Options
2»

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Someone told me they fasted for twenty hours before longer runs and I tried it and it worked for me and I felt lighter and faster. However, I can eat something small and still run and be fine. If I eat something large, a full meal, I will feel sluggish but I don't usually feel ill. I've only gotten ill once while running (burping gas) and I've been at it awhile now, but it wasn't how much I ate, but rather what I ate (beans).

Please bear in mind that this is very individual. I run before breakfast in the mornings, and have done so for a long time.

I'm currently training for a race and my morning mileage is going up. Turns out that once I get past about 5 miles I start retching if I haven't eaten. Have been experimenting with a small piece of fruit, couple of spoons of yoghurt and it seems to help. It can't be much though as have to go out immediately. I

The only thing to do really is try a few things and see how you feel.

Yes, it is very individual. I did not ask you for advice and I'm not concerned about what works for you, as I know it's very individual. I was offering my experience to original poster who was asking for advice. I am running the Austin Marathon next Sunday and thus, I have figured out during training at all different distances what works for me. What works for you is fantastic but irrelevant to me. Perhaps you were trying to address original poster who asked for advice. Best of luck to you!
  • X100KLS1992
    X100KLS1992 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi hun. I've ran up to a half marathon. For shorter runs I don't tend to eat before. Or for a few hours before. If I am hungry I'll have banana. A longer run I have a bagel and a banana. Aftrr I sometimes have a protein shake, or as I like to run in a morning I have breakfast that's high in protein. X
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before a run unless I'm planning to do more than ten miles or so. It's my personal preference to run with nothing in my stomach. If I do eat something, it'll be a bagel with peanut butter or some microwaved sweet potato . . . something like that, because I know from experience it will sit well in my stomach.

After a run, I don't eat anything special, just my regular breakfast. Or if it's a race day, potato chips and a beer.
  • LoveyChar
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I don't eat before a run unless I'm planning to do more than ten miles or so. It's my personal preference to run with nothing in my stomach. If I do eat something, it'll be a bagel with peanut butter or some microwaved sweet potato . . . something like that, because I know from experience it will sit well in my stomach.

After a run, I don't eat anything special, just my regular breakfast. Or if it's a race day, potato chips and a beer.

I find it interesting that beer is offered to participants after upcoming marathon. Why beer, do you know? According to my husband, it's a common thing to do.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I find it interesting that beer is offered to participants after my upcoming marathon? Why beer, do you know? According to my husband, it's a common thing to do.

It is common.

During New Orleans some of the spectators were offering beer and beignets during the marathon.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I find it interesting that beer is offered to participants after my upcoming marathon? Why beer, do you know? According to my husband, it's a common thing to do.

My anecdotal experience is that many runners like drinking. My area has a Brewery running series (run a 5k around a brewery, get a free beer afterward) and my running club does brewery runs where we run to four different breweries and sample beer from each one.

If you like beer, a post-marathon beer is even more delicious than beer typically is! The end of a race is a time when you're often feeling really cheerful about what you've achieved and you're meeting up with friends and family in the finish area, so it's got a kind of outdoor festival vibe, just with sweatier people. In that context, the beer thing isn't as weird as it may sound at first. And it's a good promotional opportunity for breweries, so they're happy to go along.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

It is common.

During New Orleans some of the spectators were offering beer and beignets during the marathon.

During?!? Oh my goodness! I have to look up beignets because I don't know what that is.
  • LoveyChar
    Options

My anecdotal experience is that many runners like drinking. My area has a Brewery running series (run a 5k around a brewery, get a free beer afterward) and my running club does brewery runs where we run to four different breweries and sample beer from each one.

If you like beer, a post-marathon beer is even more delicious than beer typically is! The end of a race is a time when you're often feeling really cheerful about what you've achieved and you're meeting up with friends and family in the finish area, so it's got a kind of outdoor festival vibe, just with sweatier people. In that context, the beer thing isn't as weird as it may sound at first. And it's a good promotional opportunity for breweries, so they're happy to go along.

Thanks! Well I'm going to enjoy it but I'd be even more thrilled if it was wine. No complaints, though. Can't complain about free beer...
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It is common.

I ran a marathon in Memphis last year and there were people handing out little shots of beer, mimosas, "moonshine," and Fireball. Much more festive than my typical Minneapolis experience, where I've never had a spectator offer me anything but beer. I bet a beignet would be an awesome mid-marathon snack (assuming you could stomach the fat).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    many of our runs are partially sponsored by breweries.
    fun runs depart or end at breweries.
    my marathon ran my past miller and schlitz breweries
    there were many an offer for alcohol all along those 26.2. a few offers for funny cigarettes

one unofficial aid station at my annual half has fried chicken and beer. someone else often has whiskey.

many of my 5ks, dare i say most, involve a beer or root beer after the finish line
    i've run fasted. it does NOT work for me. i need to eat something small like a protien bar or waffle with peanut butter.
    for every 3 miles, i eat a gu (well, chew/gummies)
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    If you are super new then you likely aren't running long enough to need anything. I prefer running on an empty stomach and normally do if I am running less than 90 minutes (runs longer than that tend to be on weekends, so I have a different schedule anyway).

If not running first thing in the morning, just make sure the run is not too soon after your last meal, and whatever you ate in that meal should be sufficient -- I used to run 6.5-10 miles home from work (6.5 was straight home, but I could add to it to get a longer run) and whatever I had had at lunch hours earlier was fine.

If you don't feel comfortable running in the morning without eating something first, go with something easily digested. When I was marathon training I used to have greek yogurt and a banana before my weekend long runs, and for my last half I had some orange juice and a banana. I also find that I benefit whatever I have in the morning (or nothing) from having had starchy carbs the night before.

This, all of this.

Also, you'll find what foods are DEFINITE NO before running- like I can't drink coffee before running, or I'll feel terrible. I can't eat tomato based things or I'll feel terrible. Trial and error will tell you what will be best for you.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Thanks! Well I'm going to enjoy it but I'd be even more thrilled if it was wine. No complaints, though. Can't complain about free beer...

For future reference, I'm sure they would have wine at this one: https://www.wineglassmarathon.com/races

And there's this: https://vinepair.com/articles/bordeaux-marathon-medoc/ (seems crazy, but you know, the French) ;-)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Someone told me they fasted for twenty hours before longer runs and I tried it and it worked for me and I felt lighter and faster. However, I can eat something small and still run and be fine. If I eat something large, a full meal, I will feel sluggish but I don't usually feel ill. I've only gotten ill once while running (burping gas) and I've been at it awhile now, but it wasn't how much I ate, but rather what I ate (beans).

Please bear in mind that this is very individual. I run before breakfast in the mornings, and have done so for a long time.

I'm currently training for a race and my morning mileage is going up. Turns out that once I get past about 5 miles I start retching if I haven't eaten. Have been experimenting with a small piece of fruit, couple of spoons of yoghurt and it seems to help. It can't be much though as have to go out immediately. I

The only thing to do really is try a few things and see how you feel.

Yes, it is very individual. I did not ask you for advice and I'm not concerned about what works for you, as I know it's very individual. I was offering my experience to original poster who was asking for advice. I am running the Austin Marathon next Sunday and thus, I have figured out during training at all different distances what works for me. What works for you is fantastic but irrelevant to me. Perhaps you were trying to address original poster who asked for advice. Best of luck to you!

That's the attitude. Now what was said that was so wrong here again????
  • LoveyChar
    Options

For future reference, I'm sure they would have wine at this one: https://www.wineglassmarathon.com/races

And there's this: https://vinepair.com/articles/bordeaux-marathon-medoc/ (seems crazy, but you know, the French) ;-)

After 23 glasses of wine, I'd be lucky to just stumble across the finish line. 😬
  • ssorg9
    ssorg9 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

It is common.

During?!? Oh my goodness! I have to look up beignets because I don't know what that is.

I ran a marathon in New Orleans and had a beer at mile 20. I was in New Orleans, enjoy!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    ssorg9 wrote: »

It is common.

I ran a marathon in New Orleans and had a beer at mile 20. I was in New Orleans, enjoy!

Thank you!