Backpack Advice

Options
I went to REI yesterday (fabulous experience!) and bought a new backpack for an upcoming multi-week walking trip on the Camino de Santiago.

They suggested one with a frame, because it would ventilate my back, and because I have scoliosis.

Did a 6+ mile walk this morning to make sure I liked it, and to start practicing. My back was drenched. It was 38 degrees when I left, so was much cooler than I anticipate my trip to be.

Any low-weight tips on how to alleviate or minimize the the sweat? I’m trying to keep the whole thing under ten pounds, since it will go everywhere I go on this trip.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    There are some brands of packs that have kind of an air-pocket mesh thing to try to keep your back cool...my husband had one and it didn't make much of a difference. But, yeah, it's really just a part of backpacking to have a sweaty back. Just wear quick-drying shirts.

As far as keeping the weight down....really, under 10 pounds? By that, I'm assuming that the trip is hut-to-hut or logde-to-lodge? Because if you are carrying a tent and sleeping bag, there's no way. On my trips, I was carrying up to 4 pounds of water alone.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Don't think that you need a full pack for just 10#.

A full pack w/a frame weighs at least 3-4 lbs alone. A larger daypack w/a hydro sleeve would probably come at 2-3.

Most of the better ones come w/ventilated backs but it still pays to wear layers, as previously suggested. I find a base layer of a lycra type material best.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Which one did you pick? I used a Trail 40 this last time (under 3 lbs, front loading). I highly recommend it.
    I wore a wicking tee and I didn't notice any excessive sweating.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sweat is a thing with backpacking. Ditto on wicking shirts - make sure it's not cotton if there is any chance the weather will get cool throughout the day since wet cotton will stay very cold.

Not the best thing to do, but when I'm backpacking and get particularly sweaty I'll sometimes loosen my shoulder straps so my bag is resting more on my hips and leaves a bugger space between bag and back. I'll only do that for a few minutes at a time to get some breeze since it's not the best way to carry a pack.

That said, I can't imagine doing the Camino de Santiago with only a 10lb load. I would think you would need more gear than that. Unless you are doing an organized tour where a porter takes your heavy gear between stops?
  • Viking_Dad
    Options
    10# is doable. Camino gear is typically one change of clothes, rain gear, a few toiletries and, maybe, a light sleeping bag or blanket. Hikers travel from hostel to hostel.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I tried several packs and chose the Gregory “Jade”. It has the mesh bridge that’s supposed to help with circulation but I really liked it because it sits low on my hips. I’m used to walking a couple of miles a day with a yoga mat slung over my shoulder that hangs low like that, so that’s my comfort zone.

I packed everything I wanted yesterday except a water bottle and it came in at 14.1 pounds. But that included four changes of clothes and a pair of jammies, which I know is overkill on the Camino.

Now I’ll go from “everything I want” to “need” and whittle down. It’s a learning experience.

No plans to use a porter between albergues, hence trying to keep it light as possible.

This is a trial run. My husband isn’t interested in long walking tours. I am, but I’m not getting any younger, so if I want to do some of the ones I’ve dreamed about, I’ll be doing them on my own.

One thing I’m packing that’s a little wierd is my “RatPad” aka yoga knee pad. It’s small and oval and about an inch thick and weighs very little. It will be perfect to sit on or use as a little bit of pillow cushion. The cat chewed it up, so if it’s not worth the weight, no guilt ditching it.

I bought a lightweight silk sheet with built in pillowcase and the REI guy suggested using my feather jacket in its stuff sack as a pillow. Can I just say..... brilliant idea!!!!!!
  • Viking_Dad
    Options
    I spent 3 months backpacking round europe, I wasn't even carrying it very far, but I very quickly ditched a lot of stuff!

And, you can get anything you need while there (Decathlon is CHEAP!)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    There are some brands of packs that have kind of an air-pocket mesh thing to try to keep your back cool...my husband had one and it didn't make much of a difference. But, yeah, it's really just a part of backpacking to have a sweaty back. Just wear quick-drying shirts.

As far as keeping the weight down....really, under 10 pounds? By that, I'm assuming that the trip is hut-to-hut or logde-to-lodge? Because if you are carrying a tent and sleeping bag, there's no way. On my trips, I was carrying up to 4 pounds of water alone.

Probably isn't relevant to this type of walking, but when hiking/backpacking people talk about how much weight they're carrying, they don't count the water. I mean I think most people do, but for the ultralight crowd, your base weight is the pack itself plus everything but food and water. The reason this came to mind is because that crowd uses 10 pounds as the cutoff to be in the club. Typically they use a tarp instead of a tent and suffer bugs, and a sleeping bag or quilt that isn't rated for as cold as they expect to be in, so they sleep in their jacket and hat etc. Even leave the stove and fuel behind, rehydrate their food by soaking it for an hour and eating it cold. Cut your sleeping pad around the knees, and put your legs on or in your pack to make up for it.

So 10 pounds is doable if you count funny and make a ton of sacrifices to comfort. For normal people, you're right it's not doable. Unless you sleep in hostels like the OP is planning.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I went to REI yesterday (fabulous experience!) and bought a new backpack for an upcoming multi-week walking trip on the Camino de Santiago.

REI will give you your money back - all of it no restocking fee etc - for up to a year for any reason. You can return the pack because you don't like the color. Don't do that, but, take it on several hikes with the gear you plan to use, and make sure everything is right. Comfort, the way things fit, that you like how the pockets are laid out, how it affects your balance, etc.

Maybe try one with the suspended back thing and a good wicking shirt. Here's a good example, the backpack itself doesn't sit against your body, the frame holds it away from you and a sheet of mesh is what's in contact with your back. If you wear that over a jacket it won't do anything for you but in hot weather a light shirt that breathes well might work. I don't have one in this style so I can't say if it works, but it looks like it should.

Osprey-Renn-50-Pack-for-Women-trampoline-style-back-panel.jpg

Osprey makes great packs. Every one I've ever used has been extremely comfortable, also high quality and well designed.
  • mworeilly
    mworeilly Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I’ve been trying some of those ultralight tips from a Facebook group I was in and managed to get down to 16-18 lbs including food and water, but that’s summer hiking when I bring less gear and sleep in a hammock. My trips are not that frequent these days so I’ve started wearing an old camelback pack with 10lbs on the stair machine to be ready for spring. I have no additional solutions for sweaty back. Except I sometimes add ice to the bladder bag in my pack, which is helpful for all of 90 minutes tops.

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Probably isn't relevant to this type of walking, but when hiking/backpacking people talk about how much weight they're carrying, they don't count the water. I mean I think most people do, but for the ultralight crowd, your base weight is the pack itself plus everything but food and water. The reason this came to mind is because that crowd uses 10 pounds as the cutoff to be in the club. Typically they use a tarp instead of a tent and suffer bugs, and a sleeping bag or quilt that isn't rated for as cold as they expect to be in, so they sleep in their jacket and hat etc. Even leave the stove and fuel behind, rehydrate their food by soaking it for an hour and eating it cold. Cut your sleeping pad around the knees, and put your legs on or in your pack to make up for it.

So 10 pounds is doable if you count funny and make a ton of sacrifices to comfort. For normal people, you're right it's not doable. Unless you sleep in hostels like the OP is planning.

Ha, oh, man, I don't think I'd suffer that much to be a part of the club. I don't go for luxury, but I also don't want bugs crawling on me while I sleep. :p

It's kind of silly in my mind to not count the food and water...you're carrying the weight whether you're counting it or not. It's like when people don't bother logging fruit and vegetables in their diary...your body is counting the calories even if you're not.