lunch/snacks to bring to school?

Options
Would like some different ideas of what people bring for their lunches and snacks when they're at school for the day. I have about a 4 hour chunk of time in between my classes and I've been using that to go workout and then I get something to eat. To save money, and have some more control over what I eat, I'm going to start bringing my own lunch, so I'm looking for some ideas for meals that don't have to be microwaved. I know there's a lot I can do with a sandwich, but I'm sure I'm going to get sick of them eventually.

I'd also like to bring some good snacks with me (no pre-packaged chips/crackers or things like that because I can never keep it in the house for more than a day).

Overall, the more the food relies on some actual prep and isn't something I could gorge on at night, the better.

Replies

• ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    salad wraps
    salads (I love bean salad! just 4 been mix and onions)
    smoothies (you can find thermos that keep things cold 12 hours so make in the morning and take with you)
    You can find lunch boxes that keep things hot all day so you make at night microwave before you leave and eat at lunch and it is still hot. I make stir fry veg and rice or noodles for my partner. You could just do left overs too.

snacks

oatmeal slices
    breakfast bars (home made dead easy)
    savoury muffins
    fruit (banana is great to prevent cramping)

You could always go for protein bars ect if you are doing weights

I am TERRIBLE at baking so I can make the above so can you! Also freeze them once made, so you have time to debate over eating it while it thaws.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Grapes and Baby carrots are easy
    A banana
    Fiber one makes a few 90 calorie snack bars
    String cheese
    Yogurt cup
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My work lunches tend to be collections of snacks, a handful of this, a handful of that. Usually veggies, fruit, nuts, and crackers. Light sour cream mixed with spices as a dip. Lately I've also been making spinach salads.

Once I get to school I'm going to be eating a lot of cereal, almonds, oranges, and popcorn.

You can buy bulk popcorn and microwave it in a normal paper bag for a butter/salt free version that keeps well. You could put cinnamon or cocoa powder in with it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    any type of sandwhich, proats, beef jerky, greek yogurt and fruit, homemade granola, hard boiled eggs and..Nutella & GO cups
  • BodyFreak
    Options
    Just make a meal plan consisting of different macro's. Example Cup of rice,Cup of Some sort of vegetables ( I prefer corn) And lean meats like chicken breasts,fish,turkey, etc... Make it before school (I do it a day before) & put it in a plastic container. If you have a rice maker you can add Teaspoon of olive oil for you fatty acids (Good fats), You got the corn and rice for carbs aka energy, lean meats for protein! Snacks you can get a low fat oatmeal granola bar with a protein drink if you have the money for powder. Hope this helps
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    canned tuna and crackers.

veggie sticks- celery, carrot, cucumber, capsicum.

fruit salads (homemade is best)
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    For light snacks, sometimes I bring cut up bell peppers and string cheese. Get my veggie with some protein. Laughing cow cheese is good but can be pricy.

Sometimes I keep dry crunch stuff in my desk when I got the munchies but not really that hungery. I get Kalvi crackers that are like 18 calories a single big cracker. They are a product of Norway. Most products of Norway don't have the strong flavors as American products but they are way less on calories so I don't have guilt. You might find them ethnic section or specialty food section.

Fruit like bananas and apples. Dried fruit and nuts is good. Easy on the nuts. A serving size is 23 almonds.

Plastic fruit cups that don't need refrigeration until you open it. Just bring a spoon.

Peanut butter is good but can be messy. Some places you can buy special throw away squeeze packages. Or just put it in a sandwich bag and use a plastic spoon.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i used to bring:

cheese, crackers, fruit, beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, tuna, veggies and dip or pb, 100 calorie packs, applesauce, soup, yogurt, almonds...

and copious amounts of coffee.
  • Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    salad wraps
    salads (I love bean salad! just 4 been mix and onions)
    smoothies (you can find thermos that keep things cold 12 hours so make in the morning and take with you)
    You can find lunch boxes that keep things hot all day so you make at night microwave before you leave and eat at lunch and it is still hot. I make stir fry veg and rice or noodles for my partner. You could just do left overs too.

snacks

oatmeal slices
    breakfast bars (home made dead easy)
    savoury muffins
    fruit (banana is great to prevent cramping)

You could always go for protein bars ect if you are doing weights

I am TERRIBLE at baking so I can make the above so can you! Also freeze them once made, so you have time to debate over eating it while it thaws.

What are oatmeal slices? And how do you make your breakfast bars?
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Grapes and Baby carrots are easy
    A banana
    Fiber one makes a few 90 calorie snack bars
    String cheese
    Yogurt cup

Mmmm... I might have to go shopping again because these sound yummy, and I'm already sick of sandwiches!
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like the wrap idea... maybe one with hummus, plenty of veggies, some beans soaked in balsamic vinegar and onions, and sprouts. So filling and tasty! Look for whole grain and low fat wraps or pita bread.

Definitely small fruits like berries, carrots, celery with a dab of peanut butter.

Or my fav, make some lentil soup filled w/ veggies and freeze in little single portion sized containers.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like to bring different kinds of salads to work! just need a plastic bowl & a little Tupperware thing for the separate dressing. If you're sick of lettuce you can cook up some whole wheat paste & make a great pasta salad with yummy veg & even chicken or tuna or something. You can make a greek pasta salad with all the vegetables of a normal greek salad just toss in the bit of pasta & a lil feta & it's tasty & cold :)

I love the simple taste of just olive oil & vinegar ( +salt +pepper) on my salad, I think it goes great with almost everything especially the tuna :)
    I hope this idea provides you at least one tasty lunch :)
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I make myself a big chopped salad (no lettuce to go soggy) with cucumber, mangetout, spring onion etc (crunchy with flavour) and take a tin of tuna that I can add to the salad at lunch.
    Depending what size meal I want, I add chickpeas, rice/quinoa, flax seeds, feta cheese....
    Extra flavour comes from pepper, chillis, lemon juice or something similar.

It takes preparation, but not much, and is healthy and filling.
    You could substitute most of the ingredients for different things but you get the idea.