Couch to 5k - considering doing

Options
I would love to run a 5K, but I have a hard time walking long distances without my legs hurting. All the muscles in my body are so tense. I go to a LMT and she is amazed at how tight I am. I stretch often to no avail. I am considering doing c25k, but I am worried about my legs, and my knee, which spends many days in a hinged knee brace. I also run incorrectly, meaning very, very flat footed, that I slam into the ground every time I step.
any suggestions for me to get to where I can complete a 5k?

Replies

• 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    I love your ambition, hell I applaud it.

But get in this game for the long haul. Nobody starts off just running, you gotta be able to walk a fair distance first.

I would say once you hit a point where you can walk 3.5 mph without pain for nearly any distance, I would say to consider intervals into jogging then full on jogging.

The fact your legs get sore walking, and you need a knee brace on occasion tells me that jumping into jogging without first being able to take that intermediate step of becoming a successful "faster and more enduring" walker would likely end up with you having even tighter muscles, and even more pain and injury, and failing in your goal.

A smart, stubborn, long term approach is advisable.

-Do daily rehab work, I would seriously recommend gentle yoga where you hold stretches a long time and learn technique, rather then trying to get a workout

-Walk every other day and stop when you start to feel it getting uncomfortable, adding distance and speed over a period of weeks

And before you start actual running, get assessed by a PT or better yet, a registered athletic therapist. If you need a knee brace on occasion, that is a big warning sign that your gait may be incorrect, which will cause a much bigger issue once you start to run.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    This is something you definitely need to consult with your therapist before doing. But here is my experience with C25K.

I started it last year and can now run 6 miles straight after feeling like I was dying after 30 seconds. My almost 11 year old daughter has started using it and is on week 3 and is really showing great improvement (also someone that got winded very early). VERY IMPORTANT to stretch before and after. Not to be overlooked are your hamstrings, those tight muscles in the back of your legs. If they are tight, they can cause calf soreness and back pains. Some pilate and yoga moves can be helpful. But whatever you do, definitely do it under the supervision of your physician/therapist, and never underestimate a good stretch.
  • BloatedBeast
    BloatedBeast Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K on Wednesday, due to go out again today. I've never been the best runner, although I can't say I've had pain from walking, other than from rugby injuries. The only thing I would say is get a pair of running shoes and just dive in. You may get a couple aches and pains, that's fairly normal in your muscles. Just stop yourself if the pain is more serious and bone/joint related. I'm not sure where you could get it but I've heard people getting training on how to run, or gate training.
    But I say just give it a bash.
  • BloatedBeast
    BloatedBeast Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    VERY IMPORTANT to stretch before and after. Not to be overlooked are your hamstrings, those tight muscles in the back of your legs. If they are tight, they can cause calf soreness and back pains. Some pilate and yoga moves can be helpful. But whatever you do, definitely do it under the supervision of your physician/therapist, and never underestimate a good stretch.

Sorry, have to disagree here, you shouldn't stretch before a good warm-up! If you stretch a cold muscle you are more than likely going to injure yourself.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've completed the c25k last week and it is a great program. I think that if you feel tighteness on your legs after walking and such you should perhaps start by walking alone increasing the distance slowly. You should also stretch after exercise extensively and all the different muscles.
    In terms of your gait (the way the foot touches the ground) the best option is to have it analyzed by a speciality store so that you can get the appropriate shoes for your mechanics of running, that will be a great help to avoid injury.
    Also don't save on the shoes, you can run with pretty much any attire, but make sure you've got the most comfortable shoes you can no matter how much they cost.

Hope it helps, any questions shoot me a message anytime.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    VERY IMPORTANT to stretch before and after. Not to be overlooked are your hamstrings, those tight muscles in the back of your legs. If they are tight, they can cause calf soreness and back pains. Some pilate and yoga moves can be helpful. But whatever you do, definitely do it under the supervision of your physician/therapist, and never underestimate a good stretch.

Sorry, have to disagree here, you shouldn't stretch before a good warm-up! If you stretch a cold muscle you are more than likely going to injure yourself.

Could be true. I'm constantly on the move, my muscles are very rarely ever "cold" before I start my run :wink:
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well, you've definitely got some obstacles to overcome. I don't have any medical training, but I have some running experience, so maybe I can give you some points to consider. For the muscle tightness, is this maybe an electrolytes issue? Are you getting enough sodium / potassium in your diet? Inadequate electrolyte levels can cause cramping and restless leg syndrome. Flat footed running: Talk to someone at a running shoe retailer that you trust. When you shop for running shoes, you'll see that the shoes have ratings for cushioning, control, and stability. They'll be able to help you pick a shoe that should help reduce the effects of your gait. Why do you wear a knee brace? Again, I'm not a doctor, but my philosophy is that if you give your body some sort of external support, the body gets weaker and tends to rely on that external support. But there is probably more to your knee brace than I'm aware of. If you're looking at the c25k program, you may consider just extending it some, and not building up the mileage as quickly as the standard program suggests. As always, when training, if you're hurt, let your injury heal, eat properly to give your body the nutrients it needs. OK, off of my soap box now. Hopefully there's something here you can use... Good luck!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is some dedication!. I agree with what others say in that you should make sure you can walk that distance at a good brisk pace first. Check with your doctor/therapist first but I would suggest doing c25k BUT DON'T RUN YET. Use the c25k programme but instead or run/walk intervals, use brisk walk/normal walk for your intervals. Once you can brisk walk the entire distance/time then you could try including run intervals but CHECK WITH YOU MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS FIRST. You don't want to end up doing something that actually sets you back.

Good luck getting there. Remember that it's not important how you get there, just that you get there in the end :flowerforyou:
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Some great replies and great advice here.

Nothing really to add. Definitely seek advice, definitely get the right shoes.

I have very tight calf muscles, and I started doing the C25k. I was fine until I did the 20 minute long session in week 5. The next day my leg muscles were so tight my back was in agony. But, I didn't stretch. Not before, not after. And every other run I did I'd gone for a hot bath after which I think helped.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yes! I say a big fat yes!
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I'm going to try c25k barefoot soon. Just getting a little adjusted to the barefoot part right now.
  • WhitneyFMills
    Options
    So many replies! Thanks for all of the advice.
    For a little background info....
    My knee problem. I am 24, and have had knee problems since I ran track in Jr High. I had eating issues, and well, didn't eat much of anything despite running track. I passed out a few times on the track from exerting myself to much without an adequate amount of food in me. But the real issue was once I was running, and I just landed wrong on my foot. My knee buckled and down I went. "Inflamed Patellar Ligament" or "Tendonitis of my knee". I also had water on my knee. To make matters worse, I didn't seek therapy for my knee until 2 1/2 years later. Went to rehab for it, and stopped because the pain after treatment was way to much for my high school self to handle.
    When I was 18, I was super thin. Because I don't want to say how much I weigh now, I will just reveal how much weight I have gained......75 pounds. That's 75 pounds in 5 years.
    This past year, I have been battling my way through a rough divorce. I am dealing with so much stress that my body doesn't know how to handle itself, and well, I haven't tried to prevent the evil attack of stress on my body.
    I have also had body issues, internal, for quite some time. Hormonal issues that is going on about 6 years now. The last two years have been the worst.
    My point here is simple. I have NOT taken the best care of my body over the years, but I am too young to not fix this now.

p.s. the only way I can run with a proper gait, is to run in shape-ups. I heard this isnt good for you unless they are the running shape-ups (idk, my brother has some). Mine are the classic looking, big sole ones. But it makes my foot roll. What do you guys think????
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I discovered biking this year as an alternative to running. Much easier on my knees, feet, etc.