Measuring portion: weight vs volume

Options
Hello, I have begun eating oatmeal for breakfast more regularly recently and I need some advice with measuring the portion. According to the nutrition label, the serving size of 150 calories is 1/2 cup or 40g (dry). However, using my food scale, weighing 1/2 cup comes out to be WAY more than 40g. Close to 60g, in fact. I've used different measuring cups, and I know my scale is accurate and calibrated. What is the reason for this vast difference, and which measurement should I rely on, the 1/2 cup measurement or 40g (which comes out to be less than a 1/3 of a cup)? Thanks for and help you can give me!

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Always weigh when possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcB7GbLmIM
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you can weigh it, you should weigh it. Cups/eyeballs are estimates. Grams/oz are not.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Always weigh pasta and grains dry.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    European baking recipes always specify the flour by weight. Consider that!

However, once you've weighed your oatmeal a few times, you get a sense for what the portion looks like in the cup and you can just measure accordingly.

I add nuts, which are very high in calories, and are thus worth measuring accurately. For a long time I weighed them, but finally I can just reach into the bag and grab something that is very close to an oz. Every so often, I check myself.

In general, you learn to estimate portions through weighing and can eventually eyeball things well enough. It's a good life skill.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I just weigh everything, even liquids.