IF etc

Options
Blondx615
Blondx615 Posts: 15 Member
edited February 2020 in Introduce Yourself
Hey y'all! I was a member years ago and struggled to lose weight when being very active. I had spinal surgery last year, losing 25 lbs in 4 months, and now I am experiencing the difficult transition from former athlete to disabled person. My dream is to run again. Giving IF a go for weight maintenance.

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your spinal injury :\. I've gone from very active to not very at all myself due to a chronic illness, so I know how tough it is to not be able to do the things you love and used to be able to do.

IF can be helpful for some people in terms of finding it easier to stick to their deficit because they're eating within a restricted timeframe. For others, it can be a complete disaster, because they get overly hungry and end up overeating. Really, it comes down to whether it suits your eating pattern (eg, if you're not really a breakfast person and can easily skip it, IF will probably work well for you). That's it's only benefit in terms of weight loss/management though. It still comes down to calories in vs calories out, and when you eat doesn't affect that in any meaningful way.
  • RngrZulu2
    RngrZulu2 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I’m trying Keto/IF too. I was sick, but am recovering. Lost a lot of muscle mass. Eventually I will get back into more exercise. But I’m happy with the way I can use IF for overall health.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your spinal injury. I hope you can run again someday! :'(

IF is the only thing that really works for me. I've been doing it on and off for years before anyone called it "IF". Sometimes I'll fast all day and just eat a big dinner. Sometimes I'll do the 16/8 thing where you wait to eat until 16 hours after your last meal and then eat only during that 8 hour period, but still watching calories. Either way usually works and keeps me accountable. People (my mom) yell at me and say it's unhealthy, but I've never been a big breakfast eater. And I think not eating is healthier than downing a bunch of sugar (orange juice) and carbs (cereal) first thing, only to feel ravenously hungry an hour later. Just my experience though.

I also had a surgical procedure several years ago that caused me to lose some weight and permanently altered my body. It took a long time for me to feel better. While I was recovering, I found that IF helped maintain the weight loss while I was unable to exercise. Good luck to you. ❤️