Looking for a protein source to replace eggs?

Options
Currently, i'm eating 3 slices of whole grain bread, 1tbsp peanut butter, 3 whole medium eggs and 0.5c egg whites. I wanna replace the eggs with something just as simple but avoid any fish/beef/pork or dairy. so far everything i find is yogurt with fruit or granola of some kind with milk and am already eating chicken/turkey in my other 3 meals. Any suggestions?

Replies

• katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hemp hearts have a fair amount of protein. You can try that with some edamame or seaweed and quinoa instead of the bread. Quinoa has the highest amount of protein of other grains. Im a vegetarian. My nutritionist told me that if you combine food sources that way, you have "a complete protein" because a vegetable protein may not have all the nutrients that a food source like chicken would. Then if you have some cheese, you get more protein too just like the eggs
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you are going the yogurt route, buy a large tub of Fage Greek yogurt with no fruit syrup. I like the 2%, rich and creamy. Add either fresh berries, or mic up a cup of frozen wild blueberries. Add on some chopped almonds and good quality oatmeal (like steel cut, not the quick oats). Finish off with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Tons of protein (20g in Greek yogurt), antioxidants, hardly any sugar and it tastes like a sundae.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Scrambled tofu.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I know you said you're already eating turkey at other meals, but turkey bacon is a good option. I agree with scrambled tofu as well.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
  • ssorg9
    ssorg9 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Beans are a great source if protein. I find that they help you stay full for awhile.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Not a perfect replacement, but the pseudo grain quinoa is actually a full protein. It has about 8 g of protein per cup. You can just cook it like rice and make enough for a whole week all in one go, and maybe use it to replace 1 egg's worth in your diet somewhere, if you eat it with other foods, as a possibility.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Currently, i'm eating 3 slices of whole grain bread, 1tbsp peanut butter, 3 whole medium eggs and 0.5c egg whites. I wanna replace the eggs with something just as simple but avoid any fish/beef/pork or dairy. so far everything i find is yogurt with fruit or granola of some kind with milk and am already eating chicken/turkey in my other 3 meals. Any suggestions?

As eggs/fish/beef/pork/dairy are the simplest way to get protein, I too am wondering what is the impetus behind wanting to replace eggs?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Perhaps just more egg whites? If you're into protein powders, then that's an option too.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Egg substitutes, if you’re having a problem with real eggs
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful if OP would explain what his goals are.

I personally don't want animal products at all three meals, but if that's OP's issue he should explain and also tell us breakfast preferences and protein needs.