Equipment for home workout

I'm looking for something to use at home for cardio. Preferably an elliptical or exercise bike because a treadmill is too rough on my knees. I was hoping for suggestions for something relatively inexpensive but still a good piece of equipment. I've tried to look online but there's so many options I don't know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    It depends on what you like and what you want to accomplish.

Walking is virtually free and is a great place to start if you live in a place where you can walk. Many people find that walking (or running) outdoors is more comfortable than a treadmill.

I would strongly recommend not buying equipment unless you're certain you'll love it and it'll do what you want. Otherwise, you're likely going to spend a lot of money on a large, heavy thing that you'll use for a few months. If you can, go to a gym for at least a few months so you can use that equipment consistently before you commit to buying it.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I second walking. Or search youtube for workouts you can do just leaping around your living room. There are all kinds of great, non-monotonous workouts there that are free for the taking. Cardio machines are so dull, I can't stand them, personally.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I know everybody loves to hate Plate Fitness but is there one close to your home or work? For $10 a month you have access to gym quality equipment (any equipment worth buying will be relatively expensive) and if you find you don't like a particular piece of equipment you don't end up with an expensive towel rack.

Personally if I was going to buy just one piece of cardio equipment for home it would be (I own one..) a Concept2 rower but I'd strongly advise you to try one before buying because they too are not inexpensive.

Other than that I'd also suggest walking...all you need is a comfortable pair of shoes.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I have found it pretty easy to get free or super cheap equipment from people who don't use it anymore. My current elliptical cost me about $8 for a new cord because they had lost that piece and didn't want the equipment anymore anyway.

Keep an eye out on Craigslist or local newspaper ads...even if people have it listed for a price, if it doesn't sell, lots of times they will give it away to anyone who can come pick it up.