Indian Meal

Options
I am going out with some friends for dinner to an Indian restaurant and was wondering if you had any ideas which would be the healthiest / lowest calorie meal out?

Thanks All.

Replies

• zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    ive found that indian food isnt really that bad. most of the sauce are yoghurt or tomato base.

its the rice that can get you.

search for "curry leaf" in the database. there are heaps of indian meals listed.
  • kardeamad
    Options
    Dry curried/spiced food - chicken tikka, tandoori prawns, vegetable bhuna etc
    Plain rice or a biryani
    Poppadoms with the cucumber or tomato pickle
  • nickising
    nickising Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    same here im going out tonight for a meal and dont want to spoil my week
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I usually have tandoori chicken and bombay potatoes with maybe a spoonful of plain rice and half of my hubby's naan! Or a biryani. Steer clear of creamy curries like korma.
  • M155AUS
    M155AUS Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, hopefully I can go out without spoiling my good work this week now!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Try different things and enjoy it.

The yogurt- based sauces tend to be high in fat, the tomato or other veg based ones less so. Most Indian _restaurant_ food is very high sodium.

If you really want to keep it down, anything with "tandoori" in the name is usually drier and air grilled rather than fried, but not always - some things are marinated in fatty loveliness for days first.

Anything very spicy/hot will get your metabolism going faster and HR up!

Mostly, enjoy, don't eat too much (my problem!) and if in doubt, ask the waiter.

For specifics? high calorie/high fat dishes will include bhuna, pasanda, korma - these are usually very mild too.