where do you like to exercise - gym, home etc and why?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I prefer the gym because they have more toys and it's a designated workout space.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I can't go to my gym right now and like exercising at home because I feel less distracted and like the privacy.

Curious about what other people prefer and for what reasons or benefits it may provide fitness-wise

I prefer outside, mostly walking. The other exercise I get I have to go to a fitness center because I like water aerobics and swimming laps so I need a pool.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I prefer my home gym. Right now it's not ideal we are in a temporary home and it's all kind of a mess with equipment all over the place and very limited space... but normally I love it. I love working out on my own, I'm able to play my music out loud, dance between sets, play around with silly exercise moves, I don't have to wait for equipment. Plus it's convenient especially when I have all the kids home. They can be a bit of a distraction but sometimes my daughter motivates me "one more Mommy you can do it!" it's so cute.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    At home where I have all the gear I need that I don't have to share or wait 4.

I have a full gym membership paid 4 by my medical insurance carrier under the Silver Sneakers program but the only reason that I go 2 the gym is to use the ehirlpool, steam room &/or sauna.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    My home, which pretty much doubles as a gym. We've got a WaterRower, incline treadmill, recumbent bike, bands, dumbbells and weight bench, and more TVs and tablet screens than you can shake a stick at to keep us occupied and entertained. In fact there's a risk of us becoming hermits ...
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Gym. They have the equipment I need. I live in an apartment so there’s no way I’d be able to fit (or afford) all of the lifting materials I need. I would love a home gym but idk if I would use it. There’s something about always having access that makes me lazy. Although, I would love to own a stationary or spin bike or elliptical machine. But I don’t have the money or energy to try to get it into my top floor apartment.

I also go to a pole dance studio. I have a home pole but it’s not up. It’s not worth the work of me putting something up that I’m not going to use. I prefer being in a studio jamming with everyone. It’s inspiring to see everyone learning and feeding off of each other.
  • BradOWGolf
    BradOWGolf Posts: 13 Member
    Home. Treadmill and weights are paid for; I can pick the music and the volume level; no commute time. I do miss pool time though... swimming is one of my favorite exercises.
  • kriswolfram1
    kriswolfram1 Posts: 2 Member
    I mix if up. If the weather is bad I go to Orange Theory or Planet Fitness. Otherwise I am on my bike. It’s personal preference so do what works for you.
  • Michelledownunder
    Michelledownunder Posts: 24 Member
    Outside- for me it's cycling to work. It doesn't take any longer than driving, and I always do it twice a day, as there's no public transport so once I'm there, it's the only way I'm getting home.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Outside - cycling, or at home on my zwift setup. We have a few weights too. I have a gym membership but only go rarely. I keep on meaning to cancel it.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    Combination. I do strength exercises and use a yoga app at home daily. Every other day I go to the gym for weights and currently am using the stair treadmill. On opposite days I use an exercise bike or use an elliptical at a relative's gym. If I'm working out with others I prefer walking, hiking, or biking.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    I prefer to exercise outside. The benefit it gives me is that I'm much more likely to exercise when it's something I enjoy and I enjoy running outside much more than running on a treadmill.

I hear that a lot from other runners about running outside. Changes in the terrain like cracks in the sidewalk or navigating a crowd is disruption, I don't like the changes in my heart rate. I like the controlled workout on a treadmill, as boring as it is
  • katarina005
    Danp wrote: »
    I like to exercise however and wherever my mood takes me. I realised long ago that I can't force myself to do a workout if I won't enjoy it and have given up trying.

My solution is to have a number of activities that I can do, running, cycling, swimming, lifting, hiking, calisthenic etc. Chances are I'll be in the mood to do at least one of them and that's what I'll do. The aim is to stay active and any/all of those activities achieves that goal.

Thats a good plan..have many options. I do beachbody at home and I like that over the classes at the gym. I haven't been to many of the parks near me, but hiking or trail running is an option
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Mostly the gym. I am a SAHM... and my sanity hinges on being able to get out the house and workout.
  • katarina005
    I prefer to workout at home as I never have to wait for weights, machines etc, don't have to travel, and don't need to arrange care for my kids. Also I can pull up like a total slob (in pjs sometimes, cuz who cares) and don't feel self conscious.

Yes, dont have to wait for anything and no creepy guys trying to pick you up! If I had a treadmill I wouldn't go, and I live alone so no disruptions for me either.
  • katarina005
    slade51 wrote: »
    Walk or bike outside is my preference when weather permits, but the gym for an all-around workout 2-3 times a week.

Im fortunate to be 5 minutes from the beach here in a warm climate, so its favorable year round. I can do both go to gym and outside. Breaking it up is a good routine
  • NigelWickenden
    NigelWickenden Posts: 2 Member
    I went to a gym for three years. 2-4 times a week HIIT rowing machine, 30 seconds flat out, breath back, 30 seconds, breath back 30 seconds. One session of strength training doing 10 different exercises.

Decided the length of time in the gym was not worth the £150 per year. I had some small dumbbells in the garage, bought some 8 + 10 Kg kettlebells and 10.5 Kg dumbbells.

Started bodyweight January 3rd. I could not do one proper press up! So I went to my knees. Dips between chairs hard too. Bent my legs close to right angles. I was OK with sit ups & squats.

I have just done 5 sets of 10 dips, sit ups, press ups and squats as above. Resting pulse is 41 with blood pressure 117/72. Pulse topped out at 110 when I was exercising.

I intend to move on to straight leg dips and press ups next month. When I'm happy, I will start jogging and using the bits & bobs in the garage. I also walk the mile to town 5 days a week with a rucksack to do the shopping.
  • katarina005
    lgfrie wrote: »
    My home, which pretty much doubles as a gym. We've got a WaterRower, incline treadmill, recumbent bike, bands, dumbbells and weight bench, and more TVs and tablet screens than you can shake a stick at to keep us occupied and entertained. In fact there's a risk of us becoming hermits ...

Wish I had that setup! The convenience is great. I admit I don't like using the showers at the gym either.
  • NigelWickenden
    NigelWickenden Posts: 2 Member
    PS. Weight from 217lbs to 208lbs since January 3rd on LCHF with too many treats of wine & chocolate.

Note to self:- Cut out the wine for w while!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Trails and the outdoors because I feel like a kid playing in the woods intead of an adult performing exercise...it's why I run! But I do love a good powerlifting session in the gym, too.