Why do people bring sick kids to gym daycare?!

I get it, you really want to get your workout in but it's so unkind to everyone else! Please keep your kiddos home if they are sick. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Replies

• sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    *everyone else applies to the other healthy kids, not specifically the other adult gym goers
  • sdavis484
    For real! I have to bring my kids to the gym and it gives me anxiety thinking of dealing with another round of fever, puke, or diarrhea. I feel like this year has been so bad!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    Gotta wonder who is disagreeing!

If you or your kids are sick ... stay home!!

6ambs5rp7yfj.png

1khhn7e48dsm.png

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Operating a daycare for 39 years, this was one of my biggest pet peeves of all. I know you have to go to work and maybe you don't see your child as being 'that sick' but betting anything if you felt 'that sick' you'd be home in bed, which is exactly where your own child(remember your most important precious little person in the whole wide world??) truly wants to be also. :( And exposing everyone else to a child's sickness at a gym, IMO is inexcusable. Go the eff home and do calisthenics or something. Put your child first!!!
    I remember one mom who brought her little girl into daycare with bronchitis. My own dd, 18 mo at the time, ended up in the ER with bronchiolitis and severe dehydration because she'd been exposed, ended up admitted to the hospital for a couple days. The mom visited me while my dd was in the ER and actually had the gall to ask me if I'd be going home to reopen daycare soon.
    Oh yeh, don't get me started on my tales of woe. :/
  • ReenieHJ
    And I don't really think qualifications has as much to do with any of this as putting your child first in your life. I'm CPR and First Aid certified. It's all about the child's comfort and exposing everyone else unnecessarily.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Gotta wonder who is disagreeing!

If you or your kids are sick ... stay home!!

6ambs5rp7yfj.png

1khhn7e48dsm.png

That is all nice in theory and I agree stay away from "optional" activities when sick. Bottom line though is a number of people in the workforce don't have paid sick days and staying home for the 7-10 days (or even the 2-3 days of the worst symptoms) for a cold to run its course is not an option.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    The thing is, it's not just children to daycare, though. I was in a restaurant yesterday and this couple came in, sat at the table next to us and the man started coughing and sneezing all over the place. I just wanted to tell him to go home and stop spreading whatever he has around. Then his daughter and grandchildren turned up - it was the little boy's birthday - and the daughter told her son to "stop harassing Grampy as he's not well"! So do the birthday thing at home . . . and postpone going out until you're all well and can enjoy it!

ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I remember one mom who brought her little girl into daycare with bronchitis. My own dd, 18 mo at the time, ended up in the ER with bronchiolitis and severe dehydration because she'd been exposed, ended up admitted to the hospital for a couple days. The mom visited me while my dd was in the ER and actually had the gall to ask me if I'd be going home to reopen daycare soon.

I really feel for you on this. My daughter, who was in nursery at the time, brought a bug home with her. She passed this onto my 3-month old son who developed bronchiolitis. He was in hospital for a week and I really thought that he was going to die. Didn't get much sleep that week! He's now a strapping 16-year old almost-6' tall monster but still has some minor issues around the damage done to his airways through the illness (even though we were told that it wouldn't affect him over the long term). Hasn't stopped him doing anything though - he runs with me, cycles with me and goes kayaking with his sea cadet unit.

• ReenieHJ
    The thing is, it's not just children to daycare, though. I was in a restaurant yesterday and this couple came in, sat at the table next to us and the man started coughing and sneezing all over the place. I just wanted to tell him to go home and stop spreading whatever he has around. Then his daughter and grandchildren turned up - it was the little boy's birthday - and the daughter told her son to "stop harassing Grampy as he's not well"! So do the birthday thing at home . . . and postpone going out until you're all well and can enjoy it!

ReenieHJ wrote: »

I really feel for you on this. My daughter, who was in nursery at the time, brought a bug home with her. She passed this onto my 3-month old son who developed bronchiolitis. He was in hospital for a week and I really thought that he was going to die. Didn't get much sleep that week! He's now a strapping 16-year old almost-6' tall monster but still has some minor issues around the damage done to his airways through the illness (even though we were told that it wouldn't affect him over the long term). Hasn't stopped him doing anything though - he runs with me, cycles with me and goes kayaking with his sea cadet unit.

Oh my :( Glad he got well but sorry he still has residual damage. :(

I remember way back before the chicken pox vaccine was a thing and one of the kiddos in my care came down with it. Back then, most parents weren't bothered at all if their child got it; get it over and done with KWIM? But I called the other parents just to give them a head's-up and 1 mom thanked me for letting her know because on her days off, she cared for someone undergoing leukemia treatments. She chose not to come and be exposed.
    You just never know who you're going to make sick and how they're going to respond to that illness. :( I know being out in public every day can be risky as far as picking up germs but why go and purposely expose others, especially when you don't have to.
    And I'm going to just agree to disagree with others who pointed out that parents probably don't have a choice when they need to go to work. I've seen too much in my job. :/
  • sdavis484
    edited February 2020
    I also wonder who could possibly be disagreeing with this sentiment. Perhaps the ones disagreeing are the ones that feel uncomfortable and guilty bc they bring their sick kids to gym daycare.....???