Which strength plan?

Roz2889
Roz2889 Posts: 71 Member
edited January 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Apologies if this has been discussed before...

I'm a women looking for an introduction to strenght training program, what is the difference between NROL and NROLFW? Seems to me like the original one would do the job but why is there a separate program for women?

Thanks!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    edited January 2020
    Roz2889 wrote: »

I'm a women looking for an introduction to strenght training program, what is the difference between NROL and NROLFW? Seems to me like the original one would do the job but why is there a separate program for women?

Thanks!

There's a great thread here about strength training programs, including some discussions of pros and cons:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If that discussion doesn't answer your questions, it would be a really good place to ask.

Best wishes! :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Pay for a personal trainer, if you can swing it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Roz2889 wrote: »

Thanks!

NROL is just fine...NROLFW goes into more detail in the read in alleviating concerns that a lot of women have in regards to weight training. It's the read more than anything that is geared towards explaining to women why they should lift and why they shouldn't be afraid to lift. My wife started with that and she liked it for that educational aspect more than anything else.

I personally like New Rules of Lifting Supercharged because it gives you a template of movement types rather than this or that specific lift and then shows you the lifts that fit those movement types...I tend to get a little bored, so I like doing a variety of different lifts that fit a specific movement type. It's also not just one program...It has bootcamp, hypertrophy, strength programs. It also outlines beginner type of lifts as well as more intermediate and advanced lifts to suit a specific movement.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2020
    If you are new to lifting anything will do the job. Most will be overkill for a few months but no harm.

Pick a program for the equipment you have available and enjoy.

I would second getting a trainer if you have the money, though I wouldn't waste my money on one from a commercial gym.

Also programs fthat are based on gender are not a must by any means.

Research is pretty clearbl when the parameters of training is equated, females respond just as robustly as their male counterparts to the protocols of resistance training.

We see very simular increases to strength and hypertrophy relative to the sensitivity of response they have as individuals.
  • Roz2889
    Roz2889 Posts: 71 Member
    Thanks everyone for your help :)