Intermittant fasting?

Options
How effective is it? do you use an app? what is the easiest way to "ease into" intermittent fasting, especially if one's schedule varies somewhat?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    It helps if sticking to a restricted 'eating window' enables you to more easily stay within your calorie allowance, there are no weight loss benefits beyond that.

Easiest way is to just push breakfast out a little further, then a little further, and so on until you're at whatever you want your eating window to be.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I did it for a month. I liked it. I like having moat of my calories available in the evening. But now I'm trying slowy loss slowly, so have decided to reintroduce breakfast. Been a bit up and down the last week or so. Kinda prefer the IF atm but giving it a month

Just gotta do what suits you. Its useful but not a silver bullet
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    These guys tried IF for a month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntVykcueZE8
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    For some people it makes keeping a calorie deficit easier, for some it does not.

I'm currently doing it (eating earlier, as it makes my evenings less stressful on weekdays and is making it easier to cut cals a bit) and liking it, but it fits well with my schedule (I can eat whenever on the weekends and if I go out we tend to eat early before a play or concert). If it conflicted with my schedule it would not work.

There are tons of apps but they seem pretty unnecessary to me -- just pick when you plan to eat. I don't snack so for me it's less about a window as when I plan to have my meals.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    For some people it makes keeping a calorie deficit easier, for some it does not.

I'm currently doing it (eating earlier, as it makes my evenings less stressful on weekdays and is making it easier to cut cals a bit) and liking it, but it fits well with my schedule (I can eat whenever on the weekends and if I go out we tend to eat early before a play or concert). If it conflicted with my schedule it would not work.

There are tons of apps but they seem pretty unnecessary to me -- just pick when you plan to eat. I don't snack so for me it's less about a window as when I plan to have my meals.

lemurcat said exactly what I would say. It helps me to control calories. For that it can be effective.

Any eating style has to align with your preferences IF does with mine as I prefer 2 substantial meals. I have no interest in snacks.

I can't imagine why anyone would require an app to just eat one less meal. There are some who believe the meal timing is critical and somehow makes some kind difference but I've read all the research I can get my hands on and I've never seen evidence for that.

Based on my schedule, my timing varies. Sometimes it is from 1pm til about 8pm. Some days I have rehearsals (musician) late afternoon/early evening so I shift things to a 10AM to 4PM window. Results are the same.
  • GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you do want an app I like “Zero” - you can choose your goal or just customize. I liked it to look at the trends to see my average after several weeks was 17 hrs, so now that’s kinda my goal. But I shift, flex, or skip as needed which I like and find IF very flexible!