HOOKED on sugar

I am having trouble decreasing/eliminating my sugar intake. I crave it like crazy. If I have one cookie or one piece of cake my mind begins to focus on that and I can’t get it off of it. It’s like an addiction. How do I get off sugar?

Replies

• Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    edited January 2020
    I wish I knew how to kill cravings. I cut my sugar consumption down a lot and I really don’t crave it as much anymore. I did It by cutting a little here and there to eventually consuming relatively little. I first went after sugar I could see - like in coffee. Then I went after candy and so on. Most of my sugar now comes from fruit with some from packaged foods that I’m trying to avoid. Almost everything in the supermarket has some so be careful.

I find that lately I’m craving nuts in any form. Often. Like all the time. I have plenty of fat in my diet so I don’t know why. Peanut butter please!!!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited January 2020
    I understand. It feels like sugar controls my mind and thoughts much of the time. And I'm the type that cannot have just one of something to be satisfied. Nope, Even one taste sets me into automatic overdrive and I wantwantwant more. :( I don't allow all the stuff I can't say no to, into the house. Well, unless my dh requests it then I'm in temptation trouble. :/ I do chew a lot of gum and have mints. Sometimes that's just enough to stave off temptation.
    The only thing I can suggest is leave some calories for a snack at night, like a 40 cal. fudge pop or diet jello spritzed with ff cool whip, something like that.
    Good luck!! Oh and whatever you do, do NOT visit the thread called 'if it didn't have calories, right now I would eat....' I swear my cravings have increased 110% just by drooling over all the food pics posted. Lol
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Iam a all or nothing girl so although lots of people say have what you enjoy in moderation I find abstinence alot easier because like yourself if I have one that's it, it leads to another & another
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    I'm a lot like you so I don't have it in the house. If it's in the house I will eat it and not just one. Recently if I plan to have a treat, I buy just one treat. If I plan a dessert after dinner, I throw out the dessert that hasn't been eaten the next morning. This works for me, I consider it a reward and I don't do it weekly.

I will say that if I do eat "treats" the craving desire seems to skyrocket. The longer I go without, the less I think about it or desire it.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    I have to be motivated. And ready to do it. Smoking, losing weight, watching nutrients, and changing.

I quit smoking 20 years ago. Couldn't have done it if I hadn't been motivated and ready to do it.

A recent diagnosis of diabetes scared the bejesus out of me (motivation) and I'm ready to do something besides take pills and stick needles in me. In a little over a month I've reduced my sugar intake by close to 80% by reading labels and saying no to added sugars. MFP also helps me plan my eating.

My mantra is Eat Less, Eat Better, Move More. Try it - you'll like it. 👍
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Do you pair proteins with carbs when you eat? The protein slows down how quickly your body absorbs the carbs, whereas if you eat a meal or snack that is almost all carbs, your blood sugar will skyrocket then plummet, which can trigger a craving for more sugar to get your energy up.

I’d also recommend patience. Our bodies get used to a certain level of saltiness or sweetness and it can take some time for our brains to readjust. Afterwards, it can be hard to eat too much sugar because desserts taste too sweet.
  • KevinWH87
    KevinWH87 Posts: 74 Member
    Will substituting other products help reduce your cravings? For example, when I crave a beer, sometimes all I really need is some club soda to get that fizzy sensation.

Can you find something sweet that doesn't have a ton of sugar? An apple? Diet soda? Gum?
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    I love sugar in all its forms and totally understand where you're coming from. I try to avoid having sweet things in the house. I used to buy Magnums for my stepson every weekend but of course I ate them too so now I buy him plain chocolate because he likes it and I don't. I also changed my breakfast. Instead of cornflakes which I covered in sugar I now make milk and water porridge with sweetener to get the taste hit. I also sprinkle a little sugar on the top to get the sweet crunch but that's my added sugar for the day. The rest of the time I try to avoid sugary and refined products. I eat a lot of fruit though which gives me a sugar hit in a different form. I found that the less I ate refined sugar the sweeter naturally sweet foods tasted.