where do you like to exercise - gym, home etc and why?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    A variety.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2020
    I like to work out at home because I like the privacy, I don't have to feel self conscious about anything, I can wear whatever I want, I can work out barefoot, and I don't have to share equipment with anyone or wait for anyone else to finish using something. I also can take videos of myself to see my form without feeling like a total weirdo haha

That said right now, I am doing cardio at the gym because I'm using my lunch hour and I like it a lot. But I go to a planet fitness which is pretty big and I never have a problem finding a treadmill..
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,819 Member
    When I started my weightloss/fitness journey I needed the discipline of stopping at the gym on my way home from work. It made me view it as something I did, and not a choice I had to make every single day.

Now that I am a few years into this lifestyle, and retired, I enjoy being able to choose what activity I do every day. For example, its sunny today and not super cold so I'm choosing to go for a xcountry ski this afternoon, and then I have a yoga class this evening. Instead of an annual pass at the gym, I now have a punch card, which I use during the shoulder season when the snow is too poor for skiing, the roads aren't really clear enough to run, and the ice isn't off the lake for paddling. I also have a spin class punch card that I use during that time.

For me, at this time in my life, I'd much rather do my cardio outside and I have a few weights and resistance bands at home. But I think it can also depend on where you are in your journey, and what your goals are.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I exercise at home and outdoors when I can.

I have a nice setup at home and I everything I need (weights, resistance bands, workout dvd's, a Pilates Reformer, a Bosu ball, mini-stair stepper, kettlebells etc.) and I'm always adding things. I love the privacy, I have tons of variety, I like knowing that I'm the only one that uses my things and the convenience factor is awesome.

Outdoors is great to get my walks in year round and I also do body weight work and play sports and do hill runs in the spring/summer.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I would rather "play" outside. Second choice is dancing or HIIT in my living room TV via Chromecast
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    I just started going to the gym and it's a little scary because of my anxiety but it's way better then working out at home.
    Reason
    1. No distractions they offer kid care so I don't have worry about my daughter
    2. Free classes with my membership which range from yoga to boxing spin Zumba etc
    3. Weights and equipment I don't have.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I like to exercise everywhere. I have some equipment at home so that I can exercise daily without needing to go to the gym. I like to work out at a gym 3 days because they have more equipment, training, and classes. I like to hike and go for walks. Next spring I plan to buy a bike.

They gym doesn't intimidate me. I don't care that I am a beginner level and I have a decent journey ahead of me to improve my fitness. I pay to be there so the experienced people can suck a lemon if anything I am doing bothers them. They started as beginners too.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    I’m lucky to have the best of all worlds. We are empty nesters, so one extra bedroom is designated as the “yoga room”. We had hardwood flooring installed on one wall. I can kick it, put my hands all over it and do anything and it doesn’t mar. I do my morning stretch there. I don’t workout at home otherwise, because I am too easily distracted.

We have a terrific yoga studio and a world class barbell gym within a half mile walk and I belong to both. My bargain with myself was, I could only join if I walked to them and now it’s a habit to walk there several times a day.

We are adjacent to a lovely, 100+ mile paved walk/bike trail and a beautiful but very hilly National Cemetery for more demanding walking, both a quarter mile away and both seldom used so I get them almost all to myself.

I retired fat, sedentary and disinterested. I think Fate stepped in and gifted me these opportunities just to see what I’d do with them. I am so grateful. Thanks, Fate!
  • sassysmom35
    sassysmom35 Posts: 130 Member
    Anywhere except home basically. My house is tiny and my sweet dogs always want to be underfoot. I work at a theme park so there are plenty of places to walk. I also have a gym membership for more purposeful exercise. My favorite though is a trail that goes along the river close to my office. Due to tourist season/parking issues I don't utilize that nearly as often as I'd like though.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Currently I'll work out at the gym, outside or at home. Depends on the activity/time of day/weather/daylight.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    In the nice weather I prefer to be outside walking (on my lunch break or after dinner), but when it's 15* out like today, I use the gym.

My company also has a small gym I utilize on my lunch break.

I've done videos at home a few times, but my daughter always distracts me and honestly I prefer to get away for an hour and watch one of my shows while walking on the treadmill and have some me time. I mainly do cardio, so I mostly use the treadmill and stationary bike. I think if I had them at home I wouldn't use them as often.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    In the mountains.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I can't go to my gym right now and like exercising at home because I feel less distracted and like the privacy.

Curious about what other people prefer and for what reasons or benefits it may provide fitness-wise

The great outdoors is where I get most of my exercise. Other than that, a public swimming pool 3 times a week (except when I'm on my period) because I'm not rich enough to have my own pool!
  • Aermorgen
    Aermorgen Posts: 10 Member
    I do a mix of home and outdoor, largely dependent on light and the weather. I prefer outdoors because--according to my physical therapist-- there are things in my gait and how I carry myself that are better when I'm on regular terrain than on a treadmill. I also really enjoy being out in the world in the early morning, when there aren't so many people and I can see the sunrise. There are nearby trails and quiet neighborhoods, and it can be a very peaceful start to the day.

But if it's too dark, there's too much precipitation, or too much snow/ice/mud on the ground, I'm better off on the at-home treadmill. A gym wouldn't work so well with my life right now. Home is fast, convenient, and no wait. Plus I don't have to use headphones if I want to hear a television show.
  • _missfaith_
    _missfaith_ Posts: 6 Member
    Home!
    So I can loudly and horribly sing all of my workout jams outloud! Lol
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Home!
    So I can loudly and horribly sing all of my workout jams outloud! Lol

Haha! Love this! Reminded me that when I was in high school and did theatre I would use the treadmill at home so I could sing and run at the same time to train for intense song/dance numbers in musicals.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    100% at the gym. I like to take group fitness classes that start at a certain time (morning) and I get there about 20 minutes early to save my spot and get a couple miles of treadmill running in before the 45 minute classes.
    I’ve tried working out at home- I even made a room in my house for it with equipment at one point. I was bored out of my mind and unmotivated to start. It sat unused for 2+ years while I went out to the gym each morning instead.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    I love running and hiking outside. The weather, wind and elements really motivate me
    I also like my home gym where I prefer my weights training.

In many ways I prefer my exercise to be private.I have to interact a lit with people and there is a limit The exercise is my me myself and I downtime that I need to reload my energy
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,156 Member
    I’m a gym person. I like the social aspect and it’s a great start to the day. I’m not really home enough to work out and home is mostly a place I sleep, so it’s hard to get motivated to work out there. I also lift way too heavy for a mid-century second floor condo. Never, ever exercise outside. Patio brunch is my primary outdoor activity. I have severe allergies, so an outdoor workout generally leaves me sneezy, wheezy and itchy with a Benadryl haze in my near future. I tried a bootcamp class in the park once and was covered in hives by the time the class ended.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Home or outside. Getting to (and especially from) the gym is a chore. I also can't justify paying for a membership when I can do everything I want to do at home or outside, with the plus side that I get to do it however I want, whenever I want, and in whatever clothes I want.