Too much to tackle and no idea where to start!!!!

Options
Hi guys and girls! I am desperate for your tips, guidance and advice please? I am a 46 year old mum that normally works full time but am currently on sick leave. My body weight is twice and a bit what it should be and its affecting all aspects of my life. I also suffer with multiple slipped discs, sciatica and degeneration of the discs in my lower back, hence why I am off work. I also suffer from what I have been told is lymphedema, which gives me horrendously swollen legs and feet, making any kind of movement difficult. I am hoping to be offered spinal surgery for my back problem in the not too distant future but of course my weight is going to be a major issue so I need to address it now. I have previously lost 11 stone with slimming world but as soon as I reached my target, started piling the weight back on again. I have tried a few times since then to lose the weight again but to no avail, but realise that it needs to be successful this time permanently for me, my health, my happiness and my family. The thing is I have no idea where to start as since turning 40 have found things more difficult than ever. I need a family friendly overhaul of my eating habits together with an absolute basics exercise plan that starts with me just walking. I have no room at home for equipment, dont drive so cant get to a gym so need to start walking literally before I can run!!!! Has anybody else been in a similar situation that can offer me a few pointers please as I dont want to fail again!! Thank you for reading if you made it to the end!!!

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere and sometime soon...like in the morning!...start out with baby steps...this is a life style change not a quick one day fix...figure out your calorie needs, plan a couple of days meals...walk a few minutes at a time...you eat less to lose weight you exercise for physical fitness...the first few weeks concentrate on getting your food in control...don’t eat things you don’t like and don’t do crazy fasts or no carb diets...eat healthy wholesome foods that you enjoy...good luck!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Everything Connie said!

You can do this! Just enter your stats into myfitnesspal, follow the calorie recommendations. For now, measuring your intake with cups/spoons will likely work well enough, but you'll want to get a food scale so you can be more accurate as time goes on (the sooner the better, really).

As far as exercise, any bit is better than none. Walk a little more than you were before and build up as you're able. Get some light dumbbells and do some sitting exercises. Do a few leg lifts now and then when you're sitting in your chair or standing at the kitchen counter.

It all boils down to Eat less, Move more. It doesn't have to be anything intense or exhaustive!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The above by danp is the very best advice. If you follow it, it should get you where you want to be. Remember he wins who eats the most and still loses. Good luck.
  • whizzyweed74
    whizzyweed74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all guys for your helpful words, especially danp, I shall take it one small step at a time.