Binging

Hi, I'm trying to lose 16lbs, however I'm having a problem with binging! I'll go a few days perfectly fine, then the next I'll have a "mini binge " where I'll eat 600 - 800 calories OVER my calorie goal (1,300). I'm 136lbs and 5'4. Does anyone know any tips on how to stop this?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    What rate of loss have you chosen for yourself? With only 16lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 0.5lbs per week, if you've set it higher you could just be making yourself extremely hungry. Also check you have the correct activity level set for yourself and you should be eating at least some of any calories added for intentional exercise you do

Other than that play around with your macros to make sure what you're eating is making you feel full, ensuring you're getting adequate protein, fat & fibre is a good starting point.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    I agree with tinkerbell. Set your Goal to "lose 1/2 pound per week." Set your Activity Level as accurately as you can. If you have any kind of job, go to school or care for children at home don't choose Sedentary.

Also, maybe think about getting some purposeful exercise if you haven't been doing so. It helps with hunger and on this site when you exercise, enter it into the Exercise tab and then you get to eat more. Win/win.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Are you binging on anything specific? Sometimes your body craves something it needs.
  • tufntender
    tufntender Posts: 98 Member
    I can totally relate. I do great during the week, I have Saturday as my " relaxed " day". First couple of weeks I did fine. The week before last I felt so boxed in, yet, I had some General Tsao Chicken, I ate on it 3 times. It may have or not have been in my calorie limit. Weekdays, all good. So, this past Saturday, Idk what happened. I am embarrassed to say, I had a 2 egg omelet with mushrooms and spinach and shrimp, quite delicious. I then fixed myself Shrimp Scampi, (probably) 800 Cal, but after that, I had 4 ( four) slices of Louisiana crunch cake, which I had frozen, Dammit, what do I do> What do you do?
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Fasting helps me control my calories, maybe even reserve times of day you are allowed to eat
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,423 Member
    Well, someone wanted to friend me a couple of days ago just because my diary showed I eat over 900 calories in snacks a day. I was kinda shocked. I never really thought about it like that, because I eat almost the same snacks every day at the same times.

They’re not “snacks”. I like to think of them as “keep me satisfied enough to get me to the next meal oral participation rewards.”

Build in some filling bites during the day to carry you along. It really does help.

Hot drinks fill me up for some reason, even mugs of hot broth.

High protein staves off hunger for me, although YMMV on that one.

Also check the Volume Eaters thread. That was one of the most helpful threads to me. Learning to make giant plates of lo-cal foods fools my eyes and stomach into thinking I’m feasting. Like today’s lunch is a whole bag of spring mix, a quarter bag of spinach, topped with last night’s homemade fajita leftovers. It’ll fill a mixing bowl (which I have to hand carry to my volunteer gig, to the amusement of locals), and will take me half an hour just to eat it, and it’s under 400 calories.