Runners vs. Trainers

Options
I'm going to buy myself some new shoes today! I'm pretty stoked on that, but I don't know what to buy. I was looking at shoes on the interweb last night and noticed that there are running shoes and cross trainers. I decided to research the difference, and basically learned that runners are more supportive for forward movements, cushoning on impact, etc., whereas trainers give you good support overall. BASICALLY, my question is: I want a shoe that I can wear to the gym and do my FULL workout in - cardio, strength training, etc. Therefore, I should go with a trainer, right? And LADIES, any (cute) suggestions? (Yes, I am a girl, and yes, I would like if they were cute shoes haha).

Also, is it a bad idea to wear the shoes you have designated for the gym outdoors? I do a lot of walking/running outdoors right now as the weather is still nice, but I can guarantee within the next couple months I'll be heading indoors for the season.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mlcaram
    mlcaram Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're serious about running longer distances then you should get running shoes. Running shoes can be used when doing cardio/strength training/etc., but trainers aren't very great to run in. If you're doing quick jogs or a mile here or there then trainers should be fine.
  • Sbottoms
    Options
    Hello!

You should go to a running specific store and get properly "fitted" for your running shoes. They come in so many styles and comforts and focus on different areas of one's foot. These types of stores will watch and analyze how your feet hit the ground when you run/walk and tell you exactly what kind of shoe will work best for you.
    Unfortunately, you should never pick a running shoe for fashion...Only for a correct fit. (I know, that is hard to digest!!)

Also, only wear your running shoes to run. It is not recommended to use running shoes as your everyday shoes as your feet hit the ground differently when doing other types of activities and you can break them down.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
  • jen31889
    Options
    Hello!

You should go to a running specific store and get properly "fitted" for your running shoes. They come in so many styles and comforts and focus on different areas of one's foot. These types of stores will watch and analyze how your feet hit the ground when you run/walk and tell you exactly what kind of shoe will work best for you.
    Unfortunately, you should never pick a running shoe for fashion...Only for a correct fit. (I know, that is hard to digest!!)

Also, only wear your running shoes to run. It is not recommended to use running shoes as your everyday shoes as your feet hit the ground differently when doing other types of activities and you can break them down.

I've been thinking about getting fitted for a running shoe. I'm afraid to go to a specialized store because I think the shoes will be over $100. Are they typically high pressure in small, specialized stores like that?
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've been thinking about getting fitted for a running shoe. I'm afraid to go to a specialized store because I think the shoes will be over $100. Are they typically high pressure in small, specialized stores like that?

Most GOOD stores won't be high pressure. Although its generally better to spend the $$ and get good shoes that fit your gait well than have injury issues later on that could cost you even more $$ and time spent not training.

Most stores will fit you for free, and you don't necessarily have to buy your shoes there. I know people who have been fit, found out what issues they have and then found the shoe they need on the internet for a lesser price.

Its up to you really but I do like to support my local stores as I appreciate their service.
  • Sbottoms
    Options
    You may pay a little bit more, but like the previous post, it is well worth it for the specialized care and concern you will receive.

I have never dealt with pressure issues at these stores, they generally want to help as many people as they can and realize the shoes are expensive.

You can certainly get fitted and then probably buy your shoes elsewhere or online, but the "box stores" will most likely not have the better variety of running shoes.

I also like to support the local economy...
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There's lots of considerarions and as already mentioned getting your gait checked for running is essential.

I know you probably dont have money to burn but if you can get a pair for gym work and a pair for running. They will last longer - by "resting" between sessions, overall and it will stop you from having to compromise on the type of shoe.

Another consideration is the type of running you do, trail running, road running etc.

You might even consider moving to barefoot / minimalist running. It's not ACTUAL barefoot but the shoes are minimalist and the general consensus is that you are less likely to get injured. I don't actually do barefoot running myself but I know a few people who do. Here's an article http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/the-barefoot-running-debate-is-less-more-preview/6290.html
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options

The couple of running shoe stores that I have been to where they tested my gait on a treadmill were pretty low pressure. They suggested 3 or 4 shoes and let me try them out (even running outdoors). The prices were similar to stores in the mall. I didn't pay over $100 for my first "fitted" running shoes. Often times you can just go get the free analysis to figure out how you run then go get your shoes elsewhere if that store isn't competitively priced.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be a regular runner I'd definitely get both. Running is my main activity, so I have two pairs of running shoes on the go at any one time.

When I added more gym work, classes and DVDs, I found wearing my running shoes made my feet go numb and my joints ache because they give no support for lateral movements (think jumping jacks and dance moves) so I got a pair of cross trainers too. Now my feet love me!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    I went to a store and had them check if I pronate or under pronate when I run. Once I got that, I went on line and google shoes for my type of running. I ended up getting some New Balance for $50 on sale. They've been fine.

I also have regular training shoes and "heavy lifting" shoes. Personally because I wear specific shoes, I honestly believe it's spared my joints and I'm still able to do the lifts and plyometrics I involve in my workouts.
  • baileybutton
    baileybutton Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I really don't run a lot...I'm talking like, beginners running (when I walk, I walk for a while, then run for a bit, then walk, etc.). No 5ks for me or anything like that. Which is why I'm leaning towards a trainer. Also, I definitely don't have the money for both...especially seeing as most of them are going to be around $100, if not more.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the right choice. I ran in cross-trainers for the first year until I got serious.
  • baileybutton
    baileybutton Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Perfect, thank you guys!