Dealing with Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)

Options
Hi all I'm no fitness buff and am recently getting back to fitness after recovering from a nasty knee injury.

I suffer from extremely bad DOMS and it's impacting my work. It lasts days, leaves me incapacitated and seems to come over with very little exertion.

I seem to go very fuzzy headed and tired when I have doms too, it's not just painful muscles.

I take protein powder, tumeric and omega oil as well blueberries after a workout as I have heard these helps to reduce the oxidation, reverse muscles breakdown and help inflammation. This has really helped but it's not nearly enough.

The Dom's is so bad it effects my work.

Does anyone have any advice for a Noob like me? Anything I can try? What has worked for you?

I'm way off my fitness goals so will likely suffer this for some time.

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Agree with getting the fuzzy head checked out. But take it slower/lighter. Walk off the DOMS. Don't delay additional training too long because of the soreness because then it will just keep happening. If you can get in at least a 3 day a week habit, it should stop after a couple of weeks.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Have you altered your diet? Dropped carbs, by any chance? May be low blood sugar, if you have. Whatever it is, definitely get it checked out as others have suggested.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Get checked out for the fuzzy head by a medical professional.
    I would not take the anti-inflammatories like fish oil or turmeric immediately post workout. Blunting the inflammatory process post workout might blunt the hypertrophy adaptions. Several studies show that happens when using ice baths post workout.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Fuzzy headed seems like a blood sugar thing that needs a doctor. Muscle soreness for me is helped by doing light cardio the next day, and or stretching. I find chelated magnesium to be helpful for soreness as well. The kind I take has 2 pills per dose. I take a half dose normally to mitigate any digestive issues.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Added to questions above: How is your overall nutrition? How is your sleep? Your overall stress level? Your hydration? Are you trying to lose weight? If so, what's current height/weight, and calorie goal?

Fuzzy-headedness is not normal (getting into "see a doctor" territory, as others suggest). DOMS that's debilitating for days isn't normal, either. Stretching, mild exercise, keep up the same workouts (maybe slightly reduced intensity), warm bath (maybe Epson salts) later in day, etc.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Fuzzy head suggests dehydration. Have a large glass of water after your workout and again the next morning.
  • Urun4me
    Urun4me Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't take anything. DOMS isn't debilitating. The "fuzzy head" could be due to anything from dehydration or iron deficiency anemia to much more serious issues (not that those can't be serious). The more "stuff" you take, the more difficult/squishy a diagnosis may be, and it could even cause more problems.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Consult a doctor.
  • clmartinswood
    clmartinswood Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. Interesting advice and insight, thank you so much!

You asked a few things so here we go:

I am 5ft 9 and weight 97kg approx (211lbs).

I have been very stressed, this could be from that. I often feel off when I am. However, I get this whether I'm stressed or not.

I drink plenty of water, I can assure you it's not dehydration. I drink litres of the stuff before and after workouts. Should I be taking electrolytes?

I don't always sleep as well as I should. However this only has a mild effect on the Dom's.

Unfortunately I'd find it very hard to function without ibropufen, but I take it only as a last resort and usually a day after I'm working

I've been exercising regularly between 1-2 times a week for a while now and still have it bad. Probably since November with a large break during Xmas. If I miss a workout it's usually because of work or DOMS.

I take magnesium, should have mentioned in the first place. I also take liquid iron. I have been anemic before and it doesn't feel like that's the case now.

The fuzzy headed feeling is similar to what you get when you have a virus and temperature. Sugar doesn't help. :(

Easing up on the exercise doesn't help much - someone's very little excerise causes it.

Thanks for the advice and kind words.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I drink plenty of water, I can assure you it's not dehydration. I drink litres of the stuff before and after workouts. Should I be taking electrolytes?

If you're drinking litres of water ... yes, you should definitely be taking electrolytes.

I've been exercising regularly between 1-2 times a week for a while now and still have it bad. Probably since November with a large break during Xmas. If I miss a workout it's usually because of work or DOMS.

What are you doing for exercise?

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Easing up on the exercise doesn't help much - someone's very little excerise causes it.

See the Dr. my friend to rule out the bad stuff.

But, I'm curious about this statement. If it has anything to do with muscle use, you will get a different result with a different level of use. Starting a program, you'd want 1-2 very light weeks. As I cycle in and out of weights, I've done it many times. I even think that having a very light session every other day using exercise bands instead of weights is a good way to start. You could stick to this for several weeks, even.

And, if you are recovering from an injury, you should qualify for PT advice. That could be very helpful. As you get stronger, consulting a personal trainer is also incredibly helpful.

In the end, good advice is worth your gold.
  • clmartinswood
    Options
    Quick note. I spoke to my brother who suffers from the same fuzzy headed feeling, he described it as the same disconnected feeling you get from a low grade fever, which it exactly how it feels for me. He didn't realise it was anything other than normal.
  • Urun4me
    Urun4me Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I take magnesium, should have mentioned in the first place. I also take liquid iron. I have been anemic before and it doesn't feel like that's the case now.

Go see the doctor. Don't take anything else without going to the doctor. It could be that you need to take electrolytes. It could also be something else.

I assume you're taking magnesium and iron under the advice of a doctor? Why not talk to that doctor?

I don't know what you mean by it doesn't feel like you're anemic. The diagnostic method is a CBC and possibly physical analysis of your blood cells, not a feeling.

The fact that your family members are experiencing the same symptoms makes it more concerning. I'm not trying to unnecessarily worry you, and the treatment could be very simple, but you need to talk to someone who can examine you and run necessary tests.
  • clmartinswood
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I did a workout on Tuesday and feel still like I have a bout of flu today because of the DOMS. Work is really hard when I feel like this.

I'm going to speak to the pharmacist about what's happening, I'm not a fan of the doctors and don't want to be seen as a time waster until I've ruled out everything I can first.

Side note:I live in the UK and our healthcare is free, based on preventation but devastating financial cuts mean doctors have less time and are under immense stress, the NHS is in absolute crisis and the wait for an appointment is 3-4 weeks where I live. My mum, dad and brothers all work for the NHS so know how under pressure it is. I'll speak to as many medical people away from the doctor as I can first because I want to go in there and make the most of my 10 minutes!

I last saw a nurse two weeks ago for my flu shot and asthma check up, blood pressure and bloods seemed fine though I can't be sure exactly what they ran without asking.

That being said you've all made me realise this isn't as normal as I presumed it would be and I will make sure I'm seen to.

Thank you.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I did a workout on Tuesday and feel still like I have a bout of flu today because of the DOMS. Work is really hard when I feel like this.

Thank you.

What kind of workout?

• clmartinswood
    Options
    It was fairly heavy one with a PT. We did a lot of leg press, squats, core work. I think most people would have had doms from it and I expected it. It's when I do a lighter workout that it surprises me.
  • emmahann467
    emmahann467 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you properly stretch after a workout? (I mean properly, all over, not just a quick quad and hamstring stretch) Do you foam roll? I found this helps me when I've done a particularly heavy or intense workout. I also have a lovely warm bath with epsom salts ( I buy them in bulk from Amazon) and I combine the weight and cardio work with classes like yoga or Bodybalance to really take care of my body (and my mind).

Just a couple of ideas for you.
  • clmartinswood
    Options
    Do you properly stretch after a workout? (I mean properly, all over, not just a quick quad and hamstring stretch) Do you foam roll? I found this helps me when I've done a particularly heavy or intense workout. I also have a lovely warm bath with epsom salts ( I buy them in bulk from Amazon) and I combine the weight and cardio work with classes like yoga or Bodybalance to really take care of my body (and my mind).

Just a couple of ideas for you.

Sounds amazing. I don't foam roll, not something I've tried, I'll ask the PT to give me some advice and I'll try it! Thanks.