Am I doing too much?

Options
I have some trouble understanding how much time I should be spending in the gym. I am trying to follow a push/pull/legs plan, but I always add more exercises to my workouts. I end up spending approximately 2 hours or more in the gym. I have watched some insane 1 year transformation videos on YouTube and I am curious to know why my body did not grow as much as the people in those videos eventhough I spend a lot of time in the gym performing quality exercises with hopefully good form, and I consume sufficient calories. How many exercises per muscle grouo should I keep it to?

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    Coz each individual are different.. their eating habit are different.. you don't know what other "supplements" they are taking. What program they do etc.

Can't really compare to others.. doing so will just aggravate ya. Be patient and you'll get there.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    First don't compare your progress to others especially YouTube, many of them are either deceiving or photoshopped.

Second, more is not always better. A proper well structured progressive program that has you in the gym 3x per week can beat out a bad program that had you in the gym 6x per week.

What do you mean by grow? Were you trying to gain weight? What are your goals?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You’ll have to elaborate on “quality exercises” and “sufficient calories”...
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    First don't compare your progress to others especially YouTube, many of them are either deceiving or photoshopped.

Not to mention, possibly chemically enhanced.
  • thescouselander77
    thescouselander77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Almost certainly yes. If you can manage 2 hours in the gym then you're not working hard enough IMO. When it comes to excercises focus on quality rather quantity and don't forget to get enough rest.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    No expert, but two hours sounds like a lot. You have that time to devote to the gym? I have to agree with the others, don't compare yourself to what you've seen on Youtube. You don't know their stories.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    It’s not so much about time spent. We can’t say whether what you are doing is appropriate until you give more info:
    Goals
    Training history
    Detail about what you are doing in the gym.
    Yr progress over the last few months.
    Once we have they info we met be able to advise.

One thing I can say is ignore those transformations. They are rarely honest and often people rebound really badly afterwards. That’s the bit they don’t post about.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My workouts are about 2 hours. I typically rest a couple of minutes between sets for compounds and 6 of the 8 lifts I do are compounds. 3-4 sets per and a few minutes between exercises. Most splits including PHUL or PHAT can easily take 1.5 - 2 hours.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It’s not so much about time spent. We can’t say whether what you are doing is appropriate until you give more info:
    Goals
    Training history
    Detail about what you are doing in the gym.
    Yr progress over the last few months.
    Once we have they info we met be able to advise.

One thing I can say is ignore those transformations. They are rarely honest and often people rebound really badly afterwards. That’s the bit they don’t post about.

This.

Within your response to your training history...
    I would also like to know specifically how long you ran both the original and modified versions of the template. The reason(s) why and how you modified it as well.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I do 4 exercises per major bodypart and 2 exercises per minor bodyparts on a 5-day split.

What type of exercises are you doing? 90-120 minutes in the gym is regular for me and I've also had a few people on this forum help me to reduce volume with my routine. Here's my updated routine:

Day 1
    Back
    Clean and Press - 5 x 2
    Barbell Row - 5 x 5
    Pull-Ups - 10 x 3
    Seated Row - 4 x 10
    Lat-Pulldown - 4 x 10
    Barbell Shrugs - 4 x 10
    Biceps
    Chins - 10 x 3
    Barbell Curl - 5 x 5

Day 2