Struggling with junk food

Hi I am in recovery from an eating disorder and I’m struggling with eating to much junk food. I’m embarrassed and I need help. Today I had two icecreams and two small chocolate bars for my snacks and dessert. Terrible isn’t it I know but I really am struggling to not eat junk food. Any tips besides don’t eat it? I know I’m not meant to eat junk food but when I’m stressed I turn to junk food more. Ashamed of myself and I have been logging meals for maintenance and most of the time I’m under maintenance kjs allowed and I have contacted a dietician so I’m waiting on a phone call back Tuesday. Does anyone else struggle with eating junk food and how has everyone else stayed away from junk food? I have an addictive nature

Replies

• ashleygroizard
    ashleygroizard Posts: 181 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I mean this in the kindest way possible. I'm not certain that being here is best while you are working with a treatment team and working on recovery. It can be very triggering for people.
    Okay you are probably right. Thank you for your honest opinion and I am going to respect your opinion and try my hardest to not post on here until after recovery. I can’t promise I won’t post but I’ll try not to okay. I’m very panicky about weightloss and weight gain and my body image and what I eat so Thank you. I will ask my treatment team how to normalise my meals and snacks. I appreciate your kindness
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I mean this in the kindest way possible. I'm not certain that being here is best while you are working with a treatment team and working on recovery. It can be very triggering for people.
    Okay you are probably right. Thank you for your honest opinion and I am going to respect your opinion and try my hardest to not post on here until after recovery. I can’t promise I won’t post but I’ll try not to okay. I’m very panicky about weightloss and weight gain and my body image and what I eat so Thank you. I will ask my treatment team how to normalise my meals and snacks. I appreciate your kindness

I do wish the best for you, but when you are already struggling with these issues, a site/app like this can feed into it and make your recovery that much harder.
  • ashleygroizard

I do wish the best for you, but when you are already struggling with these issues, a site/app like this can feed into it and make your recovery that much harder.
    Sorry I didn’t realize that. So is counting calories a good thing because I’ve been told not to count calories? I’m wondering if I should delete this app until I recover what do you think?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

Sorry I didn’t realize that. So is counting calories a good thing because I’ve been told not to count calories? I’m wondering if I should delete this app until I recover what do you think?

I think deleting may be a good idea for you at this stage. You're still early in your recovery. Work with your treatment team, follow what they say.

Wishing you all the best for a successful recovery :)
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 988 Member

this. I would definitely only look to the professionals helping you with recovery for nutrition advice.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Ashley, I second what everyone else is saying to you. At this stage in your recovery, MFP definitely can be detrimental to your recovery process.

You took the amazingly difficult step of getting yourself surrounded by a team of professionals to guide you through your personal journey to health. You really need to turn to them with any questions or concerns.

Wishing you all the luck and good health in the world, and would love to see a follow-up post from you sometime in the future, once your recovery is well-established. <3

• ashleygroizard
    I have fully recovered and gained so much weight. I am Now trying my best to lose weight again. I’m ashamed of how much weight I’ve gained but I’m not going crazy anymore which is really a relief. I went up to 92.8kg from 72.7kgs when I started atypical anorexia nervosa recovery. I have a long way to go until my goal but I’m giving myself a ten year goal which I know is a long time but hopefully I can reach my goal. I have given up alcohol atm and I am doing not to bad as I’ve come down to 91.5kgs. I realised Tuesday after talking with my doctor that I’ve gotta work at this in a healthy way so my eating disorder and thoughts don’t come back. I’m going good with portion control. Day five of not drinking alcohol after drinking everyday for the last three months and I’ve lost 1.8kgs, so I’m happy. I am doing research and giving it another go this weight loss journey I’ve just gotta figure out what works for me. I wish everyone a success for your journeys. Thank you to everyone for telling me to get help I really did need it. Sorry for the excessive messages of wanting help. I’ll try my best to keep my messages to a minimum. Atm I am abit embarrassed to share photos but maybe later I’ll upload some. Thank you for supportive messages
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I have fully recovered and gained so much weight. I am Now trying my best to lose weight again. I’m ashamed of how much weight I’ve gained but I’m not going crazy anymore which is really a relief. I went up to 92.8kg from 72.7kgs when I started atypical anorexia nervosa recovery. I have a long way to go until my goal but I’m giving myself a ten year goal which I know is a long time but hopefully I can reach my goal. I have given up alcohol atm and I am doing not to bad as I’ve come down to 91.5kgs. I realised Tuesday after talking with my doctor that I’ve gotta work at this in a healthy way so my eating disorder and thoughts don’t come back. I’m going good with portion control. Day five of not drinking alcohol after drinking everyday for the last three months and I’ve lost 1.8kgs, so I’m happy. I am doing research and giving it another go this weight loss journey I’ve just gotta figure out what works for me. I wish everyone a success for your journeys. Thank you to everyone for telling me to get help I really did need it. Sorry for the excessive messages of wanting help. I’ll try my best to keep my messages to a minimum. Atm I am abit embarrassed to share photos but maybe later I’ll upload some. Thank you for supportive messages

Does your treatment team know you're back on this website? This can be a really good tool for general use, but calorie counting websites and weight loss forums can be really triggering for people in ED recovery and you should talk it over with them. Best wishes.
  • ashleygroizard
    I have fully recovered and I am free to lose weight in a healthy way which is what I am doing. They do know I’m on a weight loss journey and they are fine with that. Thank you
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Make it as easy for yourself as you can. My suggestion would be to find out your maintenance calories and lower by 250. That does make the weight come off mighty slowly (so it can be really discouraging to see such slow progress), but you will make the transition to maintenance much easier. We all want the weight off as soon as possible, but if you want to build habits that last, or a way of eating that works for you, then try not to overcomplicate this.

Spend the time losing slowly and learning to truly love and respect your body for what it allows you to do each day. As you gain health and maybe fitness, it will do even more. You deserve nothing less :heart:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    I have fully recovered and I am free to lose weight in a healthy way which is what I am doing. They do know I’m on a weight loss journey and they are fine with that. Thank you
    I can help you with the exercise part of it IF you are willing to just abide to what I give you. No more, no less.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited January 2021
    If there is a magic pill, I think it is to track what you eat.

I too have had a problem with fast food, I frequently hit the drive through on my way home at 11pm. Logging what I eat helps change my perception of the food, the Nachos BelGrande for 750 calories just isn't as appealing and I'm more likely to skip it. I ate two chocolate bars yesterday, but after logging them I don't feel as interested in buying them next time I'm shopping.

Just be honest in your logging and your habits will start to change. And if you are under your calorie goal, enjoy the junk food without guilt. Logging your food will also help you engage the nutritionist more productively.
  • jldougherty2020
    jldougherty2020 Posts: 1 Member
    I have struggled intensely with quitting the habit of fast food. I've been using myfitnesspal for six months inconsistently because i"ve been changing my diet to diary-free and vegan with a bit of frustration and lack of cooking skill so its been quite the journey. I upgraded to premium today so I could access deeper analytics to help me have more intel so I don't continue on the path I"m on. It's a journey that's for sure. I think the best thing that helped me minimize fast food options was finding joyful similar foods to replace them with.