Depression and dieting

Options
Hi all,

I struggle with depression and am going through a really tough time with it (probably party because it's dark and wintery and I'm not motivated to get out as much). It means I'm to yo- ing becuase I comfort eat, and don't get out enough, and I just wondered how everyone else is doing and if anyone else struggles with this.

Hoping you're able to help me get myself back in a "losing" frame of mind!

Thanks,

Jen

Replies

• traceycorney
    traceycorney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had depression on and off for years. I have put on 4 stone in the last five years, and everytime I try and lose weight stress or depression gets me and I end up binging and drinking.

I am currently working on realising that food isn't a "cure" for being sad. It is, at best a short term fix, which often leads to feeling worse cause then I am upset that i have overeaten. Also I know my unhappiness with my weight is also a factor in making me feel worse then I am down, so I start to think how I would feel even the littlest bit better at that moment had I had some weight lose.

I have realised I am on a journey though, so when i feel low I make my calorie target higher. Still less than normal, but enough that I have a bit of room without going OTT. I feel like I have space to regonise I am having a hard time, without just going "f*** it".

Eating well and in line with your aspirations is one of the kindest things you can do for yourself. Your having a hard time, so it feels like being kind right now is important.
  • lizholt326
    lizholt326 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with depression since I was a teenager (I'm now 32) so I understand. I've also been going through a tough time recently. Though I hate the advice "get some exercise" as it relates to depression, I have committed myself to getting to the gym 5-6 days a week since the beginning of the year. The first week or so was a struggle but now I'm in the zone. The depression is still there, but I think it's actually having routine that eases it.

I'm not sure if that's helpful at all, but you're definitely not alone!
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and depressive episodes have definitely been the cause of a lot of my weight gain in the past, too. I've never been much of an emotional eater, but when depression hits for me I end up with zero motivation to take care of myself. That leads to zero activity and eating food for convenience rather than nutrition. Seriously, I could sleep 20 hours a day if I let myself.

For me, having a routine I can follow helps me so much to feel stable. Now logging food and exercise are kind of comforting for me because they've become part of my daily routine. If I'm feeling overwhelmed with things outside of my control I'll come over to the forum to distract myself. I do workouts that are all about getting out of my head for a while. It's a nice moment for me when I can lay out my workout clothes for the day (I'll confess that I also do a bit too much retail therapy shopping for workout clothes).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I cannot personally relate so I have no idea if this article is helpful or in what situations it applies. I just happen to collect links to give back out when it matches a discussion.

Here is the article:

https://bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/carbohydrate-intake-and-depression-qa.html/
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with depression too, and it was just a drag to get through each individual day, with nothing left in the tank to deal with diet/health.

Advice to exercise to help didn't do me any good...I would end up feeling even more exhausted for the rest of the day and feel like a failure because it didn't help.

For me, I had to work on the depression first...I found some hobbies I enjoy and worked on those (took a photography course, joined a club, and started helping at a volunteer organisation providing breakfast for school kids).

I also went to the doctor, and for a time took a medication for anxiety, which helped so much.

Once I was out of the fog of depression, then I found an exercise routine I actually enjoy (reformer pilates, plus walking the dog), and yes, now I feel great after I go.

And THEN after all that I finally have the mental space to plan meals and snacks that fit my goals - mostly ;)
  • gfjazz
    gfjazz Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It’s tuff for me too depression struggle to exercise grab wrong food but going to start nutrisystem biz of food I picked just grab out of box and eat 2 months for me
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    ...I found some hobbies I enjoy and worked on those...

Once I was out of the fog of depression, then I found an exercise routine I actually enjoy (reformer pilates, plus walking the dog), and yes, now I feel great after I go.

Yes. So much this.
  • AlaskanJem
    AlaskanJem Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been beyond depressed and I never really have been before at least for a long period of time... and I am most definitely an emotional eater and it has helped me gain weight but it’s like I can’t help it? I need to start my work out DVDs but it’s a mind thing. 😩 I feel you. Today is my first day on MFP and I feel like I had to start somewhere. 💪🏻
  • singin5447
    singin5447 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @gojengo2020
    I got my diagnosis 13 years ago. I sooo don't want to exercise. Even though I know it will eventually have positive benefits and even has the potential to feel good. Been there, long time ago.

I went in search of something with the smallest possible commitment and found an app from Johnston and Johnston called the 7 minute workout. You can create customized workouts with only the exercises you feel comfortable with.

I've been able to commit to 3 times a week without getting overwhelmed.

I also invested in a cheap Fitbit. I don't have lofty goals, in fact I only aim to get about 1000 more steps than I would in a normal day. And I can get those by pacing the living room during TV commercials. I do a figure 8 around the room. Low commitment but I feel good about those 1000 steps and it adds up.

What I'm saying in a nutshell is try to find something small that feels like it's next to nothing. Start there and you've got your first big win.