Starving at night.

Options
What should I do when I wake up in the middle of the night starving? I don’t eat in the evening before bed. I wake up about 3 am and can’t go back to sleep because my stomach is hurting. Such a dilemma because I want to go eat something. Any suggestions?

Replies

• estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    have light butter popcorn in your bedroom.You will be full with not many calories.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The yogurt would be good. I have a drink by the bed-sometimes tea, sometimes milk. Water--if I don't drink it, I use it for taking morning pills.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Fiber will also fill your stomach longer. So perhaps add some All Bran, Smartbran or similar to whatever sweet or savory snack you have. Also, mentally for me, once I brush my teeth at night...it's a wrap. If I was to eat again in the middle of the night, there's another 2 minutes of teeth brushing, my interdental pick, etc. Like...why? I'd rather snooze lol
  • Jimicarpenter
    Jimicarpenter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Before I go to bed I mix 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 2 tablespoons honey in a bowl mix and eat.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Save 120 calories for an ounce of cheese at bedtime.
  • Debs_1985
    Debs_1985 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I make my own ice lollies from water and sugar free diluted juice. At night when I feel the hunger I just have one of those it's enough the take the hunger away.
  • km33818
    km33818 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I definitely will eat something after dinner. I don’t like to eat dinner late because I get acid reflux and that is miserable. I like the yogurt idea or a small piece of cheese. I love milk but that doesn’t stay with me.
  • vegasgirl0825
    vegasgirl0825 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I definitely find that if I don't have either protein with my dinner or a larger calorie dinner then I am very hungry in the morning. I don't often wake up at night because of it, however. Some people I know will even have a small protein shake/smoothie in the evening as kind of a "dessert" but that protein helps to keep them full overnight. I would definitely look at what you're eating when you eat dinner to make sure it's enough.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    While there should be a little discomfort when dieting due to the calorie restricting, if you are really so hungry that you can't sleep, you probably are either eating too few of calories during they day, exercising excessively or a combination. Use a TDEE calculator to figure out approximately what your caloric burn is during the day, then back that out about 500 calories or so to get what you should be eating. For example, if you are burning 2400 calories a day, your diet should be 1900 or so. If the deficit is substantially more than that, it is probably too much.

Once you confirm the deficit is not too much, you could save some of your calories before bed so you don't go to sleep so hungry, as others have suggested. Goodluck!
  • rkmcniel
    rkmcniel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The trainer that is working with me right now says a protein shake is good if you're hungry before bedtime.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    rkmcniel wrote: »
    The trainer that is working with me right now says a protein shake is good if you're hungry before bedtime.

Just make sure you're weighing and accounting for it. Some of these can push you well over your calories, depending on what you put in it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    km33818 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I definitely will eat something after dinner. I don’t like to eat dinner late because I get acid reflux and that is miserable. I like the yogurt idea or a small piece of cheese. I love milk but that doesn’t stay with me.

That would have been helpful to know before we all suggested eating before bed.

The best thing for reflux is weight loss, but in the meantime can you use some meds to relieve your discomfort? Reflux can be doing damage to your esophagus, so you need to treat that.

My last meal is usually around 4PM and I don't wake up hungry, miserable or in pain like you said in your first post...that doesn't seem right. You should be able to go 14-16 hours easily without eating and pain is not a normal part of hunger. Maybe go to the doctor?
  • ActionRZ
    ActionRZ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Since you do get acid reflux it might be the acid that is causing stomach to hurt? I too suffer from acid reflux but I think it is more caused by stress than when I eat. Try drinking more water during the evening. Although drinking too much water right befor bedtime can cause you to wake up often.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I would go to the fridge and eat one or a few of hard boiled egg whites ..or eat some boiled shrimp..just a few pieces. and a 1/2 cup of low sugar fruit. Keep the protein to 2 ounces..so weigh it out... It will keep your metabolism going and you won't gain. I lost all my weight allowing myself what I called a P.M. snack of this natured. don't eat salty popcorn in bed.. empty calories and carbs.
  • timnsara617
    timnsara617 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too get acid reflux and don’t like to eat late. But having a small snack after dinner always helps me. Milk alone doesn’t do it for me either. If I do milk I will usually also do some ham and cheese or the yogurt works great for me. The higher the protein in the yogurt the longer it stays with me. Good luck and hope you can get though this.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    For me, a banana has always been a reflux friendly snack. (Weighed and logged, though, because a 'medium banana' can be completely inaccurate in the data base)