and weight-loss.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Before I found MFP, I had so many misconceptions about weight loss and fitness. So glad I found it. Ironically I found out about it on the Weight Watchers message board. ;)

Wishing you every success!
  • scotex89
    Options
    Thanks for the good wishes. I am very hopeful that this time I can learn better habits and maintain them longterm.