Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

noom vs. mfp

when i downloaded noom it said i should eat 742 cal/day for my activity level ((moderate)) and mfp said 1200 so i decided to meet in the middle and set my goal at 1000. it's day 4 and i've found that it's been really easy to stay at that daily goal and so far i've lost 3 lb but is it a good idea to just settle in the middle. my weekly weight loss goal is 2lb/week so how has anyone who has been using mfp for a while been doing? has anyone tried noom and had any success? i just thought 742 a day was a little low.

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    742, seriously?? A little low, really??????????
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Ive never tried Noom, but just wanted to say that I think you made a good choice!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    I just put my info into noom and it gave me 1480 calories a day for sedentary with a 0.5 lb lose a week. Are you sure you entered your information correctly? I'm 5'2" 147lbs.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Look here, the same calculator I have used for a long time and get pretty close
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/caloriecalculator.htm
  • candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    I use noom to measure my walks with gps but not with food when I tried it it didn't have much food info I love mfp for food and just plug my noom walks into mfp
  • ok, not a LITTLE low.. i wanted to say that it would pretty much make me anorexic but i wanted to be politically correct. i know that's an insane number which is why i looked for a second opinion.. glad i found mfp
  • I just put my info into noom and it gave me 1480 calories a day for sedentary with a 0.5 lb lose a week. Are you sure you entered your information correctly? I'm 5'2" 147lbs.

yes i just double checked. i'm 5'5'' and 140 and i set it at lose 2 lb/week and exercise 3 times a week and it said 740 is my daily caloric goal. i swear i did it right! maybe it's just because my weight loss per week is high or something.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Sounds like Noom doesn't have a sanity control on it like MFP does. It just took 1000 off your daily burn and put you way too low.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I agree, it has just taken 1000 cals a day off your maintenance calories.
    That's a really scary program - I wonder how many people are eating way too low.
    I'd suggest that at your current weight you set yourself up to lose 1/2 pound a week, that would be much healthier!
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    If you've only got 10lbs to lose then you shouldn't really be aiming for a 2lb a week loss. That's probably why it's set so low.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    i crap 742 calories :D

seriously tho. that is just a little on the extreme.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    For as little as you have to lose, you should set it to tops, 1lb/wk.
  • Thanks everyone! I know my rate is really high but its only because i need to drop 10 for a couple weddings at the end of the month but i dont want to do any extreme diet. Once the festivities are over i I'm going to reset for .5 or 1lb/ week. Thanks for the help!