Really hungry - minimal calories to spare

Options
SuperMotivated56
SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
edited February 2020 in Motivation and Support
Would you like to share what strategies you have found work for you, when you’re really hungry and have minimal calories to spare?

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If I think that I am really hungry I first try to establish if I am "hungry" or "thirsty". Usually a good cuppa does the trick. If I feel hungry outside of my normal meal times, I double check that I have eaten enough protein.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Firstly I would check that the calorie goal I’m trying to meet isn’t unnecessarily and unsustainably low. Choose a realistic rate of loss for your current body size and be patient. 0.5lb/wk is a good rate of loss.

If still hungry at those calories, you can look at switching some food types for more satiating options - a massive bowl of stir fried veg will fill you up more than a few squares of chocolate would for the same calories. Some people find a higher % of protein in each meal keeps them full for longer but everyone is different so play around with this.
    Also check out the volume eaters thread for inspiration of other satisfying meal options.
  • abigail7aylor
    abigail7aylor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    broth. Chicken, beef, vegetable... It doesn't matter lol. To make it like more of a soup, as some veggies and other things if you want.
    I like to add shirataki noodles, mushrooms, chives, garlic, lime juice, and sriracha. Ratchet ramen for about 40 cals 😁
  • djwinch
    djwinch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used to be quite hungry regularly sticking to my targets. I ended up doing pretty much what sarabushby said, rather than cooking up what might sound the nicer meal, packing out my meals with loads of veg which don't hit the calories so much but do a great job of make you feel full. It's very rare I feel hungry now.
  • estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    light butter popcorn
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I kind of like the idea of volume eating so I've been trying to increase my veggies daily. Last night for dinner I had a whole tray filled with roasted carrots, brussel sprouts and parsnips. I'm always hungry again by 7:00 p.m. but last night having a 40 cal. fudge pop was enough for me.
    So I guess my suggestion would be to include lots more veggies(or other lower end calorie foods) through out your day? Then pick something light before bed, such as rice cakes, veggies, a piece of fruit, the popcorn or broth as was suggested.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and broccoli.

• vegasgirl0825
    vegasgirl0825 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Every couple weeks I make a big pot of cabbage/veggie soup. It's about 50 calories/cup and so good. It helps when I feel like I just need something to get me through. Here's a link, but there are others that are similar out there. I know it says it's Weight Watchers and I honestly learned about the soup about 17 years ago when I was doing WW. I don't follow that program any longer but love the soup! https://www.food.com/recipe/ww-0-point-weight-watchers-cabbage-soup-128956
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for sharing what has worked for you. And for the recipe too - will definitely try that! 🍲
    I’m so close to my goal and just can’t seem to get there and the hunger isn’t helping (especially later in the day). I’m going to see how the bulking with veggies helps. 🥦🥕🥬
  • keshaldra
    keshaldra Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Seconding the broth/cabbage stew suggestions. It helps with the hunger pangs....only for like an hour or so, but if it's 9pm and you just need something to help you make it to bedtime, it's perfect.
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Inusually try a cup of tea with splenda or a cup of broth. If that doesnt work, I will eat a packet of instant oatmeal or instant grits. They are around 150calories, depending on the variety, and really filling.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Blueberries!!!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs