HOT ENERGY DRINKS - I NEED TO STAY AWAKE AND FOCUSED

Options
Hey everyone i was wondering what hot energy drinks I can consume that wont lower my iron levels. Coffee and Tea, no milk, cream or sugar lower iron adsorption and I have I tried Google with no luck at all. Can anyone help me? Also I am allergic to Ensure and Boost energy drinks as well. It contains soy and causes weight gain which I dont need. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    AquaMeow wrote: »
    Hey everyone i was wondering what hot energy drinks I can consume that wont lower my iron levels. Coffee and Tea, no milk, cream or sugar lower iron adsorption and I have I tried Google with no luck at all. Can anyone help me? Also I am allergic to Ensure and Boost energy drinks as well. It contains soy and causes weight gain which I dont need. Thanks for your help!

If you are having trouble staying awake and focused and have other underlying medical conditions, your doctor would be best placed person for advice.

I already went to the doctor. The only thing I have with me is high cholesterol which I'm working on bringing down with not eating sweets and high carb junk. But my energy is still low
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    Caffeine is what inhibits iron absorption in teas and coffees and what makes up much of the "energy" in energy drinks. You might consider ensuring your sleep patterns are allowing you to get the rest you need.

I sleep an average 5 to 9 hours a night and on the weekends longer, hopefully. Any vitamins I should take in the morning for energy....no hot drinks for higher energy :( ?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is what inhibits iron absorption in teas and coffees and what makes up much of the "energy" in energy drinks. You might consider ensuring your sleep patterns are allowing you to get the rest you need.

I sleep an average 5 to 9 hours a night and on the weekends longer, hopefully. Any vitamins I should take in the morning for energy....no hot drinks for higher energy :( ?

I'm anemic. Sound like your iron levels aren't under control yet. What are you doing for that? Avoiding caffeine, etc., is insufficient.

Also, anemia aside, there is a HUGE difference in my energy levels on 5 hours sleep vs 9. I need at least 7. I work very hard at my sleep hygiene.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Here's something I posted on another thread about how I manage my anemia. Don't aggressively supplement on your own - work closely with your doctor to monitor your levels.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm anemic and need to get almost 400% of the RDA to keep my levels in Low Normal.

The first two types of iron my doctor prescribed did not help with both my iron and energy levels.

Now I take iron bisglycinate, which does not have the side effects people complain about with supplements that use other forms of iron. When I buy from Amazon I get Solgar and when I buy from Emerson I get Thorne. (Using the Amazon link as I doubt many people have access to Emerson.)

For lunch during my period I eat Wellshire Liverwurst; 2 oz = 35% RDA iron. If I can't make it to Whole Foods I get Boar's Head Liverwurst, 2 oz = 25% RDA iron. (For people who want more iron but don't like liver - neither do I; can't stand the stuff, but I do like liverwurst. Wellshire also makes turkey liverwurst. Less iron, but also less fat and calories. Last I checked this brand was exclusive to Whole Foods.)

I also make chicken liver pate but don't really like it, probably because I use way less butter, as a stick seems excessive, but probably improves the taste. However, a whole stick of butter would throw the macros and micros off.

I also mix 1 T of blackstrap molasses into a cup of warm water every morning. That gives me 20% RDA. Here's what I order https://smile.amazon.com/Wholesome-Sweeteners-Organic-Molasses-Pack/dp/B001M0G2PO/ but caution - this brand can leak, so best to not get anything else with that order. It was the cheapest, so I continued to put up with it.

Vitamin C helps with iron absorption and I mix powdered, buffered vitamin C into the molasses "tea" to create a dreadful concoction :lol:https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I4AIUA/
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Get more sleep.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The "energy" in these drinks usually comes from caffeine, sugar, or both. So if you can't have caffeine, put sugar in something.

However I agree with the other posters that a better solution would be more sleep. It sounds like your 5/6/7 hour nights are leaving you tired.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you are also trying to lose weight you can try lowering your calorie deficit. Weight loss requires that you eat less food than you actually need for your energy needs. This forces your body to used stored energy to make up the deficit. At certain levels of deficit the body will feel sluggish and fatigued. You may feel this in a more pronounced way even at a normally appropriate deficit level.

• AquaMeow
    Options

I'm anemic. Sound like your iron levels aren't under control yet. What are you doing for that? Avoiding caffeine, etc., is insufficient.

Also, anemia aside, there is a HUGE difference in my energy levels on 5 hours sleep vs 9. I need at least 7. I work very hard at my sleep hygiene.

Yes I have anemia. It's so bad I cant even donate blood. I've always had low iron and I take sss tonic for it but I want to drink something warm throughout the day to keep me awake and I have no idea where to turn or what to drink for that.
  • AquaMeow
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you are also trying to lose weight you can try lowering your calorie deficit. Weight loss requires that you eat less food than you actually need for your energy needs. This forces your body to used stored energy to make up the deficit. At certain levels of deficit the body will feel sluggish and fatigued. You may feel this in a more pronounced way even at a normally appropriate deficit level.

Yes I am working on weight loss. I eat fish, meat, veggies and fruits and eggs. No grain or dairy or artificial nonsense. I think they call it the paleo diet
  • kshama2001
    Options

Yes I have anemia. It's so bad I cant even donate blood. I've always had low iron and I take sss tonic for it but I want to drink something warm throughout the day to keep me awake and I have no idea where to turn or what to drink for that.

When's the last time you had your iron levels checked? The form of iron in SSS Tonic may not be effective for you.

I drink caffeinated tea, but if you want something warm without caffeine, try https://teeccino.com. You can buy many varieties on Amazon. However, since it doesn't have caffeine, it's not technically an energy drink. All energy drinks have caffeine, which you wish to avoid.

Probably the best way to address your fatigue is to make sure your anemia is under control and to get at least 7 hours of sleep EVERY night.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    While I've never been anemic, I agree with kshama2001. Get your iron levels checked, work with your provider(s) to manage your anemia, and get more sleep. Otherwise, what you've asked for in this thread is essentially attempting to treat the symptoms without actually addressing the root causes of your lack of energy.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Is that what a real doctor told you to take just what you decided? As a male when I went to give blood and my iron was low they told me to get to my PCP. Before he would tell me what supplement to use I had colonoscopy and endoscopy to make sure no issues.

He then put me on an OTC supplement, have no problem giving blood every 2 months now.
  • AquaMeow
    Options

When's the last time you had your iron levels checked? The form of iron in SSS Tonic may not be effective for you.

I drink caffeinated tea, but if you want something warm without caffeine, try https://teeccino.com. You can buy many varieties on Amazon. However, since it doesn't have caffeine, it's not technically an energy drink. All energy drinks have caffeine, which you wish to avoid.

Probably the best way to address your fatigue is to make sure your anemia is under control and to get at least 7 hours of sleep EVERY night.

I just recently had my iron levels checked on Tuesday and it was fine.
  • AquaMeow
    Options

Thank you for the Amazon recommendation!!