1620 calories too much no excercise or eating healthier?

Options
I’m currently set my calorie amount to 1620 with .5 pound loss . I weigh 175.8 and on good day 173 .I realize this is water loss most of time .Ive been fluctuating all week .Ive been back on this app for about week.I was wondering if my calorie amount is too high ? I’m not eating healthier or exercising but this amount of calories keeps me happy and not feeling deprived I’m just not sure if it’s too much ? It’s the amount website recommended..My first goal is to get down to 160 and slowly after that get down 130 I know it will take long time with amount of calories I’m eating and down the line I might have to readjust but I’m still not sure I will see results

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    .5 a week is slow weight loss, which is good for a lot of reasons if you don't have much to lose.

The downsides are:
    1. Loss can take a while to show up on the scale, since water weight fluctuations can cover up fat loss in the numbers for a while.
    2. Your logging and measuring have to be on point, because it's easy with a few bad estimates to be at maintenance since your deficit isn't that high.

I would first focus on tightening your logging to weigh and log everything you put into your mouth. If you are doing that, then I would just have patience and give it time. Your weight loss is supposed to be slow, so trust the process.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't factor in exercise calories so if you have set your deficit at -0.5/week and you eat the calories allotted, you will get there eventually. It is normal to fluctuate daily (you are right about water weight!) so you won't see much change (if any) over a week. Others will probably chime in with all the great links that explain MFP well (how to measure/weigh food properly, etc.) but feel free to add me as a friend since our #s seem to be so close! I aim for 1570 calories/day, fluctuate between 171 and 174 and I seem to be going absolutely nowhere lately. Also get an app that shows your weight trend (that accounts for daily fluctuations). I use Libra.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Is it too much? No clue, you haven't provided your height, gender, age, or activity level.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I’m currently set my calorie amount to 1620 with .5 pound loss . I weigh 175.8 and on good day 173 .I realize this is water loss most of time .Ive been fluctuating all week .Ive been back on this app for about week.I was wondering if my calorie amount is too high ? I’m not eating healthier or exercising but this amount of calories keeps me happy and not feeling deprived I’m just not sure if it’s too much ? It’s the amount website recommended..My first goal is to get down to 160 and slowly after that get down 130 I know it will take long time with amount of calories I’m eating and down the line I might have to readjust but I’m still not sure I will see results

When I go about losing my 10ish Lbs of winter fluff every year I typically do it at a rate of .5 Lbs per week. You have to realize that this is a really slow rate of fat loss and can easily be masked by normal fluctuation and one week is definitely not enough time to notice anything...I can be up or down usually 2-3 Lbs day to day...so you can see how .5 Lbs per week loss could easily be masked by those swings.

It usually takes a good 4-6 weeks to be like, "yeah...looks like I lost about 2 actual Lbs this month." Weight loss isn't linear, and it's even less so with a .5 Lb goal.
  • jlsjenni1992
    jlsjenni1992 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one 🙂I’m I’m 28 5’3 and 175 pounds
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    You didn't say how active you are, so I guessed lightly active. Based on that, I ran your stats through an online calculator and got this...

h0qlqudduk48.jpg

BMR - the amount of calories your body needs in a coma, no movement.

TDEE - the amount of calories you body needs to maintain your current weight

This site gives a calorie goal of 1732 for weight loss. These calculators are just a starting point. You'll have to track and experiment to see if the number they spit out is correct for you. So, 1620 or 1732, pick one, log accurately and assess.
  • jlsjenni1992
    jlsjenni1992 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will definitely look into 🙂