New, possible WW deserter

Options
Hey all! I used Weight Watchers a few years ago and managed to lose 30 pounds. Due to crappy life things & me using them as an excuse, I dropped WW and gained nearly all of the weight back in 2 years. Start of December last year I rejoined WW and I've lost 12 pounds at this point. But I'm actually considering cancelling because I feel like I got a nice brain reset and am now eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. instead of reaching for processed stuff regularly. And my promo period will be over & it will be $20/month. I might take the free month they usually offer if you want to cancel and use it to double track points and calories just out of curiosity.

Anyway, long-winded hello!

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to pay money for a proprietary points system when you can get the real macro/calorie scoop here for free. I tried WW once and it just didn't give me the information I was looking for. I was very skeptical of "free" points. Once I found an online calorie database, (this was many years ago) I calculated that WW was giving me about 800 calories per day. No wonder I hated it lol.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I did WW in the past too. A transition period of tracking both points and calories might be helpful. When I started tracking calories instead I found it a little more daunting at first, but now it's routine. I also like that the MFP food database is so large so I rarely need to enter a new food.
    If you have meals or recipes that you use often I recommend creating them in the MFP Meals and Recipes section since that will also make logging and figuring out portions much easier.
  • jeraldt6
    jeraldt6 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Similar story. WW a long time ago, quit, gain weight. Yo-yo diets since. I was very tempted last year to go back to WW but like mentioned above, the tools here on MFP are free and with the help of great sites like livestrong and healthline, I learned more about nutrition than I ever did at WW. I bought a membership at a high end gym and am well on my way to meeting my goals. Add me as a friend if you like, I only have a few and I think we are all motivating each other.
  • returntofeelinggood
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight with weight watchers around 7 years ago. I haven't put it all back on but regained around half after having kids. I rejoined for a while and then realised that it was the tracking that helped me rather than anything I was paying ww for. So in fact mfp is just as effective. Being mindful of what is going in and out of my body is the key and mfp is free! Good luck x
  • kniteuse
    kniteuse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I m in your club lol