Desperate in TX

Options
It is my understanding, according to MFP, that I should eat back my exercise calories. That said, if my caloric intake is set to 1200 and I burn 400 through exercise, in theory I should eat 1600 calories that day. There are some days I achieve that, some days I go over, but for the most part I am under. That said, shouldn't I be losing something?

I have been stagnant ever since I stated MFP. I am almost at my breaking point here and just throw up my hands and say WTF. I have been doing all the "right" things but apparently am doing them wrong. I eat healthy (for the most part), watch portions and exercise at least 5 days a week, usually 6. My diary is open if anyone cares to look.

The way I used to lose weight was by skipping breakfast, barely eating much lunch or dinner (with an occasional splurge here and there) and exercising 3-4 days a week. I also used to smoke.

I have about 20lbs I would love to lose but will settle for just 10. What gives???

Replies

• AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Since I want to lose weiht, I never eat ALL of my exercise cals back. I sometimes eat some of them back but usually I wind up with about 300-600 cals left over on heavy exercise days. Once I hit a weight I am good with, I will eat more to maintain it and not continue losing weight. I drink loads of water to curb the hunger and eat every couple of hours all day pretty much, I also try NOT to eat after 7 - 8 p.m. Good luck in the journey!
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing your exercise routine up a little?
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, first of all. In looking over your diary, in my opinion, it's not too bad. Maybe you should track your sodium intake, maybe swap out the fiber tracking (but do keep an eye on how much fiber you do consume). And maybe switch to more healthy options, instead of queso or pizza for lunch. Be conscious and make healthier choices, and it'll work. You'll see. :smile:
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i can only speak for myself so here goes - i had lost about 23 pounds when i started MFP and at that time I was eating under 1200 calories a day and exercising 5-6 days a week and I WAS LOSING WEIGHT! After I started MFP and eating back my exercise calories (something i wasn't doing before), my weight loss dropped off significantly. I didn't gain, but I would only lose about 2 pounds per month. My advice is don't eat back your exercise calories if you want to lose weight quicker but eat them back if you want to maintain. GOOD LUCK IN TX!!! :wink:
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't own a HRM so I find it difficult to know exactly how many cals I'm burning. Added to that I can't always know the exact portions of my meals so to make up for all of that I don't eat back all of my exercise calories. Most, yes, but not all. Also, try tracking your sodium. I took a peek at your diary and some foods are really high in sodium. You might be suprised. Good luck!
  • Gables59
    Options
    I'm new to weight watching, but I'm trying to eliminate white flour and sugar from my diet, as well as dairy (cheese mostly). I'm staying away from processed foods as much as I can, and it's helping me. Are you eating enough fresh vegetables?
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing your exercise routine up a little?

Yes, I do different exercise workouts, treadmill, elliptical. Not sure how else I can change it.
    And maybe switch to more healthy options, instead of queso or pizza for lunch. Be conscious and make healthier choices,

I usually let lunch be my splurge meal as I take care of my elderly folks and eat whatever they want but your right.
  • CGSW4
    CGSW4 Posts: 12
    Options
    Looking at your diary for yesterday shows approx 16% protein, 37% fat and 46% carb (assumed protein 4cal /g, fat 9cal/g and carb 4cal / gram). would sugguest trying to get the fat % in your diet to less than 20% and up the protein and the carb. I guess the carb / protein % you could adjust depending whether you are doing a lot of running.
    I was trying to restrict myself to c 1,200 calories per day, but doing lots of exercise. Try to eat ever few hours, eat more in the moring and don't eat after say 7pm - unless its just a minor snack
    On your calorie deficit which is c 369 calories in 10 days this will theoretically give a weight loss of 1 lb in weight (ie 3,500 calories = 1 lb)
    Hope this helps
  • kel7298
    Options
    Looking at your diary for yesterday shows approx 16% protein, 37% fat and 46% carb (assumed protein 4cal /g, fat 9cal/g and carb 4cal / gram). would sugguest trying to get the fat % in your diet to less than 20% and up the protein and the carb. I guess the carb / protein % you could adjust depending whether you are doing a lot of running.
    I was trying to restrict myself to c 1,200 calories per day, but doing lots of exercise. Try to eat ever few hours, eat more in the moring and don't eat after say 7pm - unless its just a minor snack
    On your calorie deficit which is c 369 calories in 10 days this will theoretically give a weight loss of 1 lb in weight (ie 3,500 calories = 1 lb)
    Hope this helps
    [/qote]

thank you
  • kel7298
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.

I have never had to watch my sodium before so I thought it was a non issue.

I suppose if I really wanted to lose the weight I would try harder. Maybe that is the answer.