Prepping chicken tips

Options
So chicken is probably my favorite protein to prep, however every time i prep chicken it seems like the next day when i reheat it, it tastes funny . This goes for shredded, grilled or baked chicken. Any tips on how to make leftover prep chicken to taste almost as freshly made/flavorful?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Are you eating it just plain? I've never really noticed this unless I've been reheating plain chicken in the microwave.

I normally eat it in casseroles/sauces or have it cold as a salad when prepping.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Strange, I prep (oven bake) my chicken on a Sunday and eat it over the course of the next 6 days and it tastes just fine. Are you marinading for long enough to let the flavours get into the meat?
  • Krystenp88
    Krystenp88 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I usually don't marinade my chicken but that is something I will definitely try. I usually use mrs DASH seasonings.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Krystenp88 wrote: »
    I usually don't marinade my chicken but that is something I will definitely try. I usually use mrs DASH seasonings.

Are you leaving the seasonings on the chicken for 3-4 hrs (or overnight ideally)? I find it helps. I have in the past had to rush my meal prep which meant seasoning and cooking right away and the taste isn't as great.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I never have those issues, but are your leftovers dry? Could you be overcooking it at all, or reheating it too long to dry it out?
  • Krystenp88
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Krystenp88 wrote: »

Are you leaving the seasonings on the chicken for 3-4 hrs (or overnight ideally)? I find it helps. I have in the past had to rush my meal prep which meant seasoning and cooking right away and the taste isn't as great.

I usually season and then bake. I haven't left seasonings on to marinade long enough for better flavor i guess. Will try next time tho see if that helps. Thanks!
  • Krystenp88
    Options
    aries68mc wrote: »
    I never have those issues, but are your leftovers dry? Could you be overcooking it at all, or reheating it too long to dry it out?

They actually are pretty dry when reheating. I could see over cooking possibly being the issue for drying out flavor.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,555 Member
    Options
    If you reheat in the microwave try a lower setting. I just started doing this so my salmon doesn't dry out and explode.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Re-heat chicken in a non-stick skillet with a half pat of butter (1/4 Tbsp). Toss it tocoat all sides, put a pan lid on it for long enough to heat it through and it'll taste great. You have only added 25 calories.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    For leftover chicken I prefer either to eat cold in a salad or heat in a moist setting such as soup as it can otherwise get dry.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/avgolemono-soup-recipe/
    https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/recipes/fragrant-chicken-laksa-wk44-59b01c7830a03b7fb7310a82

You can buy ready made laksa paste in an asian supermarket instead of making it from scratch as in the above recipe.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Are you reheating in a microwave? If so, that's what's messing it up. Microwaves turn all meats into grossness IMHO. Reheat in oven (covered with tinfoil), toaster oven, or skillet (add some broth or something to the skillet.)
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You can try a reheat cycle in microwave, and cover it either with the saran wrap or a plate or splatter cover. Or covered but shorter time and maybe lower power, depending on your microwave.
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try slicing the chicken into thin slices or small chunks. You can then microwave it for 45 seconds and it will be warm but not dried out.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Microwave brings out the moisture from inside the chicken - not a good thing. Use a skillet.
  • Wordtyper
    Wordtyper Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you’re saying. I’ve tried it every way I can and still tastes like day old chicken and people think I’m just picky. I’ve found that cans of Kirkland chicken from Costco are about the best for eating warm in soup or casserole type dishes and cold on salad. Also the rotisserie chicken if you leave the skin on the meat until you’re ready to use it makes the old chicken taste is less noticeable. Another favorite is the chili lime already cooked chicken breast at Trader Joe’s. Usually close to the cheese section. Hopefully this helps! But I completely agree with the weird taste when cooking ahead of time 😎
  • Krystenp88
    Options
    Wordtyper wrote: »
    I know exactly what you’re saying. I’ve tried it every way I can and still tastes like day old chicken and people think I’m just picky. I’ve found that cans of Kirkland chicken from Costco are about the best for eating warm in soup or casserole type dishes and cold on salad. Also the rotisserie chicken if you leave the skin on the meat until you’re ready to use it makes the old chicken taste is less noticeable. Another favorite is the chili lime already cooked chicken breast at Trader Joe’s. Usually close to the cheese section. Hopefully this helps! But I completely agree with the weird taste when cooking ahead of time 😎

Im glad im not the only one 😆
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Reheated chicken & pork both taste gross to me. I don't mind eating the meat as cold leftovers though.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I don’t really like reheated chicken. There are two things that help me. The first is to braise the chicken in a liquid and then I can reheat in the same liquid with good results. The other is to just find uses for the chicken that don’t require reheating (salads, sandwiches, etc). Also, keep in mind that dark meat reheats better than white meat because it doesn’t dry out as quickly.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Marinating chicken helps make leftovers moist. I have mine cold in a salad, or a sandwich. Another fave way to cook it is dredge in melted butter, then in a bread crumb/spice/grated cheese mixture and bake, and the last 5 minutes, broil. Tastes good cold or reheated.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    My favourite easy cold leftover chicken salad is this. Mix chopped chicken with a chopped avocado, a jar of commercial salsa, and some chopped fresh coriander. Have it in a tortilla.