Chicken

Options
angf0679
angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
I eat a lot of skinless boneless chicken breasts. They are inexpensiveness to buy compared to other meats.

I'm looking for ideas of different ways to cook one up. I either just cook it plain in the oven with a little olive oil and a few spices, breaded Parmesan chicken or in a type of sauce with peas and carrots.

Got any good recipes to share?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I like to make pulled BBQ shredded chicken in my Ninja Foodi/Instapot.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    We do chicken stir fry all the time - with all kinds of veggies. You don't need a wok but a nonstick skillet helps to avoid lots of oil being needed. We also grill chicken breast and put it with a side of steamed veggies, grilled veggies, or foil packet veggies. Another good one is lemon chicken - where you put lemon, black pepper, and a little salt with the chicken, can bake it or stir fry it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's not really a recipe, but poached chicken is nice too, and low calorie.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Chicken tacos - shredded with seasoning

Coat with Shake and Bake and... bake

Saute and added to chicken fried rice, or any other rice. I often use the Uncle Ben's packets, Long grain and Wild.. then just add some chicken or pork and mixed veg.

You can always change up the seasonings you use while baking - Lemon pepper, Cajun spicy, mesquite, add a rub (there are a lot of rub packets in the seasoning aisle to try)

Then there's always this option: Allrecipes search

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Our favorite is buffalo chicken breasts. Just some Frank’s and chicken breasts in the crockpot. Shred when cooked. Good for sandwiches, in salads or with a side of your favorite vegetables.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i made crockpot BBQ chicken last night - 5lbs chicken and a bottle of BBQ sauce (this week is was Guy fieri's Kansas city BBQ) - dump it together and then cook on low overnight.

another option is to slather a bit of hummus on top and then oven roast it
  • amandab166
    amandab166 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    fajita chicken (with peppers and onion-i bake mine on a baking sheet with fajita seasoning), salsa chicken- 2lbs of boneless chicken and 1 jar of favorite salsa- cook on low for 4-6 hours in crockpot and shred; use for burrito bowls, salads, etc.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    amandab166 wrote: »
    fajita chicken (with peppers and onion-i bake mine on a baking sheet with fajita seasoning), salsa chicken- 2lbs of boneless chicken and 1 jar of favorite salsa- cook on low for 4-6 hours in crockpot and shred; use for burrito bowls, salads, etc.

These sound delicious.. I'm going to have to try them!
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Chicken Cacciatore is one of my favorite chicken dishes. Not only is the chicken low cal and carb, the other ingredients can be as healthy as you want. Diced tomatoes is a primary ingredient but bell peppers and other veggies can be added to a basic recipe.

YUM!🤤

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Souvlaki! ...I usually half the recipe & use 3 garlic cloves or less

10 garlic cloves, peeled
    2 tbsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    1 tsp sweet paprika
    1 tsp each Kosher salt and black pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2 bay leaves
    For Chicken
    2 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, fat removed, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces

Prepare the marinade: In the bowl of a small food processor, add garlic, oregano, rosemary, paprika, salt, pepper, olive oil, white wine, and lemon juice (do NOT add the dried bay leaves yet). Pulse until well combined.
    Place chicken in a large ziplock bag and add bay leaves. Top with marinade. Toss to combine, making sure chicken is well-coated with marinade. Seal tightly and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight (I prefer overnight).

...at this point I skewer them & cook quickly over a charcoal grill, but you can easily put under a broiler or even saute in a skillet. I eat w/ tzatziki sauce (on pita w/ fresh tomato & sliced onion or not, like a gyro) & a quick Greek salad.
    uos98aa9hybc.jpg
    xvtv837h33mh.jpg
    tx62br5ummqv.jpg (low carb wraps shown because sometimes we like to punish ourselves)

• aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I season mine up and do them in the air fryer.
  • angf0679
    Options
    Some yummy sounding ideas! Thanks!
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Butterfly the chicken and put half a jalepeno stuffed with creamcheese in it. season both side with a grilling rub and roll the chicken back up. Tie it together or use toothpicks. Grill the stuffed chicken breast. I like to wrap with bacon first.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I prefer the flavor of chicken thighs and think they are more versatile, as they do not dry out as quickly. (Plus they are cheaper.)

Chicken thighs are great in the crock pot, ex: chicken cacciatore.

But for either cut, if you need inspiration, try recipes from an ethnicity other than your own. Tons of recipes on allrecipes.com, plus you can subscribe to their emails and get inspiration into your inbox a few times per week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't really do chicken breast, mostly boneless skinless chicken thighs...I usually grill and have different marinades and seasonings. I also make chicken lasagna, chicken tacos, chicken Marsala, and a few other recipe kind of things...but mostly I just throw it on the grill with whatever marinade or seasoning I'm in the mood for.
  • angf0679
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I prefer the flavor of chicken thighs and think they are more versatile, as they do not dry out as quickly. (Plus they are cheaper.)

I individually wrap and freeze them. I've never had issues with them drying out.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Not sure if they have them where you are but I really like the Maggi Cooking Papers, Basically wrap the chicken in the paper put in a pan without oil for 10 mins, then turn it over and cook it for another 10 mins. Very flavourful (and lazy cooking).

I also make a lot of curries and casseroles with chicken - Thai Green Curry; Chicken & Mushroom Casserole; Chicken, Chorizo & Chickpea Stew; Chicken Massaman Curry and Chicken Strogonoff amongst some of my favourites.

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I make chicken piccata all the time; it's so easy and a family favorite. Basically S&P the cutlets, dredge in flour and pan sear in butter and olive oil 3 minutes on each side. Remove and add chicken broth, lemon juice and capers and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer for like 5-10 minutes.

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    On the rare occasions I have chicken breasts, I blacken 'em.

Hammer 'em slightly thinner, put a little bit of butter or low-fat spread on each side, and then cover them in a mix of thyme, salt, garlic powder, chilli powder and pepper. Heat a pan as hot as it will go (don't add oil or butter), and then sear them on each side until blackened.

(Note: this will fill your kitchen with smoke!)

The result is deliciously savoury and juicy.