Plant-Based Members: Seeking Motivation and Support to losing weight and getting in shape!

Hi everyone,

So my life has been a constant up and down struggle with my weight, self-confidence and mental health. After reaching my goal weight of 145 back in 2012 I have been slowly climbing up the weight ladder back to the dreaded 175-180 lbs. zone. I also had a mental break down in June of this year which lead me to participating in a group therapy class. After going to a group therapy class for my depression and anxiety we learned about how what you eat really does affect how you feel. For almost 2 years I have been trying to be on a plant-based diet. Meaning I was completely Vegan for almost 8 months, them started to slowly eat dairy and some meat again. I loved when I was eating more whole grains and vegetables and how I felt less depressed and more alive.

After realizing how badly I want to be back to my lower weight for my health and some of the increase joint pain I have been experiencing, I decided that I am starting today. I am starting back on the plant-based/starch based diet. But with the holidays just around the corner, I know how hard and awful it will be. I know if I have more people to hold me accountable and encourage me to really go after this I can do it. I feel like sometimes for a few days I will be doing well with eating more nutritious foods and being active and then something happens that throws my emotions off. Something as simple as misplacing something and getting upset with myself can make me want to emotional sooth and eat something that I normally associate with as comforting.

I want this. I want to be healthier. I want this for my mental health. I want this for a better life.

If you are someone that is passionate about a plant-based diet and would like to have someone to trade recipes, encouragement and maybe even a friendship; I am definitely that someone :)

Have a wonderful evening,

Sara Jane
Wisconsin, US

Replies

• josefinejem
    josefinejem Posts: 249 Member
    I can relate to a lot in your post - trying to stay plant based (although some meat and, especially, dairy still makes its way into my diet from time to time), the struggle with depression, and similar weight stats. I'm pushing 170lbs right now and want to get to about 143, although my first goal is to get to a healthy BMI which would mean 160-ish.

I'm a serial starter but it's been a long time since I managed to lose any meaningful amount - the last time I was under 150 was three years ago and then only for a few months. Way back I used to be very fit, and it really upsets me how hard it is to get back there. Very happy to provide any support I can! 😊
  • climbingowl
    climbingowl Posts: 2 Member
    yeah, i can relate as well. i've been a vegetarian most of my life and am starting to cut out most dairy now. my weight as always been an issue for me, but i started running and was in pretty good shape for a long time. then i started treatment for depression/anxiety/OCD and one of the medications made me extremely tired and hungry. i ended up putting on 10kg within a few months and motivation to workout or track my food has basically disappeared. So i'm very willing to give support! it's (selfishly) one of the easiest ways to hold myself accountable as well :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    I've been vegetarian or vegan for the last 14 years now, and my diary is open if anyone wants to poke around. I've been working with a dietitian the last few months to help get my macros and micros in better shape, which has been more important as I've gotten serious about running. I'm active on the diary side but not so much on the accountability/support side.
  • saradoug
    saradoug Posts: 11 Member
    So far I am really happy that you all responded! This week I feel like I really failed especially since I actually gained 2 lbs back.... I know this week I definitely was an emotional eater. I was also invited to lunch with some new coworkers and they really didn't have anything on the menu that was healthy vegan because of the tofu is deep fried and the oil in the noodles.

Today is thanks giving, but I am hoping that with my Tofurky, sweet potatoes, Vegan cheesecake and yummy salad that I will not be tempted to eat anything naughty and stick to what I want.

Yesterday I also had biometric testing I had to get done for my new company. My blood pressure was high, my weight was high and my blood sugar I think is also going to be high. Super sad and really starting to realized getting older sucks and how emotional it is to see how healthy I once was and how I want to be that again.

I am going to make today a better and healthier day because every day is a new day. If I keep living in my past days I will never be able to accomplish want I want most. A Healthier and happier life.

I hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving. I am extremely thankful for all of your support.

Sara Jane
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    I’ve been Vegetarian for a little over 2 years. Back in August 2017 my husband and I watched some documentaries on Netflix and Amazon and it only took 5 minutes of one for me to jump on board. We went Whole Foods/plant based. And started exercising regularly. He lost 60 pounds, I lost almost 50 pounds. By last December I had gained back 10 of the pounds I had lost and then I had surgery and slowly gained back more. I was letting processed foods slip back into my diet and was really feeling terrible. By July I was up nearly 20 pounds and decided that was enough. I started intermittent fasting. Only 16:8 to start. I haven’t missed a day since then. My longest fast has been 21 hours. I still eat what I want but within my eating window. And I crave healthier foods now. But if I want a piece of chocolate or a cookie I eat it. IF is working for me and best of all it’s free! Super flexible. I usually skip breakfast and have an eating window of 12:30-6:00. Weekends are different when I’m home. I’m down 18 pounds since July. My first goal is to lose another 20-25 pounds and then reevaluate. My diary is open and I login everyday. Been here over 800 days now. Would love to offer support. Send me a friend request. 😊
  • mmalone1st
    mmalone1st Posts: 3 Member
    day 5 of totally plant based diet. basically experimenting with it to see if it improves my health #s, specifically cholesterol (after watching the shows that CILLAJ8 refers to). any advice or encouragement appreciated. recipes or any tricks welcomed also. thanks!
  • evilwitchvegan
    evilwitchvegan Posts: 17 Member
    I'm in my second year as vegan after 29 years as vegetarian. Add me if you like
  • weepsmom
    weepsmom Posts: 1 Member
    Hi,
    Just wondering... Have you thought about being a “ flexitarian.”
    It’s a mostly plant based diet, with meat or dairy sometimes, like once a week, or on special occasions, like Thanksgiving.
    It makes the lifestyle way easier, and social functions easier as well. If you go to a friends house for dinner, or a family bbq or something, you don’t have to worry that there is nothing there for you to eat, or make it awkward for the host to try and prepare something just for you.
    Just make wise choices when you choose, like a small portion or leaner cut of meat.
    Life is to be enjoyed. You should not feel punished or guilty for any food choice.
    I have all kinds of food allergies and intolerances and that makes social situations hard enough. No, gluten, no dairy, no soy. Then add in the fact that I am mostly plant based, don’t eat refined sugar or oil. It’s almost impossible to eat anywhere but home.
    So, when I go out, or visit someone.... I flex my diet and graciously find something I can have.