Workout Struggles

Options
So I have been counting calories since January 1st and so far lost 13lbs. Starting the last 2 weeks I add exercise to my routine. Currently I am doing 1 hour of cardio almost every day. Since I started that the scale has been a mess. I can’t seem to go below 197. Is this normal? Should I workout less? More? Help!

Replies

• amseymour2863
    amseymour2863 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also, for clarification I work at home so if I don’t go to the gym I do barley any physical activity.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,831 Member
    Options
    When you start a new workout routine, it's normal for your body to hold onto some extra water weight to help with muscle repair. That's just part of how a normal, healthy body works.

Unfortunately, even if you have fat loss continuing to happen nicely, the water weight can hide it from you on the scale until you're well settled into a new routine.

The water weight won't keep increasing and increasing, but - assuming your calorie intake is at the right level - your fat loss will outpace it after a while, and you'll start seeing your results on the scale again.

You're doing a good thing for yourself by exercising: Keep up the goodness! Unfortunately, it may make the scale results a little confusing for a few weeks. Patience is tough, but it really is the answer.

Hang in there, and best wishes for continuing good results!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Ann already said it all but... 13lb in 5-6wks is a lot to lose for someone who isn’t seriously overweight. Your profile image suggests this is not the case if it is a current picture of yourself.
    Please be careful to have realistic and sensible goals for both rate of loss and end weight goal.
  • flynntrader
    flynntrader Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    On days I work out heavily the next am it shows more weight because the body is in repair mode and there is a lot of bloat and fluid weight, and it will gradually drop over time. It’s the exercise effect.