Too Much Fiber!!

Options
I am new to this app, so need some help. It seems that on my vegan, gluten free diet that I am consuming about 2 to 3 x the recommended amount of fibre every single day. Wondering how to cut back on fiber when really, all I eat is veggies and fruits. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Is the fiber causing you problems?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Are you having any negative reaction to fiber? Fiber is a very important part of a diet that everyone needs, and some people have higher tolerances for high fiber than others. I would consider higher fiber than normal to be a positive in your diet as long as it is not causing any negative gastrointestinal effects (some people can get either constipation or diherrea from too much fiber in their diet, but others can handle it just fine).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The only time you need to worry about fiber is if it’s causing you issues

My personal rule of thumb is 15-20g per 1000 cal
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    Check your food diary and see which of the foods that you are eating have the higher fiber content and reduce portion or frequency. But I agree that you should be more concerned about the intake of healthy fats and protein.

I do not tolerate high fiber intake, so my setting is at 25 g/per day. Sometimes I go over, sometimes I am a bit under but as long as I don't have any GI problems I am fine with that.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,748 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about fiber as long as you're feeling fine. I eat a lot of vegetables, beans, and oatmeal and am 2-3xs above MFP minimum. I have a friend who gets at least 150g, she's my hero! In my case my blood sugar dropped most when I added additional fiber and that's including weight loss and exercise (helped too but not as fast as fiber).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I am new to this app, so need some help. It seems that on my vegan, gluten free diet that I am consuming about 2 to 3 x the recommended amount of fibre every single day. Wondering how to cut back on fiber when really, all I eat is veggies and fruits. Does anyone have any ideas?

I wish we could customize which nutrients go in the red when we exceed them. For most people, fiber is a goal, rather than a maximum. The MFP target is 25 g, but I know a lot of people here shoot for at least 50 g.

Like others have said, fiber is not a problem unless it is causing you intestinal distress.

For those seeking to increase fiber, do this gradually, or you'll be sorry ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be concerned with the fiber...I would be concerned that if all you're eating is fruits and veg then you aren't getting adequate nutrition.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I wouldn't be concerned with the fiber...I would be concerned that if all you're eating is fruits and veg then you aren't getting adequate nutrition.

This. I prefer to get about 2x the minimal and don't mind getting more either. It's only an issue if it's a dramatic increase or leading to problems in some ways.

But I also don't think only fruit and veg is a well-rounded, balanced diet and would be worried about the lack of protein and fat (unless you neglected to mention that you were eating beans and lentils and nuts and seeds and/or other sources of protein and fat.

Also concerned if you are interpreting all the goals (including protein and fat) as maximums to stay under.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Worth double checking also that you’ve not got one particular diary entry with an erroneous fibre value that is skewing your stats.
  • momnottom
    momnottom Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I am gluten intolerant and try to eat more plant based, but cannot tolerate high fiber. Any more than 25 grams a day and I'm miserable. I'm not sure if I caused permanent damage being a pastry chef for years not knowing I was gluten intolerant :p, but I am now trying to work my way into a more plant based way of eating slowly. Two days a week of plant based is about all I can do right now.