For those of you confused about exercise cals.

Options
Today, I went and filled my tank in the car to 3/4 of the way full. Then I went to mall, went grocery shopping, ran some errands, visited my mother, went to go visit a friend, went to the bank, payed some bills, picked up the kids from school, then came home. My car is down to 1/8 of a tank. Do I refill my tank at least to halfway full, or do I just let it run out of gas?

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Just fill it with water. That should help.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sugar to make it go fast.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    HALF FILL IT!
    am i right tell me im right ;)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Love it! Good analogy.
  • kardeamad
    Options
    Today, I went and filled my tank in the car to 3/4 of the way full. Then I went to mall, went grocery shopping, ran some errands, visited my mother, went to go visit a friend, went to the bank, payed some bills, picked up the kids from school, then came home. My car is down to 1/8 of a tank. Do I refill my tank at least to halfway full, or do I just let it run out of gas?

What a fab way of explaining it to people like me who really couldn't get their head around it.

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    As long as it's half full and not half empty
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options

What a fab way of explaining it to people like me who really couldn't get their head around it.

Awh thank you :) so glad I could help! And Emma, sure, if you wanna do half full, that's fine too! But you can't just leave your car at nearly empty forever, can you? lol
  • allison_joan
    Options

It's not that people can't wrap their heads around it but for me at least, I'm not going to force myself to eat more if I'm just not hungry.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I don't refill the tank when the reserve tank that I lug around still has 50 gallons of fuel left in it.
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    But cars are not people.

People burn calories by sitting on the sofa, cars do not burn calories sitting in the gargage.

So if you burned 400 calories in an hour at the gym bear in mind that:
    a) MFP sometimes overestimates AND
    b) you'd have burnt 100 by sitting on the sofa

So actually an extra 200 calories might be enough....

People have clever things called appetite which helps to regulate how much we should eat. Cars do not.

Overweight people have fat stores of energy that they can access, cars do not.

FWIW I never ate all my exercise calories when I was losing weight, I wasn't hungry enough to eat them all.
    Now I'm at target I generally eat them all, as I need them (ie I am hungry for them).
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Awh thank you :) so glad I could help! And Emma, sure, if you wanna do half full, that's fine too! But you can't just leave your car at nearly empty forever, can you? lol

Sure you can! It's just not going to get you where you need to go if you do!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Is your body the same as a mechanical object?

If this tired old analogy was any good, then when the car ran out of gas it would start converting its upholstery and dashboard into fuel.

I'm all for feeding my body correctly pre and post workout, but I know it's not a robot, and can be unpredictable.
  • kardeamad
    Options

It's not that people can't wrap their heads around it but for me at least, I'm not going to force myself to eat more if I'm just not hungry.

I have come to the conclusion after reading many, many threads, topics, and research articles that it is not about eating more food, it is about eating the right food.

I simply don't know what the right food is for me to get off the very low calorie eating.

I have a thread posted, I am hoping for more help in that direction :smile:
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Get a scooter - you'd; still have plenty of gas. :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't refill the tank when the reserve tank that I lug around still has 50 gallons of fuel left in it.

THIS!!
  • prettyash76
    Options
    bump
  • WendyHJ
    Options
    Interesting comments! Thanks for making me think about it. I do eat my calories back. For now my body is still adjusting to a lot fewer calories than before. And for sure a lot less sugar.
  • WendyHJ
    Options
    Interesting comments! Thanks for making me think about it. I do eat my calories back. For now my body is still adjusting to a lot fewer calories than before. And for sure a lot less sugar.