Air Fryers

Options
Who has an air fryer or used one?? Do you like it or not? If so, whats your favorite thing to cook in it?

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Great question! Here for the responses :)
  • thatsmejb
    thatsmejb Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I have a Ninja Foodi, which is an electric pressure cooker and air fryer in one, with a few other functions (slow cooker, steamer etc.).

I use it almost everyday to cook everything from chicken wings to salmon to soups and chilis. In fact, there is very little I can't/don't cook in there.

Added bonus of not heating up the whole house like an oven would.
  • smcinto
    smcinto Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a Philips Air fryer. I tend to cook meat and vegetables in a fraction of the time that it would take in an oven.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Thought about buying one. Researched and decided against it. Main reasons:

1) Small capacity.& high cost/volume
    2) Very large; take up too much space
    3) Doesn't do anything u can't do in the oven
    4) I don't fry anything very often but prefer the taste of oil fried food (vs oven baked) when I do.

PS: I'm also not fan of instant pots, pressure cookers or slow cookers.
  • TiffanyMiffany
    TiffanyMiffany Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I received one for Christmas. I’ve cooked chicken tenders, veggies, fish, an apple crisp, fried Oreos, apple chips, and fries in it so far. I like it, it makes things like fries in a healthier manner and they are better than baked fries, they get crispier. Using it to dehydrate fruits and veggies is nice for snacks too.

But, the small ones make very little so I received a big one which takes up a lot of space. It’s another item to store plus all the pieces it came with to store. And some recipes require really watching them- turning things, changing temps etc so they don’t burn or cook unevenly. Because of the effort to pull everything out and watch it for some stuff, I prefer to make big batches of stuff at once.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I like to make tortilla bowls, because I have a small one. It bunches up in the pan, and toasts up into a crunchy bowl shape.

@just_Tomek probably has some interesting ideas on what you can do with an air fryer. o:)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    I love my air fryer. cook most all my meat proteins in it. Once you've got the timing right and use a meat thermometer, food comes out perfect every time. My favorite thing to cook in it is Salmon & Chicken
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    Options
    I like to make tortilla bowls, because I have a small one. It bunches up in the pan, and toasts up into a crunchy bowl shape.

@just_Tomek probably has some interesting unprintable ideas on what you can do with an air fryer. o:)
    FTFY

• Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love it. I can quickly roast veggies. Cook meats. Make snacks, cheese toasties, tuna melts.
    And it saves turning the over on (44 degrees here 🥵)
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Has anybody tried something like the Cuisinart convection/toaster oven with air fryer function?
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Air cannot fry anything - it is heat and oil which does the frying. No oil used at all? Try steaming, poaching, boiling, drying etc.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    jwoolman5 wrote: »
    Has anybody tried something like the Cuisinart convection/toaster oven with air fryer function?

That's the one I have. I cook everything in it. I've had it almost 2 years and might possibly have turned my regular oven on half a dozen times since then. The only things I don't cook in the air fryer are pretty much things that require boiling water.
  • thatsmejb
    thatsmejb Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments!!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I love my air fryer- i cook fries, tenders, excellent chicken wings- fried fish- etc- i have got to try to raost veggies in it- haven't yet- but will one day
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I use mine almost every day. Chicken, pork, fish, veggies. I would stab anyone who tried to take it away from me. :)
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have one and use it almost daily. I'm only cooking for a small group (only 3 of us in the house and a lot of the times I'm just cooking for myself.) I love not having to turn the oven on for a small piece of fish or chicken, I can use the air fryer for most dishes.

I make frozen items in there (fries, mozz sticks, chicken nugs etc) but I also do fresh veggies and fresh meat all the time. I've made a meatloaf in mine, a whole chicken, bagels, grilled cheese too. The possibilities are endless, as long as it fits in there you can probably cook it in the air fryer.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I love my air fryer. I hardly use the oven anymore because it is so energy efficient being compact and well insulated. Even running at the highest temperature mine is pretty cool to the touch on the outside.

I like doing meats that need help with getting rid of subcutaneous fat such as skin on chicken or duck, skin on fish fillets, pork roasts with crackling. For fatty skins such as duck and goose breasts or pork shoulder, score the skin to lose maximum fat.

As an oven replacement I like to do are roast dinners. You can fit a small roast beef or half a leg of lamb with potatoes even in a compact air fryer. In the small model I have (Phillips Viva) I can fit vegetables such as sliced carrots or parsnips under the basket. I also routinely do oven chips, frozen spring rolls brushed with oil, and roast vegetables tossed in olive oil, homemade croquettes rolled in oiled breadcrumbs.
  • wendynugent6078
    wendynugent6078 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a larger air fryer, the gourmia from Costco. The size allows me to cook more at one time and yes, it takes up more space on the counter, BUT, I was able to get rid of the toaster, as it makes great toast!

My favorite food cooked in the air fryer other than homemade chicken nuggets? Garbanzo beans! I had tried multiple times to cook them in a regular oven but they never came out consistent... they would have some that were cooked perfectly and others that were mushy. With the air fryer they are perfect! Just rinse them, sprinkle on some seasoning and cook for about 10 minutes or so... perfect snack!
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My husband and I researched extensively on an air fryer. We ended up buying the Breville smart oven. We have an actual fryer with the oil and everything but I wanted something healthier. So far our teenage daughters love it too. They have appetizer night and have made everything in it. Pizza comes out great. We made potato wedges that were nice and crispy. It has convection then super convection.