school vs. weight loss

Options
Starting school again this week has totally and completely messed me up! I haven't had the TIME to pack a lunch... and the pressure to eat bad food with friends is high. I'm hungry from walking all over campus, so I eat the easiest, cheapest thing i can grab. :/

Mornings, I get my kids set for school, evenings its their school work and dinner with the family. weekends it's working on music with my husband (trying to get an album finished) and i feel crazy!

feeling like i'm not fallen off the wagon (I'm still gaining awareness and trying to balance eating with exercise) but maybe, half my body is hanging off, dragging a bit behind the wheels, while the rest of me is holding on for life! lol.

gotta get a better handle on food management in the midst of all this.... merry-go-round life... :)

Replies

• jalexander01
    Options
    I am right there behind you, I am taking 20 hours and working 35 hours a week, I can not find time to workout, for finding myself coming and going. I am still watching what I eat, but I dont think I am making the wisest decisions out there.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I am sorry. I understand what you are going through. It is a serious balancing act. It all comes down to preparation - plan meals a week ahead of time, prep meals the night before for the next day.

That is the truth, once you get meal times down with a routine of planning and prep.. start sneaking in 5-10-15-20 minutes of working out where you can.. Jillian Michaeals 30 day shred and ripped in 30 has short 25 minute workouts..

You can do this! you just have to plan and prep ahead of time. Don't give up and don't put yourself last - you need to be 1st so you can take care of your babe and set a great example for them.

You can do it!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    It's hard! But, try and find 5 minutes somwhere in the day to pack a lunch...I do this by cutting off 5 min from my shower, TV, or sleep. Good luck! Working, school, and doing everything else is hard! <3
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Starting school again this week has totally and completely messed me up! I haven't had the TIME to pack a lunch... and the pressure to eat bad food with friends is high. I'm hungry from walking all over campus, so I eat the easiest, cheapest thing i can grab. :/

Mornings, I get my kids set for school, evenings its their school work and dinner with the family. weekends it's working on music with my husband (trying to get an album finished) and i feel crazy!

feeling like i'm not fallen off the wagon (I'm still gaining awareness and trying to balance eating with exercise) but maybe, half my body is hanging off, dragging a bit behind the wheels, while the rest of me is holding on for life! lol.

gotta get a better handle on food management in the midst of all this.... merry-go-round life... :)

pack your lunch the night before...
  • Heather1535
    Options
    I hear ya. I work full-time and go to school full-time (6 months left!) and some days I can't resist the pizza in the cafeteria. My saving grace is healthy snacking. I just bring a couple carrots, celery, piece of fruit or raw nuts for in between work and class. No packing or preparing involved. Just grab. You can do it!
  • stormwarning
    Options
    good to know i'm not alone! :)

i do believe we will make it through! just feeling a little overwhelmed this week.... thanks for responding.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    i bought a bunch of 100 calorie snacks and stuck them in my car. now if im outta the house, i have something quick i can eat. usually it's while i'm driving to work, but lately ive taken a few and put them in my locker. no one even notices theyre "diet" snacks- theyre more focused on the oreos or chocolate chips in the name, lol
  • stormwarning
    Options
    oh and y'all gave some great advice in there, too. thanks! :)

It really helps to hear it from others. I know i need to start prepping the night before.. but it seems like by the time the kids are in bed i'm exhausted! I need to just push myself those extra 10 min. to get things set for the next day.

thanks for the reminders!
  • sandislim
    Options
    I'm starting back next week, so things are going to be really tough! Planning is the key. Plan foods, pack foods, shop early (before I run out) and make sure I'm on top of my work schedule too so I'm not falling behind due to fitness goals. I've got to pack my son's lunch box so there isn't much time for mine :( I think I'm going to have to cook double portions of everything!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You can ask your favorite restaurants to give you a nutritional rating of your food, so that you can find out how many calories each item has. Pick restaurants that roast and broil, instead of fry. Ask for dressing on the side when you order salad, and just dip your fork into it before pricking the lettuce. Pick a wrap instead of a bun when having a sandwich. And given that restaurants supersize, leave stuff on your plate.

Also look for food that is pre-washed and easy to toss into a bag. 0% yoghurt, grated baby carrots, an apple for snacking. Buy freezer bags. Easy to toss into a backpack. That will give you an alternative to vending machine chocolate bars. Carry a bottle to fill up with tap water.