Come to Jesus meeting

with myself. I know why I'm not losing weight. Even though I do an hour of Pilates every day and get in at least 8000 steps walking my dog I'm still not losing any weight and I know perfectly well why: I'm not tracking my food/calorie intake consistently or realistically. I'm not doing it every day, I'm not measuring , but merely guessing, and I'm kidding myself. Losing weight is 20% exercise and 80% CICO. I'm back on track today- could really use a "wooo-hooo!"

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    You got this!! WHOOO HOO!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Well, you know the secret! Now just to put it into practice. WOO HOO!
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    You got this!! WHOOO HOO!

Thank you!! I'm so appreciative of MFP friends. I feel like when I need motivation from my "real" friends, the ones who are already thin or in shape don't really understand my struggle, and the ones who do understand it don't want to focus on it because they know they need to get in shape and don't want to deal. So...this is where I need to be.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I get it. I went round and round with this too. For months. Each time, I would tell myself that I needed to start logging, start weighing myself so I'd see the trend, and generally give myself the kick in the rear that I needed. I'm a classic case of "but I can out run my fork!" Nope. Nobody can. Not even me.

Good news is that once you get over yourself and do what you know how to do, you're back on track. You can do this. START LOGGING. Now. Do it. Get back on track.

There. Your proverbial kick in the rear (from a stranger on the Internet, no less!). Good luck. You can do this :wink:
  • Someonerandom1
    Someonerandom1 Posts: 13 Member
    I’m in that same place right now! I lost almost 25lbs last year and still have another 10ish to go. I haven’t lost anything in months because I’ve gotten lazy on my food tracking. I know what the reason is. Now I just need to do it! We’ve got this!!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Way to go!
  • lauragreenbaum
    Measuring my wine is a MUST! Yikes
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I’m in the same place—almost. Just a few days behind you. But I’m getting to the same conclusion. Wooo-hoooo!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    with myself. I know why I'm not losing weight. Even though I do an hour of Pilates every day and get in at least 8000 steps walking my dog I'm still not losing any weight and I know perfectly well why: I'm not tracking my food/calorie intake consistently or realistically. I'm not doing it every day, I'm not measuring , but merely guessing, and I'm kidding myself. Losing weight is 20% exercise and 80% CICO. I'm back on track today- could really use a "wooo-hooo!"

Just a quick comment ...

The CO part of CICO is exercise ... or just existing ... but it's all about burning calories. You've got to burn more than you eat ...

CI < CO.
  • hoppgeorge
    hoppgeorge Posts: 368 Member
    Couldn’t have said it better myself! Stay disciplined!!
  • lauragreenbaum
    Machka9 wrote: »

Just a quick comment ...

The CO part of CICO is exercise ... or just existing ... but it's all about burning calories. You've got to burn more than you eat ...

CI < CO.

Yes, I should have said 20% exercise and 80% food intake.
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    You got this! Buy a food scale! Track your food!

Also I just figured out a secret to measuring dressing, or other things you would add directly to food to be cooked: Tare the scale with the whole container on it, and then weigh it again once you've removed the quantity you're going to use. I can't believe I'd never done this before. I share this secret with you (I'm sure everyone else knew it lol) because I never used to be able to accurately measure dressings, mayo, etc. until I realized I could subtract it from the container. Just make sure your scale can hold up to the weight.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    I had my own come to Jesus moment last night after I ate a big bowl of ice cream. I've been working out regularly since November but have gained five pounds. So annoying. But I know it's because I delude myself into thinking that because I'm working out, I can eat more. Nope. Today I'm officially back on track with tracking my food intake. As many wise mfp members have previously told me, abs are made in the kitchen.
  • lauragreenbaum
    He1loKitty wrote: »
    I had my own come to Jesus moment last night after I ate a big bowl of ice cream. I've been working out regularly since November but have gained five pounds. So annoying. But I know it's because I delude myself into thinking that because I'm working out, I can eat more. Nope. Today I'm officially back on track with tracking my food intake. As many wise mfp members have previously told me, abs are made in the kitchen.

I read an article (can't remember where) that this is a common reason some people who work out actually gain weight- they overestimate the number of calories they are burning. Personally, I don't back out exercise calories; I just figure they are icing on the cake so to speak.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    He1loKitty wrote: »

I read an article (can't remember where) that this is a common reason some people who work out actually gain weight- they overestimate the number of calories they are burning. Personally, I don't back out exercise calories; I just figure they are icing on the cake so to speak.

However, MFP is setup for you to eat your exercise calories back, or else you risk having too large of a deficit. A lot of people eat about half to 3/4ths back since MFP does sometimes over estimates burn.

Too large of a deficit usually results in a binge situation.
  • polvo71
    polvo71 Posts: 42 Member
    Totally! Way to go!!! I had the same meeting but mine was Friday Saturday and Sunday are still apart of the week and I have to track. This has taken me years to admit to myself. All my hard work and weight loss was constantly being trashed by not tracking on the weekend.
  • lauragreenbaum
    polvo71 wrote: »
    Totally! Way to go!!! I had the same meeting but mine was Friday Saturday and Sunday are still apart of the week and I have to track. This has taken me years to admit to myself. All my hard work and weight loss was constantly being trashed by not tracking on the weekend.

I have the same issue, but only on certain weekends like this one. For my work, we go on 8-10 retreats over weekends each year and they are all sponsored- meaning the food and beverages are all provided and are all high end and extravagant because the hotels are wanting to impress us (I'm in the meetings business). So it's not only difficult to say no to these delights, but difficult to track. UGH.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Tracking on here made me realize that calories sort of sneak around. I don't eat more when I exercise. I want to lose weight so I need deficits. I've learned more about foods with tracking and can even begin wondering about a few things that maybe I can't eat if I want to feel better (no salads out). Good effort on the tracking!