TOFU

katermari
katermari Posts: 137 Member
as a pescatarian for two years now, i have decided i should dabble into some tofu ( i do not do well with texture, i have a very bland pallet)
i am open to any and all suggestions on brands of tofu, ways to cook it, what do you like?what do you not like?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCED :)

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Buy the extra firm kind. Slice, dry the slices, coat with seasoned breadcrumbs, fry. Mix with other stir fried veggies and delicious sauces
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    I LOVE tofu!
    I usually pick mine up at an Asian Grocery Store. So as far as brands, I tend to get that are Japanese or Korean. No particular ones. I do pay attention to the "firmness" tho.
    Silky for when eating it cold or in certain soups. I even use the silky in vegan chocolate pie! So good and no one ever suspects it! https://pinchofyum.com/vegan-chocolate-pie
    For cooking (Frying, Baking etc) Firm does well. It takes the flavor and holds it's shape. There are ways to marinade it and throw in salads etc. Google it. You'll find something you'll like.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    For plain tofu, douse tofu slices with cornstarch or potato starch and pan fry to get a crispy outer texture. Silken tofu can also be pureed to add a creamy texture to Japanese salad dressings. Halved fried tofu puffs (buy ready made at the asian supermarket) can be added to any dish that is quite liquid such as soup or curries. They are great for soaking up sauces. Tofu sheets are another texture again, and rolled to make something called "buddhist mock duck" in China.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Tofu is my new favorite ingredient to cook with. By nature, it is already bland, so I'm always looking for ways to jazz it up. You can google Cooking Light's recipe for Tofu Chickpea Patties. Delicious, and not a lot of ingredients. Adding it to a scramble is always yummy. I've just started to sub it into things I usually put meat into-curries, stir fries, etc. I also do homemade fresh rolls and use tofu. Oh, and last week when I was meal planning, I googled NYT tofu recipes and it came back with some yummy ideas :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I pretty much only use extra firm and use it in Asian or Indian inspired dishes. I made a really nice Thai red curry ramen noodle with tofu soup the other day...spicy, and lots of flavor when you throw the hot soup over some roughly chopped cilantro and green onions. The mushrooms were a nice touch too.
  • guil0095
    guil0095 Posts: 327 Member
    ughh..baked cubbed tofu with salt and pepper is life changing. so good in buddha bowls with a little peanut sauce.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I pretty much only use extra firm and use it in Asian or Indian inspired dishes. I made a really nice Thai red curry ramen noodle with tofu soup the other day...spicy, and lots of flavor when you throw the hot soup over some roughly chopped cilantro and green onions. The mushrooms were a nice touch too.

Well now you're just teasing us. We need a recipe... ;)