exercises to tighten/flatten stomach after c-section

Options
I've heard the horror stories of women having a saggy lower stomach after a c-section (or hysterectomy), even after they dropped the weight. I know with all my stretch marks I'll never be able to wear anything showing off my stomach when I lose all the weight, but I'm concerned my stomach will never look right.

Are there any exercises to help tighten this area in particular, or any success stories from losing the weight after the surgery and not looking disfigured?

Replies

• KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am curious to see the responses. I had two c-sections, an abdominal hysterectomy and an incarcerated bowel in an incisional hernia - all in the same incision spot. I guess it was kind of like a zipper for the surgeries!
  • mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    3 c-sections here (4 children). One word: planks.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections. I've been doing a lot of walking, but working the abs will help with the flab. My biggest problem is motivating myself to do the specific exercises.
  • mariettakdavis
    mariettakdavis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Site specific exercises are a myth. You can't lose weight in specific places unfortunately. If there is flab, there is fat :( I had a C section also and when I lost all my weight a few years ago, I still had the flab in the belly despite doing over 200 crunches daily. I read something once specifically about fat and flab from a health and exercise guru who simply said exercising everything and losing the fat was the only way. He even said things like tummy tucks are unnecessary. Our skin is super elastic and if you get rid of the excess fat you wont have the flab either. Just passing along the info I read. On another note, I know it CAN be done (getting rid of the flab) because I was friends with a woman older than I am who had 2 C sections and had rock hard abs. Her before pictures looked exactly like my belly so I KNOW it can be done if we work hard enough for it :)
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    I'm also thinking that part of it might be genetics. I never had a flat stomach...so I can't imagine having one now. I can lose the fat...but some skin just might be there. Still working on losing the last bit of fat...then we will see. I did hear that it takes a while (a year?) to lose the skin.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Even when I was skinny, I still had a pooch on my lower belly. I'm built so that I begin to flare out at the stomach... bigger hips and thighs, so I assumed the lower stomach chubbiness was part of my genetics. Hoping with eating right and exercise that I can have a more proportionate frame.
  • tq1977
    tq1977 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have recently had a c-section, and have lost all my pre pregnancy weight with the exception of about 6 pounds. After speaking to my personal trainer (who has had two sections prior and built like a tank) the excess flab is nothing more that fat that CAN be shed. She is a prime example. As long as there isn't excess weight to begin with then I feel there should be no problem. I gained 30 pounds during pregnancy and after delivering a 9lb 6 oz little boy, I am 6 pounds away from my prepregnancy frame. Since I'm only 2 weeks post op I can tell that I will need a lot of firming up. According to my trainer strength training and cardio are both essential in this process. Sorry for blabbing but I'm trying to get everything out before my 2 week old needs to nurse again. Good luck to all of you!
  • dani_zoey
    dani_zoey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises did you do to help with the flab? Like crunches, jogging, ? You can private message me if you would like.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I(male)had a bit more evasive surgery than a C section in the same area. I squatted and deadlifted for the most part and things are more than decent afterwards. Ab wheel is what I have my female lifters do with/without a C section. V holds is reasonable amoung other variations.

Eating in caloric deficit will be key in addition to adequate resistance training if your body fat percentage is above normal range.