Losing fat but gaining weight

Hello! I started my fitness journey 6 weeks ago. I have completely changed my diet (lots of salmon, eggs, chicken, rice and veggies) and I workout 4 or more days a week. I started out at 161 pounds and just weighed myself today and am 166.4 pounds. I’m really getting down on myself about those numbers, because I look and feel different. Any advice? I don’t own a scale at home so don’t plan on weighing myself again for a while. 😬 I have been doing cardio, yoga, strong by Zumba and strength training. Most of my workouts are from 30-60 min (mostly 60 min. because I do a lot of workout classes!) is there something that I’m missing, that I should be doing?

fwqbo0orf5xq.jpeg
j8imcu8g5fsj.jpeg

Replies

• Urun4me
    Urun4me Posts: 37 Member
    Hello! I started my fitness journey 6 weeks ago. I have completely changed my diet (lots of salmon, eggs, chicken, rice and veggies) and I workout 4 or more days a week. I started out at 161 pounds and just weighed myself today and am 166.4 pounds. I’m really getting down on myself about those numbers, because I look and feel different. Any advice? I don’t own a scale at home so don’t plan on weighing myself again for a while. 😬 I have been doing cardio, yoga, strong by Zumba and strength training. Most of my workouts are from 30-60 min (mostly 60 min. because I do a lot of workout classes!) is there something that I’m missing, that I should be doing?

fwqbo0orf5xq.jpeg
    j8imcu8g5fsj.jpeg

Were the top before and bottom before pictures taken at the same time?
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2020
    If you're seeing noticeable changes, you're losing fat. Don't get to hung up on the scale. Your weight fluctuates all the time. Try taking it at the same time, preferably as soon as you wake up before you eat or drink anything, but after you do your morning business. This is about as accurate as you can get.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    You look young enough to be premenopausal. If so, I'd recommend comparing weights at the same point in 2 or more different menstrual cycles. 6 weeks wouldn't result in that for most women.

Further, a new workout routine commonly involves more water retention for muscle repair. You may still be in a stage where that masks some fat loss on the scale.

You look slimmer, so you're making progress. Eventually, the scale will reflect that. (I know that's frustrating.)

Fat loss is about calorie balance, not about workouts per se or quality of food. But since your scale weights aren't reflecting your appearance changes, and you're not at a point where scale weight comparisons are really assuredly valid, I'm intentionally not asking how you're tracking calories. ;)

Best wishes!
  • HCAs85
    HCAs85 Posts: 12 Member
    Damn girl, looks like good progress!
    If you look and feel different in a good way, then keep at it! Don't sweat the numbers.

I judge my progress based on how loose my shirts and pants feel... or tight. :wink: