Breastfeeding & weight loss & calorie cycling

Options
So I put my settings to lose .5 lb per week since I'm breastfeeding I don't want to lose to my supply (I'm a 3rd time mom that thankfully has never had a milk supply issue!) So it gave me 1840 daily calories, so at first I added 500 extra to that & I started gaining weight. So I just took the extra 500 off & now I'm losing weight! woo! Everything has been going good, but I was curious about calorie cycling. I've been reading on it & it said it's good to help with your metabolism. Also 1x a week to eat over your calories so your body doesn't adjust to it & I stop losing weight? Any suggestions? I'm just paranoid about hitting a plateau! Lol thx!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am also breastfeeding my third baby (5 months) although I'm maintaining right now.

I suppose if you are eating in a small deficit some days and maintenance on the other days, or bank a few calories from each day to have extra one day in the weekend should be good.. as long as you aren't going too low on any one day it should be fine.

When I calorie cycle I do two really low days, three maintenance and two surplus days. However since I'm nursing I try not to make any severe changes in my intake. That works best for me. I will eat more on weekends but that is just how I like to naturally eat. (I don't track but watch my weight and make sure my supply doesn't drop)

I wouldn't be paranoid about things that aren't happening yet. Usually if someone hits a plateau it's because they are eating too much, overestimating their exercise burns or retaining water.