Venous insufficiency & lymphedema

Options
Anyone out there in the community with venous insufficiency and/or lymphedema? I’m hoping that losing some weight will help with my condition. It’s hard to get motivated to exercise when my legs hurt all the time and swell every day, but if some of you have seen improvement with diet and exercise, it would give me hope!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @estherdragonbat, are you there?

@LavishMeerkat70, just given a shout out for the above long term MFP member as I think she also had these problems.

Over time she lost quite a bit of weight and had significant improvements.

I’m totally unsure if weight loss can cure lymphedema and vascular insufficiency, but I do know estherdragonbat had fewer problems once she had lost weight.

You could always do a search for her name and read what she has said on it if you get no further feedback.

Cheers, h.
    @estherdragonbat, I miss you.
  • LavishMeerkat70
    LavishMeerkat70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I know there’s no cure, but this is encouraging!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    @estherdragonbat, are you there?

@LavishMeerkat70, just given a shout out for the above long term MFP member as I think she also had these problems.

Over time she lost quite a bit of weight and had significant improvements.

I’m totally unsure if weight loss can cure lymphedema and vascular insufficiency, but I do know estherdragonbat had fewer problems once she had lost weight.

You could always do a search for her name and read what she has said on it if you get no further feedback.

Cheers, h.
    @estherdragonbat, I miss you.

Awww! I'm around, just haven't had much urge to post lately.

But yes. My "tale of woe" started in September 2016, when I contracted cellulitus... which developed into lymphedema. Long story short, I was referred to a vascular surgeon who diagnosed chronic venous insufficiency. Thankfully, unlike you, my legs didn't hurt. It felt like my left one was sporting a blood pressure cuff 24x7 (pressure, not pain) and I had a weeping wound that wouldn't quit. So I had daily nurse visits to change the dressing while doctors threw antibiotics at it until one worked.

The vascular surgeon gave me two instructions: get compression stockings (he wrote me the prescription, but I couldn't fill it until the wound healed) and lose weight. At the time, I weighed 254lbs at 5'3".

I joined MFP on October 30th 2016, fed in my stats, got a calorie goal, and got going. Walking is my preferred exercise, but I've run a 5K for the last two summers (as in trained for and ran one race each summer; not ran 5K routinely several times a week) and just signed up for the one being held at the end of August.

Right now, I'm struggling to lose the last 10-15 lbs, but I've gone from Obesity III to slightly overweight. Still in the stockings and expect to be for the rest of my life (unless surgery becomes recommended; apparently it's an option in some cases, but in general, the preference is for less-invasive treatments), but I haven't had a flare-up since March 2017, when my treadmill unexpectedly accelerated and threw me off at 5.3mph—at which point I landed on my shins on the broadloom and scraped both legs badly. This is also known to history as "The Day My Treadmill Tried To Kill Me..."

Yes, there is hope. But take any cut or scrape on your leg very seriously. Like run, don't walk, to the Neosporin/rubbing alcohol, etc. Do what you need to to minimize bug bites or other things that could cause you to scratch and bleed (bug repellent, long pants, etc). I've found that because my stockings are thigh-highs, and because the body adhesive I use to keep them up can sometimes fail, especially in winter—cold temperatures interfere with the sticking power—but possible at any time of the year, I wear leggings over them. (For religious reasons, I always wear skirts, so leggings under the skirt.) It's that or risk wardrobe malfunction. But these are necessary annoyances. Nothing compared to having that weeping wound, where I had to schedule my showers for just before the nurse visits. (The dressing couldn't get wet, so I had to hope that 1. the nurse would call ahead of time to let me know when to expect them and 2. that they would give me at least 20 minutes notice, not 'I'm just turning the corner onto your street; I should be ringing your bell in about 30 seconds...')

It was an adjustment, but these days, it's just routine.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I had DVT in my left leg in 2009. My leg from just above the knee all the way down was chock full of clots. Some veins were completely blocked.

It took months to clear, and I thought I got away without residual effects until about a year ago when I noticed a rash on my lower left leg that didn't seem to clear up. In the last couple months it has gotten worse, so finally I asked my Dr about it and she told me I've got Venous Eczema which is associated with venous insufficiency.

She said, and I quote, "Your DVT was very serious and now your veins are stuffed." She went on to tell me I needed to do the following ...

-- sit with my feet up, preferably above my heart. I do sit with my feet up at home, but probably need to raise them higher.
    -- wear compression stockings. Ugh. They're OK in the winter, but I don't like them in the summer.
    -- rub a cream on my leg to help protect the skin.
    -- keep exercising ... get up and move frequently throughout the day.

Lately I've been noticing that my leg swells and hurts when I start to walk, but if I keep walking it eases off. And creaming the leg well before going out for a walk also seems to help.

• LavishMeerkat70
    LavishMeerkat70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @estherdragonbat and @Machka9

Thanks for sharing! I was diagnosed in 2015. My legs have always felt heavy, and by the end of the day feel like sausages stuffed in a tight casing, but I didn’t know what it was. In 2015 I developed a DVT in my left calf just out of the blue. After some tests, I was diagnosed with severe venous insufficiency and Factor V Leiden which causes my blood to clot more than normal. I’ll be on blood thinner for the rest of my life, and I have to wear compression stockings too (hate them, but I wear them). I had vein closure surgery in both legs in 2015, and I’m sorry to say it didn’t help me at all.

I’m 5’7” and 155 lbs so I’m not terribly overweight, but all my weight is below my waist. I often wonder how much of it is fat and how much is fluid. My goal in losing a little weight is to see if it helps ease the pain and pressure in my legs.

I read up on lymphatic massage - I do a version of that to myself at home as often as I can, and that does seem to help a little. The compression stockings make a difference but only a little. By the end of the day they are actually painful to wear.