My protein intake is low. Does it matter?

Options
So I just restarted my fitness pal this week. I haven't been trying too hard to change my diet... Yet. I wanted to get a feel for what I was doing first.

I've noticed I am consistently high fat/carb and low protein (usually 14-16% instead of 20). Is it a big deal or should I try to get my macro percentages to match the ones suggested?

And any recommendations on how to up my protein is also appreciated.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    So I just restarted my fitness pal this week. I haven't been trying too hard to change my diet... Yet. I wanted to get a feel for what I was doing first.

I've noticed I am consistently high fat/carb and low protein (usually 14-16% instead of 20). Is it a big deal or should I try to get my macro percentages to match the ones suggested?

You should be comparing your grams of protein to the RDA for protein. The RDA for protein is a minimum for health for a more or less sedentary individual. It is recommended that people losing weight should actually eat more than the RDA to help preserve muscle mass in a catabolic state. It is also recommended that active people consume more, particularly if they're engaging in more strenuous exercise, as this breaks down muscle and protein help repair and build it back up.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,670 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I started with fats and protein. I added in some but not a lot. I upped it recently as an experiment and have made a lot of gains in my workouts, I've been increasing weights, resistance, and levels a lot faster than before.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

I find upping my protein slightly and lowering carbs slightly to be a more filling way of eating, which makes it easier for me to create a calorie deficit, so if that is true for you as well, win win.

If you're a meat eater, try upping your portions. I've seen a lot of women struggle to hit their protein target, and they are only eating 2 oz of chicken at a meal, which could easily be doubled.

For answers targeted to what you are currently eating, change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Sophi_allheart
    Sophi_allheart Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I didn't realize how important it was to hit those nutritional numbers. I will look at the RDA. I do eat meat, so I've never worried about if I was getting enough protein. Thanks for the insight in how it all works!